997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Champion 68 turbos - first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by prodigymb
subscribing for some numbers from Cobb and PTF on the VTGs.
Our mate from Stockholm on porscheboost has the COBB AP running a tune by Mitch with 1000ccs running E85...

His times 60-100 mph went from 3.2 seconds on pump gas (best), averaging 3.3+ to sub 2.8 seconds with E85 and the 1000cc injectors.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
Our mate from Stockholm on porscheboost has the COBB AP running a tune by Mitch with 1000ccs running E85...

His times 60-100 mph went from 3.2 seconds on pump gas (best), averaging 3.3+ to sub 2.8 seconds with E85 and the 1000cc injectors.
what turbos? good result!

Old 09-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Glad to hear you've finally got them on the car Bogg.

My apologies about not replying...I just went back through all my PM's and it shows that I replied to all of them, so I'm not sure what could have happened. There was a period of a few weeks where I was very sick and didn't respond quickly, but I tried to get back to everyone. So again, apologies.

If there's anything I can do to help you out...you know you can always let me know.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:52 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
No worries Tom. Hope you are back at 100% health wise. That's the priority.

You had already provided all the info anyone could want about the 68s, and that's what I appreciated and that's why they were top of my list. I wanted to stick with vtgs for a number of reasons and they seem to be the top dog in the vtg dept.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
Quite a few of us doing big VTGs with Mitch this week.
Really has been a bigger VTG week this week!

Thanks guys!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 09-19-2014, 11:47 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
what turbos? good result!
I will check but I think it is stock VTG 997.1

Old 09-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Hope he and Mitch don't mind me posting over here but it is a stock VTG 997.1 with the following mods

Kline catless exhaust
997.2/GT2RS IC's
Cobb E85 custom tune by Mitch
ID1000 injectors
Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

The thing that amazed me was how much quicker 60-100 mph is now for him, 0.5 seconds on average just adding the E85 tune and 1000cc's from COBB

Old 09-19-2014, 12:53 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
Hope he and Mitch don't mind me posting over here but it is a stock VTG 997.1 with the following mods

Kline catless exhaust
997.2/GT2RS IC's
Cobb E85 custom tune by Mitch
ID1000 injectors
Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

The thing that amazed me was how much quicker 60-100 mph is now for him, 0.5 seconds on average just adding the E85 tune and 1000cc's from COBB
Mod list is correct Mitch@Cobb has been fantastic, the car is simply scary!

Old 09-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Mod list is correct Mitch@Cobb has been fantastic, the car is simply scary!
that is an outstanding performance.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:54 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Woo can't wait!

-Mitch
Yes me too & glad to see several people all doing 68's this week it should make the learning curve a little easier ,looking forward to seeing what you & BBI can get out of these.

You are so lucky to have e85 - "corn on the Cobb"! The 1k injectors will be perfect for the 68s with e85, and I KNOW you will hit sub 6s 60-130. Keep us posted on your impressions. I think you had bigger vtgs at some point before, right? (63s or 65s?)
Yes i ran 63's for a while but went back to stock ,as a friend really wanted my 63's & i have a full fuel system upgrade pumps ,lines & 1k injectors with side air intakes & catless BBI 3' exhaust

Last edited by twturbo; 09-19-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Just got my first set of pbox results on v4 of the tune. Disclaimer: it's not a full Champion 68 kit so I don't know how it would compare with the full kit (no one ever posted pump gas numbers). We're still tweaking the tune but I'm very happy with the results at this point:
60-100mph in 3rd gear sport mode, pump gas (94 octane), slight uphill (0.4%) - 3.0s (3.4s with previous 63s), 3.4s in lo boost (3.7s with previous 63s). It may not seem like a big time difference but the butt dyno really notices it. On a flat or slight downhill I think it is good for high 2.x 60-100 on pumpgas. I'm not sure how much more tweaking Dzenno can do but I'm already happy with the results. Wasn't able to get any 60-130 or 100-200k times due to traffic.

More to come...

Old 09-19-2014, 02:04 PM
oh, and it hit 0.7Gs!!! whoo-hooo

Old 09-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
oh, and it hit 0.7Gs!!! whoo-hooo
I told you...you're going to love those turbos and they'll surprise a lot of people.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
I told you...you're going to love those turbos and they'll surprise a lot of people.
I believed you that the turbos were awesome but I had been told that on pumpgas they wouldn't be much better than what I had. So far there is enough of a difference even on pumpgas that I consider it a worthwhile improvement and worth the money. But everyone has a different threshold for what they consider "value". There's no doubt that on racegas and e85 these things get unleashed. But pumpgas is no slouch.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
They're definitely an upgrade over OEM VTGs. Glad you're enjoying it The Bogg

It really is highly recommended to custom tune any given setup if you're looking to get the most out of it. Off the shelf maps are great starting points for all of our custom calibrations but very often they leave power on the table as they're made to suit a vast range of cars/octane/conditions/altitudes/etc. With our remote custom tuning service we don't have to be in the same city, country or even continent. As long as you've got internet access and a Cobb Accessport we can work together and get a custom map tailored to your modifications, octane and driving needs/goals and the Cobb Accessport device/platform enables us to provide you with what we do day in day out on this and other Cobb supported platforms.

Dzenno@PTF/PTG

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 09-19-2014 at 06:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Champion 68 turbos - first impressions