997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Champion 68 turbos - first impressions

Old 09-19-2014, 02:59 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Dzenno is a magician - with each datalog he sends me a new revised map (currently on v4) and he magically finds more power!!!! I spent hours figuring out how to graph (in Excel) the changes based on "load" only to discover that it doesn't necessarily correlate with pbox times. DAMMIT!!!! I'll post them up later anyway since I have the data...

Old 09-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
This is turning into great thread. Thanks for sharing the results as you continue to find more power.

Cobb: Where are the upgraded 997.2 vtgs? Have you done any?

Old 09-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Stage7
This is turning into great thread. Thanks for sharing the results as you continue to find more power.

We are tuning a 2012 pdk locally, just awaiting the new 3bar TMAP sensors to arrive before turning things up.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !

No have not done some yet. Stock turbos do so well that I haven't really been pushing customers to try them.

I know PTF has a car up in the land of Canada that they are going to tune soon, they are just waiting on the BBI map sensors.

They should have data for them soon. We have an Alpha 30 car to tune soon, once I get back from Japan I will get that thing tuned. We have some things to test for the fuel system, as well as some other PDK stuff that BBI has been working on. Should be a good test. Trying to get this done before SEMA, as the car will be at SEMA.

Lots of big things coming from us in the coming months for Porsche platforms of all kinds.

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 09-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
We are tuning a 2012 pdk locally, just awaiting the new 3bar TMAP sensors to arrive before turning things up.
Haha beat me to it!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 09-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute

What size turbos is it using? How is the drivability/low end lag compared to stock vtgs so far?

Old 09-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Haha beat me to it!

-Mitch
Reaction time record holder here, no joke lol

What size turbos is it using? How is the drivability/low end lag compared to stock vtgs so far?
Same as OP, Champion 68s. Drivability is very similar to OEM, just a little more lag from what we've seen so far.

We're in the process of fitting an Aquamist HFS-4 kit to the 997.2 car so that'll be another interesting data point to review along with OEM fuel system limitations.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:11 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I met the guy who has the .2tt with 68s. He is hardcore! His daily rear tires are Mickey Thompson drag radials. I pity the car that pulls up beside him at a stoplight.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 PM
dynotune tomorrow morning on a Mustang AWD dyno. Some fine tuning and then that should be it. I would have liked to have dynoed the car with the 63s on it for comparison but too late now.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
Sweet good luck guys!!

-Mitch

Old 09-20-2014, 01:58 PM
What an experience watching my car get dyno tuned. Big thanks to Dzenno for his patience, persistence and skill. We didn't get it finished today for a few reasons - the dyno operator had to leave, I was low on gas, etc...

I have some pics which I will post up later. The dyno was a top of the line Mustang AWD 1750 which is a "load" type of dyno instead of the more typical "inertia" dyno. this dyno costs big bucks (I believe over 100k).

I'll definitely post more details a bit later but just wanted to say holy crap what an experience watching the car tuning process. It is LOUD in there in an enclosed "booth". Car shrieks like a racing car with the AWE catless system. I was just thinking about that open source programming discussed in the other thread and after seeing what is involved there is no way on earth I would tinker myself. It's like a rubics cube - you make 1 small change and it affects the other 5 sides, but in this case there are more than 5 sides. It takes patience because each change means turning the car off, loading the changed file, starting the car, and dyno running. We did about 8 or 9 dyno pulls and I didn't fill up the car beforehand and we were running low near the end.

Long story short, you can have good looking datalogs but it really is worthwhile to see how that translates to the dyno. The 5 bar fpr caused a little bit of difficulty because it would lead to some "ringing" in the afr. Just needs a bit more work to sort out perfectly but it was causing a drop in hp/tq in the mid 5k range.

Subjectively the v12 of the tune feels really powerful. 60-100 went down to 2.8s, but I don't know if the down slope is more than 3%, I forgot to put my memory card into the pbox.

More to come...

Old 09-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by The Bogg
What an experience watching my car get dyno tuned. Big thanks to Dzenno for his patience, persistence and skill. We didn't get it finished today for a few reasons - the dyno operator had to leave, I was low on gas, etc...

I have some pics which I will post up later. The dyno was a top of the line Mustang AWD 1750 which is a "load" type of dyno instead of the more typical "inertia" dyno. this dyno costs big bucks (I believe over 100k).

I'll definitely post more details a bit later but just wanted to say holy crap what an experience watching the car tuning process. It is LOUD in there in an enclosed "booth". Car shrieks like a racing car with the AWE catless system. I was just thinking about that open source programming discussed in the other thread and after seeing what is involved there is no way on earth I would tinker myself. It's like a rubics cube - you make 1 small change and it affects the other 5 sides, but in this case there are more than 5 sides. It takes patience because each change means turning the car off, loading the changed file, starting the car, and dyno running. We did about 8 or 9 dyno pulls and I didn't fill up the car beforehand and we were running low near the end.

Long story short, you can have good looking datalogs but it really is worthwhile to see how that translates to the dyno. The 5 bar fpr caused a little bit of difficulty because it would lead to some "ringing" in the afr. Just needs a bit more work to sort out perfectly but it was causing a drop in hp/tq in the mid 5k range.

Subjectively the v12 of the tune feels really powerful. 60-100 went down to 2.8s, but I don't know if the down slope is more than 3%, I forgot to put my memory card into the pbox.

More to come...
2.8! for pump gas that's quite a bit better than my best OEM VTG time and we have a bit more in there top end..great times today but more to follow for sure

Dzenno@PTF/PTG

Old 09-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Reaction time record holder here, no joke lol

Same as OP, Champion 68s. Drivability is very similar to OEM, just a little more lag from what we've seen so far.

We're in the process of fitting an Aquamist HFS-4 kit to the 997.2 car so that'll be another interesting data point to review along with OEM fuel system limitations.
I'm very interested in hearing what comes of the Aquamist. Are you using it for octane/additional/cooling or only cooling? I was advised against installing the Aquamist in my 997.2 due to the inability to ensure even fuel distribution between the cylinders.

Originally Posted by The Bogg
I met the guy who has the .2tt with 68s. He is hardcore! His daily rear tires are Mickey Thompson drag radials. I pity the car that pulls up beside him at a stoplight.
The guy definitely sounds hardcore. I'm interested in the larger turbos for more hp on pump gas vs. needing race fuel. Sounds like he is a street warrior.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Former Vendor
I'm very interested in hearing what comes of the Aquamist. Are you using it for octane/additional/cooling or only cooling? I was advised against installing the Aquamist in my 997.2 due to the inability to ensure even fuel distribution between the cylinders.
No reason not to run meth on this platform. Whoever advised against it really hasn't had much experience tuning with a good meth kit. 997.2 will have quite a nice distribution given intake manifold design.

We will run it to take advantage of all aspects meth injection brings to the table.

The guy definitely sounds hardcore. I'm interested in the larger turbos for more hp on pump gas vs. needing race fuel. Sounds like he is a street warrior.
He has been in this scene for a very long time. Hardcore is an understatement really

Old 09-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
Good job guys! !

-Mitch

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Champion 68 turbos - first impressions