997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Champion 68 turbos - first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:39 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
It was a nice cool (high 40s, low 50s) dry day today so I tried a few runs with v20 of the tune. v19 was the one that produced the 2.7s 60-100mph run but after the car adapted it wasn't as fast. It was evident that timing was being pulled in the midband (that Cobb AP shows a LOT of info in the datalogs) and it did correlate with the pbox times and butt dyno. v20 is much smoother overall, although I do miss the big torque hump around 4k rpm. But like xbox from Sweden said in his thread, the joy of a well tuned car is how easy and enjoyable it is to drive at all speeds, including plodding around town. The part throttle and on/off throttle performance of v20 is waaaay better than v19 and the repeatable performance isn't that far off:

I did a bunch of runs and just couldn't get the 6.x 60-130 I've been looking for. Dammit, if I'd skipped those 2 beers last night the weight reduction may have made the difference, lol. But seriously, I filled up the gas tank just before the runs. I had considered filling only a 1/4 tank but I was just too lazy to consider going back to the gas station again. Besides, these runs are just for fun. I know the car has a mid-6 60-130 in her. We are holding it back in the upper rpms because IDC is in the mid-90s. The times are the same whether I do it in 4th gear or 3-4shift. With the 3-4shift the IDC transiently hits over 100% when throttle is reapplied...yes, I know, time for some larger injectors.
If you look at the datalogs it's astonishing how fast the ecu reacts to and adjusts things like short term fuel trims, lambdas, timing, boost. In v20 there is a little pulling of timing but only 2-3 degrees max. I've been led to believe that it is "okay".

I probably won't get any more pbox data in until I get new injectors but I kept my promise of pumpgas data for the Champion 68s, and there will be more to come... In summary, without doing anything more (i.e. staying with stock injectors) the 68s on our pumpgas (94octane) are equivalent to my old 63s on racegas (6.9x 60-130). If you factor in what racegas costs up here (never mind the inconvenience), the turbos and accessories (inlet pipes, Cobb AP) pay for themselves in about 2 to 3 years if I was going to use racegas exclusively for my dd car if I had kept the 63s.

Last edited by The Bogg; 10-05-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Ahh such a tease, so close! Just a little slope and you got a 6.7-6.8 even with a full tank of gas let alone if you ran it in January with some really cool dense air..great run!

Old 10-06-2014, 12:02 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Nice write up Bogg.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:12 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
find a hill

Old 10-08-2014, 11:41 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
find a hill
lol

I see you just snuck into the 6's - by the hair on your chinny chin chin.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Nice write up Bogg.
Thanks Nick.

I did some more pbox runs, but this time the targets were different. It was meant to simulate what the car is like in a roll-on event, at the track, or visiting Mexico. There are 2 ranges - 75-110mph and 75-125mph, and both of the runs start at 74mph and then mash the throttle. I think this is more indicative of "real world" performance than the 60-130 because there are so many ways to get a specific number but it doesn't tell you how well the car would do in a roll-on (if that matters at all, it does to me!).

Here are the numbers comparing the Protomotive 63vtgs with the Champion 68s on v20 of the tune:

75-110 75-125

Proto 4.3s 6.2s
68vtgs 3.7s 5.4s

Both in 4th gear with sport mode on. Same stretch of road, same gas. Not sure if conditions were the same but probably similar.

These numbers correlate well with my subjective impressions of the 68s over the Proto 63s. And we're not done tweaking the 68s yet.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:52 AM
v19 of the tune was good for a 2.69 60-100mph initially, but then the performance dropped off as timing was being pulled. Interestingly, the results on v19 for 75-110 and 75-125 ended up the SAME as Proto 63s!!! The details of the tune really matter...thanks for the continued tweaking Dzenno!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Nice numbers. I never did do 60-130 runs on the proto 67mms on pump gas so nothing to compare between ours. But I'd imagine the 68s and 67s are performing very similar and you could shave a second and get 6.0 60-130 on race gas or e85?

Old 10-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Nice numbers. I never did do 60-130 runs on the proto 67mms on pump gas so nothing to compare between ours. But I'd imagine the 68s and 67s are performing very similar and you could shave a second and get 6.0 60-130 on race gas or e85?
Another user did 5.9s on e85 and he ran out of injector with 80lb injectors and 5bar fpr. Not sure how much headroom was left but probably at least a few more ticks based on what he told me. Wish I had that magical corn here.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Another user did 5.9s on e85 and he ran out of injector with 80lb injectors and 5bar fpr. Not sure how much headroom was left but probably at least a few more ticks based on what he told me. Wish I had that magical corn here.
yep my buddy just bought that car few months ago. i had it for a few weeks driving it around, feels fast. it made 560awhp on the mustang that I use at UNdercover. It is def out of fuel pump or out of injector, or both on ethanol so we will be adding 1400cc injectors to it and possibly fuel pumps as well as getting rid of the proto tune.

In my opinion the Proto tune is not good on that car, its too touchy, cold starts are mehh, car shuts off sometimes also sometimes after launching it will cut power in 1st gear ( literllay slams TB shut).

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 10-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
v19 of the tune was good for a 2.69 60-100mph initially, but then the performance dropped off as timing was being pulled. Interestingly, the results on v19 for 75-110 and 75-125 ended up the SAME as Proto 63s!!! The details of the tune really matter...thanks for the continued tweaking Dzenno!
You're welcome buddy. To be fair to the 63 turbos I haven't had a chance yet to get my hands on a set of those to tune just yet to compare with similar tuning/gas/conditions and our tuning approach. If anyone's got a pair and would like to give a custom Cobb tune a try let me know dzenno@protuningfreaks.com

Dzenno@PTF

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 11-05-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
yep my buddy just bought that car few months ago. i had it for a few weeks driving it around, feels fast. it made 560awhp on the mustang that I use at UNdercover. It is def out of fuel pump or out of injector, or both on ethanol so we will be adding 1400cc injectors to it and possibly fuel pumps as well as getting rid of the proto tune.

In my opinion the Proto tune is not good on that car, its too touchy, cold starts are mehh, car shuts off sometimes also sometimes after launching it will cut power in 1st gear ( literllay slams TB shut).
He sounded happier with it than you, lol. He did say that the new owner was putting on bigger injectors. As is, he ran 10.2 at 137 on e85 which is pretty decent for vtgs.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by proTUNING Group
You're welcome buddy. To be fair to the 63 turbos I haven't had a chance yet to get my hands on a set of those to tune just yet to compare with similar tuning/gas/conditions and our tuning approach. If anyone's got a pair and would like to give a custom Cobb tune a try let me know dzenno@protuninggroup.com

Dzenno@PTG
This is true. The Proto tune was very driveable with smooth timing curve. Boost peaked at 1.5bar. There may be more in it with those turbos but it would mean pushing things harder...

Old 10-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Yep sounds about right - I did one pull and got 6.0 also out of injector with 80# and 5bar fpr. 5.9 probably would have happened if I wasn't terrified of getting pulled over going 130

Old 10-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Yep sounds about right - I did one pull and got 6.0 also out of injector with 80# and 5bar fpr. 5.9 probably would have happened if I wasn't terrified of getting pulled over going 130
lol

what inlet pipes do you have? fenderwell?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Champion 68 turbos - first impressions