997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Once again trans problems!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:23 AM
jessesick is on a distinguished road
Once again trans problems!

08 tip turbo...... Ever so often while hard acceleration it seems to pop outta gear, over rev, and not go back into gear until it restarted.... Porsche has put in 2 transmissions and says it's fine... They see over revs but don't know why. Until a cel they can't do anything... I have videos doing it and nothing is being done... I've almost been killed on several occasions by traffic since I have to stop the car. Any help would be awesome since I just bought the car and paying for a car I'm afraid to drive!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
call PCNA, tell them the situation and its a lawsuit waiting to happen. There are a lot of TERRIBLE dealers that love the no CEL cant help you. You arent in Las vegas are you?
tranny popping from gear is potentially an installation problem

Old 09-21-2014, 02:20 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Is the vehicle stock?

The condition you are describing is "normal" from a safety perspective but only under limited conditions. For example, let's say you are in cold temps, turn off PSM and traction control and nail it. Your car will likely spin all four tires, possibly go a bit sideways and may cause the situation you are describing to happen, e.g. ECU puts car into "neutral" mode.

This should not happen under normal hard acceleration. I bet something is up with the TCU/ECU.

I have read from others who are modified that they adjust TCU/ECU to avoid this.

Good luck and let us know how this plays out.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Cuban Cigar KSA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jessesick
08 tip turbo...... Ever so often while hard acceleration it seems to pop outta gear, over rev, and not go back into gear until it restarted.... Porsche has put in 2 transmissions and says it's fine... They see over revs but don't know why. Until a cel they can't do anything... I have videos doing it and nothing is being done... I've almost been killed on several occasions by traffic since I have to stop the car. Any help would be awesome since I just bought the car and paying for a car I'm afraid to drive!
I had this once only on the first gear (on manual shifting) and the traction where off so my car (tuned) and on a slippery road got the trans to slip , i restarted then becomes normal

Old 09-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
it IS NOT normal to have a car pop from gear and have NO power..

Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
It depends what you describe as "normal", which is why I put that in quotes. Under normal hard acceleration this should not happen, e.g. going into neutral mode. He should definitely get the vehicle checked.

Alternatively, Porsche has built in safety systems, even when PSM and traction control are turned off, to protect the driver, e.g. vehicle goes into neutral mode when TCU/ECU pick up tires spinning and vehicle going sideways. This certainly wouldn't be what Porsche describes as normal driving.

Whether we like it or not this is built in. There is no pop per-say, rather it simply goes into neutral and must be shut down and restarted to reset.

This type of neutral mode is likely to trigger more often if someone has a modified turbo and turns all safety features off. I have read this can be dealt with through programming but I don't have more details. I believe a very competent Porsche mechanics should be able to deal with this issue.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by PSTT07
It depends what you describe as "normal", which is why I put that in quotes. Under normal hard acceleration this should not happen, e.g. going into neutral mode. He should definitely get the vehicle checked.

Alternatively, Porsche has built in safety systems, even when PSM and traction control are turned off, to protect the driver, e.g. vehicle goes into neutral mode when TCU/ECU pick up tires spinning and vehicle going sideways. This certainly wouldn't be what Porsche describes as normal driving.

Whether we like it or not this is built in. There is no pop per-say, rather it simply goes into neutral and must be shut down and restarted to reset.

This type of neutral mode is likely to trigger more often if someone has a modified turbo and turns all safety features off. I have read this can be dealt with through programming but I don't have more details. I believe a very competent Porsche mechanics should be able to deal with this issue.
Yeah nanny mod is one thing, but this is different.
My red flag is the idiot dealer is saying NO CEL no problem. I know PCNA would not buy that. IE a car on fire due to a leak would not kick a CEL. Dealers try that argument when they dont want to work with you

Old 09-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Agree, it is very frustrating that many dealers don't accommodate owners as they should, and quite frankly are often obligated to do,

Old 09-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !
What mods do you have on the car?

100-200km/h: 2.16 sec
200-300km/h: 3.43 sec
60-130mph: 2.52 sec
100-150mph: 2.19 sec
Email: emre@esmotor.com.tr
Web: http://www.esmotor.com.tr
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/esmotor
Old 09-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Stock other than muffler delete fabspeed 200cats and a Cobb tune ...... Sport mode on getting on it hard 1 of every hundred accelerations and it does this sometimes every day it's random.... No tcu upgrades ... Thanks for the ideas and help

Old 09-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Have a video of it.... Way to post one in here?

Old 09-21-2014, 04:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !
Did you try it with stock ecu file?

100-200km/h: 2.16 sec
200-300km/h: 3.43 sec
60-130mph: 2.52 sec
100-150mph: 2.19 sec
Email: emre@esmotor.com.tr
Web: http://www.esmotor.com.tr
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/esmotor
Old 09-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Not yet.... But Mitch has been trying to help me with the issue even though it probably has nothing to do with the Cobb.... Haven't got a chance to log the event yet....

Old 09-21-2014, 07:59 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Not yet.... But Mitch has been trying to help me with the issue even though it probably has nothing to do with the Cobb.... Haven't got a chance to log the event yet....
Did you ever have the issue prior to your tune? That would be a good sign...

DC

Old 09-21-2014, 08:43 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
Wonder if perhaps you should return it to stock tune now & see if issue continues. If not that tells you something, then keep tune stock when getting this looked at by PNA or dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Once again trans problems!