997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Tip vs 6 speed from a roll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:05 AM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
To the OP: The owner's manual of my 997.1 tip has the performance figures at the back and claims 0-60 3.4 for the tip and 3.7 for the manual. That's probably with brake boosting but still significant. If you assume Porsche is conservative then maybe shave off 2/10ths of second on each. Don't know about rolling starts but probably very close as others have suggested. Can't go wrong with any version so enjoy your new ride!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
MT owner, drove both MT andTIP and also PDK, just my opinion

launch - tip
roll - depends
$$$ - tip
track - manual
fun - manual
DD - tip

Launch is very easy with the tiptronic and very consistent run after run, I saw as low as 1.4 and 1.5s 60ft for both, but very very very hard to do with the MT; 1/4 mile TIP is way better. My best is 1.7s MT.. 0-60 usually the tip is at least 0.2-0.3s faster; TIP wins!!

Roll racing - depends... how many shifts involved ? start and end speed, distance, etc... tip is 5 gear so 5th gear is longer but the car is slower once there.. no lift shift makes a big difference, etc... my 996tt rwd mt versus a 997tt tip - i loose 1/2car length max on each shift,in between even at the same power level my car is faster, 5th gear - game over!! As power increases will be harder to shift the MT as everything happens really fast and TIP might become a good option. A fast MT shift will take 0.2-0.3 seconds with minimal boost loss considering also a supporting tune, average shift time for an average tuned MT car i suppose is 0.3 to 0.5 sec, multiply that with 2 or 3 shifts ... and there the TIP shines

Race track - if tip is upshifting by itself, for me is - no thanks !

Fun - for me MT is the way to go

DD - tip, no questions.. our clutches arent the most comfortable anyway

Old 10-21-2014, 03:52 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
Its not a "regular old auto transmission" and you are wrong on your boost holding. The tip is faster in every way. And please the DT loss and weight is a tired old argument from the uninformed. You lose all credibility using it. Its 70 pounds more, and Porsche factored everything into it and still made it faster. You do realize faster equates across the board, faster in corners faster out. Not just in a straight line.

read above as to why you get one. Because you want to outperform every porsche on the road but the PDK.

You do realize that stock for stock the tip is over a second faster 0-100 even though the tip is behind until 30mph. The tip is even faster from a roll. The ability to put constant and CONSISTENT power is something the tip gives you that the 6spd never will.
That is why the tip and its "regular old auto transmission" is a better performing car.
That is facts not opinion. Be a purist and row gears, no one is knocking you like you are bashing the tip. But remember you traded the performance to row.
The tiptronic auto trans is a regular old automatic transmission. It is a torque converter, planetary gearset auto....those have been around 80 years. As far as drivetrain losses, a regular old auto/AWD setup will have a substantially higher drivetrain loss than a manual trans setup. Every. Time. This is fact. Fight it all you want.

Also, if you knew anything about performance software, you would know that "no lift to shift" options on the manual trans cars keep the throttle plate WIDE open on the shifts. You keep the throttle pegged to the floor and simply press the clutch in and shift. Boost usually falls 4-6 psi from peak. In this case, the boost would drop to somewhere around 12 psi during the shift and nearly instantaneously be back to peak at around 17-19 psi. That is a far cry from going totally into vacuum and then building back up to full boost after a regular shift. It also makes a HUGE difference in the acceleration a manual trans turbo car.

Finally, if I wanted a tip, I would have gotten one. I wouldn't buy a sports car like an 911 to buzz around like I was in a Caddy. The market also agrees, which is why the tip cars languish on the used market for months, and then sell at a large discount compared to their manual trans peers.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:58 PM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by A418t81
Finally, if I wanted a tip, I would have gotten one. I wouldn't buy a sports car like an 911 to buzz around like I was in a Caddy. The market also agrees, which is why the tip cars languish on the used market for months, and then sell at a large discount compared to their manual trans peers.

Good I'll be looking to buy soon !!

Old 10-21-2014, 04:04 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thegame
Good I'll be looking to buy soon !!
Indeed. If the tip is what you are looking for, it is a win-win

Old 10-21-2014, 04:09 PM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by A418t81
Indeed. If the tip is what you are looking for, it is a win-win
how much do you think I can expect to pay for the following car

997.1 TT
tiptronic
low miles (25k or less)
clean carfax, well maintained with records, no accidents or paint work

silver or gray car with black interior
The only option I care about is the sports chrono package

im thinking 70-75k??

Old 10-21-2014, 07:18 PM
nuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the rough

997.1 TT
tiptronic
low miles (25k or less)

im thinking 70-75k??
I think that's a little on the high side. I have the car you describe. I bought mine with 25k miles, mint, sport chrono, full leather, red stitching everywhere, red belts, and a bunch of smaller cosmetic options and I paid just under $65k out the door. I'd like to think prices went up to the 70-75 range, but I don't think so.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !

997.1 TT
tiptronic
low miles (25k or less)

im thinking 70-75k??
70-75k for a 6speed, 60-65k for a tip I would say.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:29 PM
I love you guys

Old 10-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
I think that's a little on the high side. I have the car you describe. I bought mine with 25k miles, mint, sport chrono, full leather, red stitching everywhere, red belts, and a bunch of smaller cosmetic options and I paid just under $65k out the door. I'd like to think prices went up to the 70-75 range, but I don't think so.
Where did you find yours? I plan to look on here and some forum dealers here. Cargurus and autotrader is an option too I guess. I'd like to find one on here though cause seems the posters here usually care for their cars more.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:23 PM
nuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the rough
Where did you find yours? I plan to look on here and some forum dealers here. Cargurus and autotrader is an option too I guess. I'd like to find one on here though cause seems the posters here usually care for their cars more.
Byers Porsche in Columbus OH. Great dealership and plenty of awesome cars to pick from.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:29 PM
I think I am going to make a wtb thread now. Will most likely take me a few months to find the right car. If I find the perfect one I can jump on it.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:57 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Squat
Dude that is about 2-3 seconds, you can generally figure 1 second is a car length or close....
Beating somebody by 2-3 car lengths in a 1/4 mile race is definitely NOT 2-3 seconds unless the cars are traveling about 10mph. At 125+mph a car length isn't even a tenth of a second difference.

This whole thread is insane to read. If the OP has a medical issue, then the TIP is the better choice regardless of which is faster. With that said, I'm horrible at launching my 6-spd so I'd probably lose to most "fast" cars in a short race.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
I think it's worth noting that ESMotors has one of the fastest Turbos (If I remember correctly ) and it's a tip.

I personally would go for a 6 speed but based on what the OP said about health issues and the goal of doing roll race events the tip is probably a better choice.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rix
70-75k for a 6speed, 60-65k for a tip I would say.
other way around but you cant hide bias

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Tip vs 6 speed from a roll