997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Tip vs 6 speed from a roll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 03:59 PM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
997.1 Tip vs 6 speed from a roll

I know the cars are very similar in performance but I have read two separate things on the forum. I read the tips do very well from a roll because they don't lose as much boost between shifts and seem to hold boost. I also read lots of comments saying the 6speed would have an advantage from a roll.

I was wondering which is more accurate or if they are really so close it would be a drivers race. I am sure the 6 speed would be more fun but for a health reason the Tip is easier for me. I was all set on the tip but I know I'll take the car to some roll racing events and that was important to me. Please let me know what you guys think. I cannot afford a PDK right now and I don't want to wait any longer. I will be picking up a low mile 07-09 Turbo this spring. Just have to decide for sure Tip or 6 speed. Thanks

Last edited by thegame; 10-17-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:46 PM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sorry I should have put "question" in the title. Hope that didn't trick people. I just wanted to know if the tiptronic is at a big disadvantage from a roll race. Thanks guys.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by thegame
I know the cars are very similar in performance but I have read two separate things on the forum. I read the tips do very well from a roll because they don't lose as much boost between shifts and seem to hold boost. I also read lots of comments saying the 6speed would have an advantage from a roll.

I was wondering which is more accurate or if they are really so close it would be a drivers race. I am sure the 6 speed would be more fun but for a health reason the Tip is easier for me. I was all set on the tip but I know I'll take the car to some roll racing events and that was important to me. Please let me know what you guys think. I cannot afford a PDK right now and I don't want to wait any longer. I will be picking up a low mile 07-09 Turbo this spring. Just have to decide for sure Tip or 6 speed. Thanks
Having driven both the tip is more fun and way faster. Hit the sport button drop a gear stand on it and hold on. I should just put this in my sig. the Tip holds boost between shifts, the 6 speed doesnt. So what every boost you have in the tip you will keep then add too it.
I would never buy a 6spd with how much better the autos of today are. Its fun to jump in the old Mroadster here and there but I quickly tire of it.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Squat
Having driven both the tip is more fun and way faster. Hit the sport button drop a gear stand on it and hold on. I should just put this in my sig. the Tip holds boost between shifts, the 6 speed doesnt. So what every boost you have in the tip you will keep then add too it.
I would never buy a 6spd with how much better the autos of today are. Its fun to jump in the old Mroadster here and there but I quickly tire of it.
If you hit sport button and drop down manually to the appropriate gear after you floor it can you put it back in auto and let the car up shift itself? Just curious.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Oh yeah or not touch it and it will go back to auto.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Squat
Oh yeah or not touch it and it will go back to auto.
Thanks for the info

Old 10-17-2014, 09:26 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
The tip sucks up power, and weighs more. If you can shift well a 6 speed should definitely win from a roll. The tiptronic is a Mercedes luxury car transmission. I'm all about PDK, but I would skip the tip. Just my opinion, obviously others here disagree .

Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by rix
The tip sucks up power, and weighs more. If you can shift well a 6 speed should definitely win from a roll. The tiptronic is a Mercedes luxury car transmission. I'm all about PDK, but I would skip the tip. Just my opinion, obviously others here disagree .
Lol see that's pretty much the EXACT opposite of what the other poster stated. I'm thinking I'd be happy with either but the tip fits my lifestyle a little more so even if 6speed is a little faster I should stick with the tip. Thanks for the advice guys

Old 10-17-2014, 09:49 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
The tiptronic is a torque converter style automatic. It will slip something like 5%. That's just how they operate there isn't any getting around it. It will probably eat up 30hp or more on a typical 911 Turbo. The PDK is basically a pneumatic (air) shifted manual transmission. It shifts faster than the triptronic, and it doesn't have a torque converter so it doesn't suck up power. Best of both worlds.

It is an advantage to leave the throttle open during the shift like you can with the auto, but the extra weight and power loss WILL make it slower at peak acceleration. If you want a tiptronic then that's what you should get, enjoy the car. Keep in mind though that you did specify a pretty narrowly defined situation - a race from a roll. You can always do a few mods to make an extra 30-40hp .

Last edited by rix; 10-17-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by rix
The tiptronic is a torque converter style automatic. It will slip something like 5%. That's just how they are operate there isn't any getting around it. It will probably eat up 30hp or more on a typical 911 Turbo. The PDK is basically a pneumatic (air) shifted manual transmission. It shifts faster than the triptronic, and it doesn't have a torque converter so it doesn't suck up power. Best of both worlds.

It is an advantage to leave the throttle open during the shift like you can with the auto, but the extra weight and power loss WILL make it slower at peak acceleration. If you want a tiptronic then that's what you should get, enjoy the car. Keep in mind though that you did specify a pretty narrowly defined situation - a race from a roll. You can always do a few mods to make an extra 30-40hp .
Excellent point !! My plan was to do the following

Stage 1
Ecu flash
Exhaust with high flow cats
Upgraded inter coolers.

Stage 2
Then later down the road do the tiptronic build upgrade to strengthen it for more power and upgrade the turbos.

I'm sure I'm going to love this car even with the stage 1 mods I plan to have done.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:53 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
If you want to see how fun an engaging at ALL TIME a 600 rwhp 6MT is you can come here to Long Island and drive mine.... it is fun to say the least but can be a handful

Old 10-18-2014, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by rix
LOL because you have never driven one and dont understand why it "cant handle power" A stock tip will destroy a decently modded 6spd.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by rix
The tiptronic is a torque converter style automatic. It will slip something like 5%. That's just how they operate there isn't any getting around it. It will probably eat up 30hp or more on a typical 911 Turbo. The PDK is basically a pneumatic (air) shifted manual transmission. It shifts faster than the triptronic, and it doesn't have a torque converter so it doesn't suck up power. Best of both worlds.

Dude you are wrong. The PDK is better than a tip, but you really have no idea what the deal is. The tip cant handle big power for the SAME reason the PDK can't. The tip HOLDS BOOST longer and if you are dumping 14psi of boost onto a gear change you are going to destroy your engine/tranny unless you have the beef to hold it.
So can a 6sp put up a Great HP number on a dyno? SURE but a 550hp crank 6sp will barely run with a stock tip.

The 0-60 is 3.0-4 ( depending on driver) and the Manual is 3.5 ( best I have seen ) to 3.9 The manual gets off the line faster then gets destroyed by the tip after 30mph. The tip has less wheelspin so it bogs a touch, the Manual launches better.

The 0-100 is 7.8 vs 8.7 and keep in mind the Manual is gets off the line faster

The tip is faster in every area than a manual and 2 seconds faster to max speed 21.2 vs 23.8 so that "weight" isnt doing a thing to hurt the car.

So to sum it up, this "power loss" and "massive weight" penalty doesnt matter on the road where the tip literally destroys the manual and will destroy a manual with 100more crank MP with the right driver.

However if you are looking for a huge HP number on paper than might get you close to a tip and do all that just so you can row gears. Thats what you will have. A HUGE paper number you can wave around and then keep up with your buddies tip. Who can spend a couple bucks on an exhaust and tune and destroy you again with the 10-15k you put into you car in mods.

Go look at the TIME numbers the crazy tip cars are putting down. The Greek boys have some sick times. Again, you are stuck in the 90s with your weight and Dt loss comments. Porsche fixed all those "problems" with the constant boost the Tip and PDK has.

Not trying to bash you here but its really annoying when someone comes on here bashing a faster car than their glorious manual, with things that have nothing to do with the performance of the car.

Last edited by Squat; 10-18-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: clarification on times, 0-60 wheelspin
Old 10-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The whole conversation seems a little silly to me. Both cars are extremely fast. If you want a tip, then buy a tip. If you want a 6MT, then buy a 6MT. We are talking abou tenths of a second here. Will you enjoy a tip more than a 6MT if the tip is a few tenths of a second faster in a rolling race? Is this something you do often?

I do agree wih comments that I've read about PDK. I've driven a 991 C4S with a PDK (I haven't driven a 997 turbo with PDK) and it was fantastic. If I went to the track on a regular basis, it would be PDK all the way for me.

Personally, I love a manual transmission. On a twisty mountain road, I find it to be very fun to drive a manual. I don't lose any sleep worrying about the fact that a 997.1 TT with a tip might be a little bit faster.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:12 AM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
The 997tt is my third Porsche after a 930 and 964 turbo, and this is my first tip. I was apprehensive at first, and the tip did take some getting used to, but I have to say that now I absolutely love it. It may or may not be somewhat faster than a 6mt, but I'll tell you this - it is a real blast to put it in manual and sport mode; drop the hammer and push the shift button at or near redline -- YEEHAW!!! You can have your 6mt: I love my tip.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Tip vs 6 speed from a roll