997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Check Engine Oil- does this sound familiar?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Check Engine Oil- does this sound familiar?

I get the big red "!" and the message to check engine oil level occasionally. Once I actually go through the check process with the toggle on the steering stalk, the level is good and the "!" goes away.

So there's no issue, just a false warning.

I want to believe that this started happening only after I chipped the car, but the vendor reports no other similar complaints, and I have no reason to doubt them (love the tune and the service I got).

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:29 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
I have no first hand knowledge of the issue, and I have not chipped my car but I have been reading this board pretty regularly since 2011 and I have seen many people posting weird stuff that occurs after a mods.

Can you reset the tune and see if it goes away without too much trouble?

Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Had the "Check engine Oil" message and red "!" pop up six weeks ago. Checked the engine oil via steering stalk and indeed the car was very low on engine oil. Quick run to W***art, picked up some Mobil synthetic 0W-40 and topped it up (careful not to overfill...a dreaded consequence, so I hear), no issue since. I now check the engine oil level more frequently. We have the same tune and I suspect your issue is unrelated to the tune. Yours is a false warning and mine was a real warning (no trend to point to, at least in a sample of two!!).

Old 10-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
When the warning light comes on. Take note if the car in level or in an incline. If on an incline, the oil level isn't going to be correct as if when the car is level. This would be more likely if you are on the last bar of the gauge.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jako
When the warning light comes on. Take note if the car in level or in an incline. If on an incline, the oil level isn't going to be correct as if when the car is level. This would be more likely if you are on the last bar of the gauge.
level, with oil full.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:05 AM
twnj is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Domer911
level, with oil full.
yep, on 997.2 you'll get this message if oil level is too high... I had this happen (light would come on once a week on average). Oil level measured fine (full but not over-filled) but it was marginally high enough that it would trigger the warning every once in a while. After an oil change, never happened again.

I figured this would sort itself out as the engine naturally consumed oil but unlike my 997.1, my 997.2 doesn't consume any oil at all.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by twnj
yep, on 997.2 you'll get this message if oil level is too high... I had this happen (light would come on once a week on average). Oil level measured fine (full but not over-filled) but it was marginally high enough that it would trigger the warning every once in a while. After an oil change, never happened again.

I figured this would sort itself out as the engine naturally consumed oil but unlike my 997.1, my 997.2 doesn't consume any oil at all.
I hope that's the ticket.