997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Real World Testing - IPD Y Pipe on 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:59 AM
nuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the rough
Great runs! I also have an IPD plunum with GIAC tune, Champion IC's, and exhaust on a 997.1. I haven't had a chance to run on the track yet but it definitely feels quicker. What kind of coupler do you have between the y-pipe and throttle body?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Impressive results. I wonder the gains over new vs old design? Is the only difference the dimple effect or the size is also different?

Old 01-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
My competition IPD Plenum and GT3 TB arrive today I have a 997.1S with full FABSPEED Performance package. Can't wait to add the plenum.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:20 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Cool video with real world results, seems like a no brainer for you guys

Old 01-14-2015, 04:03 AM
blindfold is a glorious beacon of lightblindfold is a glorious beacon of lightblindfold is a glorious beacon of lightblindfold is a glorious beacon of lightblindfold is a glorious beacon of lightblindfold is a glorious beacon of light
I assume the 9second giac tune requires a different fuel, what sort of results could I have with longboarders setup on Cali 91? And if cali 91 is all I have access to, would it still make sense to go champion intercoolers, ipd plenum+ y pipe etc etc, perhaps goal is to keep up with a lp700 or mclaren 650s if plausible, thanks.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:21 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Longboarder hasrun both the 91 setup and the 9 sec tune. It definitely makes sense to upgrade, he has had GREAT results. I think he was running out of fuel with the full setup.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:37 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Great runs! I also have an IPD plunum with GIAC tune, Champion IC's, and exhaust on a 997.1. I haven't had a chance to run on the track yet but it definitely feels quicker. What kind of coupler do you have between the y-pipe and throttle body?

I think the set up for the 997.2 is different. The Y and Plenum do not connect to each other. There is an intermediary part between the two.

Originally Posted by Tiago
Impressive results. I wonder the gains over new vs old design? Is the only difference the dimple effect or the size is also different?

Good question for IPD but I believe the design is the same, they just added the dimples.

Originally Posted by blindfold
I assume the 9second giac tune requires a different fuel, what sort of results could I have with longboarders setup on Cali 91? And if cali 91 is all I have access to, would it still make sense to go champion intercoolers, ipd plenum+ y pipe etc etc, perhaps goal is to keep up with a lp700 or mclaren 650s if plausible, thanks.

The GIAC tune comes with a device to quickly change maps. Since I'm in SoCal, I have a 91 pump map and a 100+octane race map.

With that setup you will not have a problem with stock Lambo's or McLaren's. Here's a vid of one of my previous airstrip events where I race a bunch of cars with 700-800+ wheel HP which is hundreds more to the wheels than what a Lambo or Mac would make:

Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
Longboarder hasrun both the 91 setup and the 9 sec tune. It definitely makes sense to upgrade, he has had GREAT results. I think he was running out of fuel with the full setup.

Thx yeah at higher speeds/gears it was fuel cutting on this 24psi file. So I had to back down to a 18psi pump/20psi race file. Until now. I have some additional fueling and will be testing out the 24psi file again and another even more powerful file very soon

Old 01-14-2015, 08:49 AM
blindfold is a glorious beacon of lightblindfold is a glorious beacon of lightblindfold is a glorious beacon of lightblindfold is a glorious beacon of lightblindfold is a glorious beacon of lightblindfold is a glorious beacon of light
Thank you longboarder for the quick replies, I think I remember you from m3 days.

So I assume you are using 100 octane fuel for the runs? Looking forward for the upgrade later this year, currently with just europipe catted exhaust. You said 600whp I also assume this was done using 100octane fuel, how much do you think it will make on Cali 91? Drove a Mclaren 650s and it is pretty fast and light, looking to hear your thoughts and thank you again.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:46 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blindfold
Thank you longboarder for the quick replies, I think I remember you from m3 days.

So I assume you are using 100 octane fuel for the runs? Looking forward for the upgrade later this year, currently with just europipe catted exhaust. You said 600whp I also assume this was done using 100octane fuel, how much do you think it will make on Cali 91? Drove a Mclaren 650s and it is pretty fast and light, looking to hear your thoughts and thank you again.
Yes...I am usually using a mix of pump and race gas to blend to over 100 octane. I use Fuse 116 which is 108 motor octane for $95 per 5 gallons and it works great for the race events. MS 109 would also work fine but it has a lower motor octane rating.

With the Y pipe installed, must have been well over 600 wheel as I was running a 24psi file and going beyond the fueling limit of the car with pure Fuse 116, which has no ethanol...which means to run out of fuel using a fuel like that would take somewhere around legit 650 wheel. With that setup I was beating cars in the 40-130mph range (over 130mph I was getting fuel cuts) that would have run away from me at only 600 wheel.

Using pump 91, it's maybe 550-575 wheel depending on the dyno. This is just a guess put probably realistic given what these cars dyno stock. Just for reference my car dyno'd bone stock uncorrected on a 70 deg day at 501 AWHP and 536 AWTQ on the Cobb SoCal dyno.

A 650 McLaren is an awesome car. I don't want to compare the two but in a race, a FBO 997.2 PDK will be the favorite.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Hamad115 is on a distinguished road
Great job, what is your drag time in 1/4 mile...

Last edited by Hamad115; 01-15-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Hamad115
Great job, what is your drag time in 1/4 mile...
I have only times from stage 1: GIAC tune and ipd plenum with stock tires. 10.64 @ 130.3mph.

I have not raced in 1/4 mile stage 2 yet. Stage 2 includes exhaust, intercoolers, y-pipe and reflash. I also have better tires (r888's). I have to wait for a private event and the next one is Feb 29 at Famoso in Bakersfield. That is not a good track for bragging rights. DA is always pretty high. Records never broken there like ATCO.

With stage 2 and r888 tires this setup should be good for low 10's at mid-130's if DA is under 1,000 feet.

Cheers.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:50 PM
roketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really nice
Has anyone tried the IPD Plenum and y pipe on a 2008 GT2?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Longboarder are you running the 72mm or 84mm IPD Plenum and Y Pipe?

Can you pls post pic of the jubilee clip you're using to hold it in position? I'm using IPD 84mm plenum with High flow y pipe and GT3 throttle body and mines slipped off a few times with the OEM J clip which is too thin and doesn't clamp on properly - it needs something a bit wider.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:59 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IMI A
Funny you ask this because although I'm pretty positive longboarder is running the standard 74mm plenum, I've seen a few 997.2s recently claim they are running gt3 throttle bodies. I've only seen ipd sell 74 mm plenums for the .2s

From ipd website " The new IPD Turbo Plenum is offered in one single 74mm version which utilizes the factory 74mm throttle body. The 997.2 Turbo intake manifolds are smaller than the 997.1 Turbo manifolds which is great for improved boost response and gas mileage but less than ideal for making substantial power gains. The 74mm TB provides more than adequate flow for these more restrictive intake runners eliminating the need for a larger 82mm "Competition" version."

Old 03-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by IMI A

Can you pls post pic of the jubilee clip you're using to hold it in position? I'm using IPD 84mm plenum with High flow y pipe and GT3 throttle body and mines slipped off a few times with the OEM J clip which is too thin and doesn't clamp on properly - it needs something a bit wider.

To prevent the silicone connection pipe to slip over the GT3 TB or the Y-Pipe under full boost, i bought better clamps that allows more torque.

Last edited by Tiago; 03-03-2015 at 03:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Real World Testing - IPD Y Pipe on 997.2