997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2 TurboS GIAC OTS file traps 135.58mph

Old 03-02-2015, 01:15 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
997.2 TurboS GIAC OTS file traps 135.58mph

What's up guys so I went to private track rental event in SoCal at Famoso Dragstrip in Bakersfield, CA. We don't have a lot of choices here in SoCal so I grabbed the chance to test my new setup. Mods are as follows:

GIAC/Champion tune
Champion Intercoolers
BBI Exhaust with 200 cel cats
IPD plenum and Y pipe
Meth injection system using Coolingmist controller
Toyo R888 tires on stock 19" centerlocks
No weight reduction

With the added meth for fuel, I ran an OTS file designed for a 3.8 DI motor with FBO, upgraded 68mm turbos and meth. I'm missing headers and I have stock turbos so it's not a perfect file for me. The car is intended to go to GIAC for specific tuning but I haven't had time yet.

The weather was crazy. After arriving it poured rain for an hour and stopped at 10am. Fortunately it cleared and racing began at noon. DA's were about 1,000 feet so pretty good but the bad part was that the parking lot is full of little rocks and pebbles and everyone was carrying them to the track. They tried but it was impossible to get the track properly prepped.

My car performed very well! All runs mid-low 10's. Very consistent and reliable. I never lost a race and racked up enough points to win second place overall. First place went to a guy with a trailored and fully built (engine, trans, driveline, etc) 1,100+ wheel twin turbo Camaro with slicks that was running a little quicker than I was. Funny how there were a bunch of shops there with their trailored and built drag cars and I just drove up there, didn't shed one pound out of my car and only had bolt ons and street tires. Haha. Details of the event here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/823822961018423

My fastest mph of the day came after hotlapping the car when I found out late in the day that I was real close to winning the event. But the Camaro was also hotlapping and he won out. I'm car #23 for my timeslips posted below.

The only real interested thing I learned was that too much meth slowed the car down. I sprayed 100% when we started racing and 1/8 mile was 108 mph but only 132.5 mph 1/4 mile trap. After looking at the timeslip and knowing that result makes no sense, I turned meth down to about 60-70% flow and the car responded nicely. It's definitely got room for more power with fine tuning.

It's got enough power for 9's for sure as the Champion car did the 9.83 with a trap of 135.1. But that would never happen at Famoso unless I ran 18" rears with DRs and a clean track surface. Who knows maybe I'll try again. But for now I'm gonna drop off at GIAC and see what these guys can do

Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	time slips 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	608.4 KB
ID:	415353   Click image for larger version

Name:	trophy.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	710.6 KB
ID:	415354   Click image for larger version

Name:	vbox.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	770.7 KB
ID:	415355   Click image for larger version

Name:	time slips 3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	643.8 KB
ID:	415360  
Old 03-02-2015, 01:16 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Just checked my vBox data.

The 1/4 mile information is interesting. vBox shows slower 1/4 mile (guessing that 1-foot rollout not used??) but slightly faster mph. Best ET vBox was 10.371 @ 135.664 mph. Best mph was 135.993. So the vBox was less than a half mph off.

On the 1/8 mile my best mph from my timeslip was 109.61mph but only 108.31mph on the vBox which means the vBox shows a lower mph. Weird!!

Here's by bests of the day from the vBox:

0-60mph 2.927 seconds
0-60mph (1 foot rollout) 2.526 seconds
100-200kph 5.856 seconds
60-130mph 6.748 seconds
highest trap 1/8 mile 108.308 mph
highest trap 1/2 mile 135.993

I calculated density altitude on DragTimes and got a +940 feet in the afternoon.

I put together this quick vid. Check out the in-car angle to see Coolingmist guage reading boost and meth flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reV5...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by longboarder; 03-04-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:07 PM
kenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond repute
Adam, GREAT RUNS!!!!!! Amazing that the car is not far off from stock and can run that fast! 9s appear within reach!!
When will your videos be up?

Old 03-02-2015, 02:24 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Nice 0 to 100 mph

Old 03-02-2015, 02:25 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
That's awesome! Just curious how you launch your car at these events?

Old 03-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Nice job Adam! Those 60' times are killing you lol.

You should be seeing somewhere between mid 1.4's and 1.5's. Anytime we got 9's, either with our car or our customers, they're almost always mid 1.4 second 60' times. I guess that's where some good track prep comes into play...as well as tires.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Wow very strong MPH Adam! Yeah you will be in solid 9's with the 60 ft checked. Wonder what tuning will do too.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:36 PM
PenguiN has much to be proud ofPenguiN has much to be proud ofPenguiN has much to be proud ofPenguiN has much to be proud ofPenguiN has much to be proud ofPenguiN has much to be proud ofPenguiN has much to be proud ofPenguiN has much to be proud ofPenguiN has much to be proud ofPenguiN has much to be proud of
Amazing job Adam - you continue to be a pioneer (guinea pig) in the quest for 9's

I'm very impressed!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by kenromero
Adam, GREAT RUNS!!!!!! Amazing that the car is not far off from stock and can run that fast! 9s appear within reach!!
When will your videos be up?
Thanks brotha! I did take vids and will post a quick vid of a run or two with the camera on my boost guage.

Originally Posted by wolfhedge
Nice 0 to 100 mph
Thx yeah that's Veyron fast haha!

Originally Posted by White Rock
That's awesome! Just curious how you launch your car at these events?
I just use the factory launch control. It's the same every time!

Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Nice job Adam! Those 60' times are killing you lol.

You should be seeing somewhere between mid 1.4's and 1.5's. Anytime we got 9's, either with our car or our customers, they're almost always mid 1.4 second 60' times. I guess that's where some good track prep comes into play...as well as tires.
I think you need to let me borrow those 18 centerlocks with DRs!!!

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Wow very strong MPH Adam! Yeah you will be in solid 9's with the 60 ft checked. Wonder what tuning will do too.
Thanks Sam! I don't think tuning will get me 9's (need traction!) but I might pick up a couple MPH in the 1/4 and 1/2 mile events

Originally Posted by PenguiN
Amazing job Adam - you continue to be a pioneer (guinea pig) in the quest for 9's

I'm very impressed!
Thanks my friend! I haven't pushed anything so far so the car is nice and happy. I think once I get it tuned and set up right for the meth it will be at the point where I will be very happy as a reliable and formidable car at the track, dragstrip and airstrip. Not many cars this fast are reliable from what I have seen over the years.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Great results Adam.

I do have to say that as a tuner it just makes me cringe a little you're not monitoring and logging when playing with meth flow and running a tune set for 68s on your OEM VTGs. I would scream at you for doing that if I were tuning it lol Get her tuned asap and maybe some stickier rubber on there and rip that 1.4 off for a high 9. Back half indeed is a little softer than what I'd expect to see given your 1/8th but might be meth/fuel related.

By the way vbox will always show a higher trap than the slip as it isn't average speed through the trap like the slip shows. Its just the final speed at 1320ft. Close enough though for most testing.

What did the Camaro end up running?

Dzenno@PTF

Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
Great results Adam.

I do have to say that as a tuner it just makes me cringe a little you're not monitoring and logging when playing with meth flow and running a tune set for 68s on your OEM VTGs. I would scream at you for doing that if I were tuning it lol Get her tuned asap and maybe some stickier rubber on there and rip that 1.4 off for a high 9. Back half indeed is a little softer than what I'd expect to see given your 1/8th but might be meth/fuel related.

By the way vbox will always show a higher trap than the slip as it isn't average speed through the trap like the slip shows. Its just the final speed at 1320ft. Close enough though for most testing.

Dzenno@PTF
I think this is beyond what you're assuming it is. We have a large amount of code in our calibrations that doesn't exist in any factory code. We have been monitoring many different cars with 68mm and stock turbos for years. There is no way we would simply load a file into Longboarder's car and tell him "good luck!" We have the experience in this platform to know what will and will not work at this point.

@Longboarder Great results, as always! We look forward to pushing the envelope even further! We will get it to hook and get you where you want to be on the E.T. side of things.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:15 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Great job man. The car is running as strong as ever Must feel like a beast on the street!

Old 03-02-2015, 09:23 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Hey Adam, with your skills, could you turn my copper into gold?

Giving your conditions, great job!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
Great results Adam.

Dzenno@PTF

Thanks dzenno. Yeah I knew about the vBox 1/4 mile averaging but didn't suspect it to be so close. Where it was off was the ET and 1/8 mile. ETs were always slower and I see that I did a 109.6 mph in the 1/8 mile but the vBox recorded over 1mph slower. Still an impressive machine.

I didn't see the Camaro run but my buddies who were watching said high 9's and 10's. The fastest car was a Mustang twin turbo with dragster-sized slicks doing low 9's. Capable of 8's but traction was an issue for everyone.

EDIT: I just found out the winning Camaro was actually 1,300 RWHP built 434. And it was running 10's all day with slicks. It finally cracked 9's at 4:37pm in the afternoon on one of its last runs so it just tells you how hard it was to launch on that track.

Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
I think this is beyond what you're assuming it is. We have a large amount of code in our calibrations that doesn't exist in any factory code. We have been monitoring many different cars with 68mm and stock turbos for years. There is no way we would simply load a file into Longboarder's car and tell him "good luck!" We have the experience in this platform to know what will and will not work at this point.

@Longboarder Great results, as always! We look forward to pushing the envelope even further! We will get it to hook and get you where you want to be on the E.T. side of things.

Originally Posted by A418t81
Great job man. The car is running as strong as ever Must feel like a beast on the street!

Thanks next up is try to a 60-130 pull at night with slope to see if I can join your elite club in the 5's!!

Originally Posted by elite1
Hey Adam, with your skills, could you turn my copper into gold?

Giving your conditions, great job!

Copper into gold? Meh...that's easy

Last edited by longboarder; 03-03-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:04 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Great runs Adam, I continue to be impressed with your results on stock internals and turbos! Looking forward to seeing you break into the 9's...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 TurboS GIAC OTS file traps 135.58mph