997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997tt Plastidip with pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:39 PM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
997tt Plastidip with pics

Hi Guys,

I decided to plastidip my wheels today until i find some OZ's and the turbo badge.
It was honestly the easiest thing i have ever done.

I have zero painting experience and only watched a few youtube video's. It also managed to coverup a few curb marks completely.

I really cleaned the wheels well before applying and i totalled 6 coats and used 3 cans. In total it took me 2 hours.

Hopefuly now i want to try and find some red pin stripes for the outer rim but in Dubai it may be difficult, Any local guys have any ideas?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:49 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks cool but how well does this stuff hold-up OK to heat and brake dust?

Old 11-01-2014, 12:02 AM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
Apparently just fine, i think it takes about a week to fully cure. Before i bought it i did a bit of research and people have had it on there whole car including wheels for well over a year.

Goes through the car wash fine as well.

I suppose even if it did mess up (which it shouldn't) it only cost me about $50 and 2 hours of my time.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:06 AM
TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !
Nice work.
I've plasti dipped a few things over the years.

We did my 996TT I only left it for a few weeks before removing it.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:29 AM
JayinToronto has a spectacular aura aboutJayinToronto has a spectacular aura about
How hard is it to remove?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:40 AM
Nevermiss is on a distinguished road
I painted a set of wheels a few weeks ago on my step son's Lexus. Can't believe how inexpensive and great it looks. We did 5 coats of the black and two coats of gloss. I was really worried about the possibility of it looking like orange peel using the spray cans, but they turned out great and I had zero painting experience prior to this. HIGHLY recommend this product!

Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 AM
TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JayinToronto
How hard is it to remove?
Normally, it's easy to remove from wheels or small areas. The paint just peels off in sheets.
Now for the whole car....that was a different story. 90% was easy to remove from all the body panels but the over spray in the door jambs and other areas was a PITA. They make a product called "dip remover" which actually worked fairly well. Took a few days to remove 99% of it.
If anyone ever attempts the whole car....make sure you mask any hard to reach area to prevent over spray.

Originally Posted by Nevermiss
I painted a set of wheels a few weeks ago on my step son's Lexus. Can't believe how inexpensive and great it looks. We did 5 coats of the black and two coats of gloss. I was really worried about the possibility of it looking like orange peel using the spray cans, but they turned out great and I had zero painting experience prior to this. HIGHLY recommend this product!
This product is awesome. I've been using it for years on BMW kidney grills, wheels, emblems, and black plastic pieces.
Because its rubbery it's pretty durable. I never had a chip or scratch on any application.

It's easy to apply because it self levels on each coat.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:47 AM
nuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the rough
Looks great! To the OP, how did you keep from getting it all over your calipers and rotors while painting with the wheels still on the car?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I hear more and more about this stuff. Very cool and reversible.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
I hope its reversible. Not a huge fan of the Stock wheels as is and they really require swallowing hard to like them in other colors.

I do like matte cars but I think that is a bit much. Just my opinion dont shoot me

Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
I want to do my wheels in the duplicolor platinum finish. Guy did it here or on rennlist and it looked great.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:04 PM
efria is on a distinguished road
Porsche = prestige marque.
Plastidip = ghetto mod.

And never the two should meet.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:33 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Yes I did wonder about that, but they look nice. Kind of like wearing my Omega and plasti dipping it in gold? Yep ghetto style. Ok moving on.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
Originally Posted by efria
Plastidip = ghetto mod.

I agree.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 PM
maverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by efria
Plastidip = ghetto mod.

If done well, it is a nice alternative to painting.

You can preserve the original colour of the wheel and change it around often.

I got a professional shop to plastidip my wheels from the original gold colour to anthracite.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997tt Plastidip with pics