997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Curious: Who Runs a Visible Tow Hook?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Curious: Who Runs a Visible Tow Hook?

Recently had my car flat-bedded to my shop. Of course its so low I had to use the factory tow hook. Then, while at the shop which specializes in race prepped Porsches of course all of them had the bumper tow hook.

Then I thought about how all the ricers do this too. Curious how many owners leave a hook visible - whether they track or not?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:30 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evoking
Recently had my car flat-bedded to my shop. Of course its so low I had to use the factory tow hook. Then, while at the shop which specializes in race prepped Porsches of course all of them had the bumper tow hook.

Then I thought about how all the ricers do this too. Curious how many owners leave a hook visible - whether they track or not?
So you want to know how many of us are "ricers"? Good luck getting a response to that.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:58 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Not a 997 but I keep my hook on all the time:

Old 11-14-2014, 12:53 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
When needed I run my license plate in the tow bar location so no, I never run an exposed tow bar.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:17 PM
cam99 will become famous soon enoughcam99 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
So you want to know how many of us are "ricers"? Good luck getting a response to that.
Ouch! Always someone looking for a fight rather than giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Nice going. My mother always said "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't". What a healthy environment for people to ask simple questions. I kind of like the WRX STI, wish I could afford one when I was younger.

Last edited by cam99; 11-14-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:31 PM
cam99 will become famous soon enoughcam99 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Evoking

I don't but I like the look. I may buy one now. I don't track.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:54 PM
kbdub is on a distinguished road
I like the look of them on track cars. I wouldn't run one on a street car.

Side note: my brother hit a semi tire at highway speeds in my M3 and it knocked off the toe hook cover. I've considered getting a tow hook in place of the $150 plastic cover. I'll probably get one now that I'm tracking that car.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of

Yes, some of you do like picking fights don't you
Not what I meant at all. 997 is German anyhow. Our cars actually need the hook given their height - I know mine is lowered on coil overs. The point was that ours actually look the part and really ARE race cars (Porsche Cup).

Whether we race our cars or not nobody had a problem respecting a 997 as a race car for street... not so much for some of the other cars. But I'm not knocking their fun. Btw, I've owned 3 NSX, an Evo, an S2k, Lotus, several Porsche and M cars etc and also American Z06, Viper. Lover them all and am no snob in any shape.

I was asking because I rather like the look on a tastefully modded 911 myself and may get one!

Old 11-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Hix, that is a nasty 996. Well done mate!

Old 11-15-2014, 02:12 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
I do...on my race car. I don't see the point on street cars.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Here is my new hook. Primarily wanted another red accent since I took the rollcage out! Excuse the terrible phone pic...

Old 11-22-2014, 09:56 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Don't use a tow hook regularly but, at the track, I use the stock tow hook.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4097888826.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	408229  
Old 11-23-2014, 12:26 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Don't know why you'd run a tow hook on a street car. There is one in your tool kit. At the track, Murphy's Law says that if you have your tow hook in, you'll never break down...

Old 11-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Kinda makes the cars like they have a nipple ring :-)

Old 11-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Agreed, it comes out. Leave it off till you take it to the track

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Curious: Who Runs a Visible Tow Hook?