997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Test Drove a 997.1 Turbo - Disappointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:26 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by w cole
Hey guys,

I currently drive a 2009 BMW M3 and have been looking into upgrading to a 997.1 turbo.

I got a chance to drive two turbos this weekend. The 2nd only because after driving the first I had assumed it was broken as it did not seem to accelerate as quickly as I expected but no check engine lights were on. The second felt marginally quicker but perhaps this was because it was a convertible and I could hear the engine more.

Do these cars have some sort of valet mode? Or limited power modes until the engines are fully warmed up (but I'm pretty sure they were both warm..). Both cars had sport chrono if that matters.

Maybe I was expecting too much? I ride and race sport bikes so my expectations of a fast, 130K+ "supercar" may be a bit skewed?
I upgraded from a 335i (FBO with coilovers) and kind of had a similar experience to start with, the rear wheel drive BMW (would first of all smoke any non supercharged M3 in a straight line at least) and was much more of a trouble maker going sideways in every turn, hell the rear tried to overtake the front from time to time.

The 4wd tt isn't trying to go sideways, or be dramatic, its built to be fast, like really really fast. The handling, in speeds one can expect to ever use in traffic, won't upset the chassis it is that good.

If you want a more raw experience in a tt, I would recommend to test drive a manual gearbox, turn of PSM and put it in Sport mode (this won't disable PSM fully but gives you a more of a BMW like freedom over the rear of your tt) then just floor it in the first 3 gears and report back here

The tt is a bit of a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, to much effort has been spent on making it a daily highway cruiser (most cars are tip's) and I guess its a sound economical choice from Porsche, I mean its nice to have a comfortable automatic car that the wife can drive without being intimidated that stills smokes anything at a red light. So there is plenty of it's with upgraded suspension and tunes, I still haven't decided if I want the car lower (looks better and it could be a bit stiffer imo) due to ground clearance issues. But as others wrote here, a simple tune really makes a difference in terms of power, and it is a cheap platform to play with I think a Cobb AP is 1650$ and add GT2RS IC's for 1450$ and a Kline exhaust (2000$?) and let the guys at Cobb help you to scare yourself daily

After 2years in a tt, I wish that I had the funds for a GT2, might even consider a GT3 (996) for a more brutal car.

I think if you get a 911 turbo and comes from a M3 get the MT or pony up for a 997,2 with PDK, its probably closer to what you want.

But turn PSM and don't even consider a non sports chrono car, Good luck

Last edited by xbox_fan; 11-17-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:10 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
A few bolt on items like a good exhaust, headers, and Plenum combined with a proper tune really does transform the car. I wasn't really impressed with the 997tt when I first got it. It was definitely slower than my modded 996tt. The boost came on a lot harder in the 996 than the 997. A proper tune from EVOMS
with the bolt ons really unleashed the beast inside... if you are looking to buy a 997tt, doing these mods is well worth the investment.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by maverickdxb
+1 to this. I have an E92 M3 also and believe me, it feels slow in comparison to the 997.1TT. The rate at which the TT accelerates when you step fully on throttle is mind blowing and the first time i tried a 997.1 TT tiptronic a few years ago, i was immediately hooked.

Launch the car, the M3 is nowhere close. Mod it, and its crazy quick.
But it just feels quick. In the 911 you look down and see triple digits when in other cars you would be seeing 60.

The first time I launched, I looked down expecting close to 60 and it was in the 90s.

Point is the 911 isnt supposed to feel like raw power or cater to the butt dyno. Its usable power.

Although its amazing the guys that have the skill to toss a 911TT to the curb and be like " I need the GT2 the TT is so below my skills that I need a car that truly fits my abilities as a driver" I mean the car goes 0-100 in 7.7 seconds according to porsche. The new Corvette is still over 8

I mean we have guys that never put the car on a track or set one laptime that feel the need to rip out the suspension so they can get the feel they are looking for from their vast F1 racing experience. Like I have said before, I think you should be able to get close to the stock 911tt times at the track nearest you, meaning, Lime rock, Laguna, The ring, etc before you are allowed to touch anything on the handling.
Power adders. Lets be honest they cater to the senses more than reality. I mean what car are you losing too in your street race that you need an extra .10 of a second to sleep at night? There is difference in adding a tune and exhaust, which sounds better and feels better ( i mean you can say you have close to 600 hp) and going into suspension. It sure would be amusing if insurance companies denied claims based off the local joe upsetting the handling of his car so he could act like he knows what he is doing.

Last edited by Squat; 11-18-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
A few bolt on items like a good exhaust, headers, and Plenum combined with a proper tune really does transform the car. I wasn't really impressed with the 997tt when I first got it. It was definitely slower than my modded 996tt. The boost came on a lot harder in the 996 than the 997. A proper tune from EVOMS
with the bolt ons really unleashed the beast inside... if you are looking to buy a 997tt, doing these mods is well worth the investment.

It feels slower because of the turbo lag on the 996. The 997 got rid of the turbo lag with the Variable vane turbos allowing for linear power across the band. So you dont get the kick that most performance drivers hate as it upsets the car. Of course the local joe loves the boost cuz it feels like its a rocket ship. In the meantime the linear powered 997TT is fading in the distance ahead of you.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:04 AM
efria is on a distinguished road
"... I think you should be able to get close to the stock 911tt times at the track nearest you, meaning, Lime rock, Laguna, The ring, etc before you are allowed to touch anything on the handling."

I would add: for every dollar spent on the car, you must spend $2 on Driver Education classes.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:04 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
It feels slower because of the turbo lag on the 996. The 997 got rid of the turbo lag with the Variable vane turbos allowing for linear power across the band. So you dont get the kick that most performance drivers hate as it upsets the car. Of course the local joe loves the boost cuz it feels like its a rocket ship. In the meantime the linear powered 997TT is fading in the distance ahead of you.

I'm very familiar with the difference in turbo setups between the two cars and I agree with ya. The 997tt has a much more linear power delivery than the 996tt did. Having said that, the car is not that impressive in stock form. Even with overboost on at speed, the torque will come on and will flatten out. I really didn't like that about the car. The tune however really changed that. It will pull and pull all the way to redline. That part I loved. Man, starting to miss my tt..

Old 11-18-2014, 12:16 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Gotboost, which do you like better? I have been toying with the idea of a 991 GT3, but I'm typically a turbo guy. I enjoy that midrange torque that turbocharging gives you.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GotBoost?

Having said that, the car is not that impressive in stock form. Even with overboost on at speed, the torque will come on and will flatten out. I really didn't like that about the car. The tune however really changed that. It will pull and pull all the way to redline.
I agree with this!

Old 11-18-2014, 01:29 PM
rayng is on a distinguished road
Are you paying $130k for the turbos you were test driving? 0-60 on a turbo should be around 4 seconds, the same as your 09 m3.

you can always mod the turbo. there's a lot of choices from vendors to do a variety of subtle to insane hp additions.

there's also a difference between a porsche and a bmw. shop some more. there's no hurry. prices should continue to soften in the winter.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I suppose it depends on your point of view. I came from a modified 996 C4S and my stock 997.1 TT is much faster. I am at fairly high altitude, which definitely impacts things. The .1 TT isn't violent when accelerating like other high HP cars that I've driven, but the power is definitely there. If you have a 6MT and you keep the revs in the right range, it's very rewarding. As mentioned in this thread, you can change the performance of the TT cars pretty significantly with software...

Last edited by Dennis C; 11-18-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by A418t81
Gotboost, which do you like better? I have been toying with the idea of a 991 GT3, but I'm typically a turbo guy. I enjoy that midrange torque that turbocharging gives you.

The GT3 is a different kind of thrill. It doesn't have the torque or thrust like a modded turbo does for sure. It is just as fast in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs as the 997.1tt's were in stock form, but pure speed is not why I made the switch. After modding 2 turbos in a row, I realized I spent too much time and money on trying to get the suspension and exhaust note just right. Just right in the sense like what a GT3 sounds and handled like. So I decided that the next purchase would be the GT3 and I would forego the extensive modifications because it really made the turbos not street friendly after all the mods.

The pure sound of a NA Flat 6 that screams to 9k RPM is unreal and that is with a stock exhaust. I'm planning on doing a muffler bypass with either Sharkwerks or RSS and I'm sure that sound will be epic. The suspension setup is perfect. The regular mode is about as stiff as the sport mode in the 997tt. The sport mode does stiffens things up a bit.

All in all, I do not regret making the switch. The GT3 is really a thrill to drive. It's something you cannot re-create in a turbo. Having said that, I do miss my 997tt too. The acceleration was great and as good as the PDK is, I do miss rowing my own gears at times. I hope that helps clear up some of the dilemma you are facing right now. It's not an easy switch, but I think you will enjoy it thoroughly if you do..

Sorry for the thread jack OP...

Old 11-18-2014, 04:32 PM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
High performance V8 engines have a much different feel than 6 cylinder turbo charged engines - to get more out of the 997.1, i have learned to shift a gear lower to get the rpms around 3K before mashing the right pedal
I read this somewhere on this forum and think it is true.....

Old 11-18-2014, 11:11 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Who judges the Butt dyno this way? I bet I could drive a 997 turbo faster than a M3 today.

6 years ago, the opposite.

Which is faster? 997 turbo with no doubt. I eat the M3's at the track every time I attend. What does the Twin turbo do anyways to actual engine volume ratios?

Owned both and would never go back, why would I want to be just driving a Bimmer anyways.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 AM
M_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really niceM_coupe1999 is just really nice
Well maybe you drove it without sport mode on. I always drive my car with sport mode as it gives the proper responsive feel. I sometimes forget to press the sport button and i feel like the car is not moving or something is holding it back, then i realize sport button is not on hehehe!

It is a totally different car on sport, and a beast on sport +

Old 11-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Gotboost, you are going off the BUTT and BACK dyno! The 997.1 destroys the 996 in every number. The lag kicks you in the back and it "feels" cool. So it feels cool as the 997.1tt is blowing past you. As the 997.1 starts at over a second faster than the 996 and it just keeps putting up better numbers as speed increases.

Again I do NOT think its a good thing for a rush of power in any situation, it unsettles the car and you can find yourself going the wrong way in a hurry. Feeling cool is something I would pass up in order to keep the front wheels leading the charge.

Sorry but the 997.1 is NOT 4 seconds. Even the slow manual is tested at a pro launched 3.5 0-60 and 11.5-8 sec 1/4 The m3 is destroyed from every area by the 997 tt. the manual is just over 8 seconds 0-100. The m3 is 4.3 0-60 and 12.7 quarter mile. And 9.5 0-100mph. Again these are good driver tests in the case of the manual.
The numbers in the Tip are much faster and facts, meaning it happens just about every time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a 997.1 Turbo - Disappointed