997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Test Drove a 997.1 Turbo - Disappointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 AM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Excuse me if I sound a bit caustic here, but I don't understand how one can be disappointed in a car that, in stock form, accelerates from 0 to 60 in just over 3 seconds. Were the test cars tips starting out in 2nd? Or maybe the OP, a BMW guy, is just trying to begin a BMW/Porsche controversy. BTW, nothing wrong with being a BMW guy - I've owned a few myself, but none of them could compare to the pcars that I've owned.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kwiksilver
Excuse me if I sound a bit caustic here, but I don't understand how one can be disappointed in a car that, in stock form, accelerates from 0 to 60 in just over 3 seconds. Were the test cars tips starting out in 2nd? Or maybe the OP, a BMW guy, is just trying to begin a BMW/Porsche controversy. BTW, nothing wrong with being a BMW guy - I've owned a few myself, but none of them could compare to the pcars that I've owned.
Now that you bring it up, we have an M3 and 996 all being " more fun and feel faster" than a 997tt... I mean does anyone really believe that? I mean take the 996 deal. No one is paying 75K for a 996 but they are for a 993 and 930 and 997. There is a reason and its not just being a collector car.

I was a BMW guy as well. But the claims being made....

Old 11-19-2014, 05:03 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Read this thread and really wanted to comment. I test drove a couple of turbos and perhaps had that INITIAL impression. But clearly you did not get on it or those cars were not running properly.

Could you see the boost gauge when you were driving it? Depending on the year of the car, did you see 14 or 15 lbs of boost? I hope the car had sport Chrono, did you see the over boost arrow? If all of this is new information, you need to drive one again. A 997 tt is nothing like an m3. An m3 is not even close. Besides a ton more torque, the car is MUCH faster. Stock. Forget about the tune stuff. And how easy is it to wind out that m3 from 5-8k rpm around town? Not very. You can get pushed back in your seat in a turbo from 2-5k rpm all the time.

The car is more expensive, but performance wise, no way could it be disappointing.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:04 PM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
Read this thread and really wanted to comment. I test drove a couple of turbos and perhaps had that INITIAL impression. But clearly you did not get on it or those cars were not running properly.

Could you see the boost gauge when you were driving it? Depending on the year of the car, did you see 14 or 15 lbs of boost? I hope the car had sport Chrono, did you see the over boost arrow? If all of this is new information, you need to drive one again. A 997 tt is nothing like an m3. An m3 is not even close. Besides a ton more torque, the car is MUCH faster. Stock. Forget about the tune stuff. And how easy is it to wind out that m3 from 5-8k rpm around town? Not very. You can get pushed back in your seat in a turbo from 2-5k rpm all the time.

The car is more expensive, but performance wise, no way could it be disappointing.
AMEN Ryem. You are spot on.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:31 PM
guab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
The GT3 is a different kind of thrill. It doesn't have the torque or thrust like a modded turbo does for sure. It is just as fast in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs as the 997.1tt's were in stock form, but pure speed is not why I made the switch. After modding 2 turbos in a row, I realized I spent too much time and money on trying to get the suspension and exhaust note just right. Just right in the sense like what a GT3 sounds and handled like. So I decided that the next purchase would be the GT3 and I would forego the extensive modifications because it really made the turbos not street friendly after all the mods.

The pure sound of a NA Flat 6 that screams to 9k RPM is unreal and that is with a stock exhaust. I'm planning on doing a muffler bypass with either Sharkwerks or RSS and I'm sure that sound will be epic. The suspension setup is perfect. The regular mode is about as stiff as the sport mode in the 997tt. The sport mode does stiffens things up a bit.

All in all, I do not regret making the switch. The GT3 is really a thrill to drive. It's something you cannot re-create in a turbo. Having said that, I do miss my 997tt too. The acceleration was great and as good as the PDK is, I do miss rowing my own gears at times. I hope that helps clear up some of the dilemma you are facing right now. It's not an easy switch, but I think you will enjoy it thoroughly if you do..

Sorry for the thread jack OP...
I agree with you.

I was suggesting in my post that perhaps the OP is used to a linear power band, snappy throttle RWD car.

The turbo is not a linear power band (though, better than 996 as pointed out because of vgt), not snappy throttle (compromise on porsche's part?), and AWD.

It's an ENTIRELY different car. If you're expecting the driving experience of the M3, but a lot faster, you ARE NOT going to get it with the TT. At least not without a tune. I can't comment on a TT with a tune... hopefully soon

I'll own a 2010 GT3 one day. Maybe once I learn to drive.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:22 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
a few yrs ago my friend puts his e92 in 4th and i get my stock 997 in 6th and we let them go from from about 55. i pulled him so bad there were almost tears forming. that said, i love the m3. more satisfying for daily use and sounds amazing

Old 11-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
I understand what the OP is talking about to a certain degree. I still think the 997.1 Turbo felt faster than my E92M3's....although I thought it would be faster "feeling" than it was. However, a quick and very inexpensive Softronic tune changed that in a big way (can only imagine what a 650-750 package must feel like). Power and more importantly TO ME was the delivery of the power with the Softronic tune.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by amerlemans
I understand what the OP is talking about to a certain degree. I still think the 997.1 Turbo felt faster than my E92M3's....although I thought it would be faster "feeling" than it was. However, a quick and very inexpensive Softronic tune changed that in a big way (can only imagine what a 650-750 package must feel like). Power and more importantly TO ME was the delivery of the power with the Softronic tune.
So you couldnt feel the 100hp, but the 20-30rwhp from the tune did it for you??? wow

Old 11-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Squat

So you couldnt feel the 100hp, but the 20-30rwhp from the tune did it for you??? wow
I feel the same way. And to answer your question NO. It was the 20-30awhp.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:05 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
Gotboost, you are going off the BUTT and BACK dyno! The 997.1 destroys the 996 in every number. The lag kicks you in the back and it "feels" cool. So it feels cool as the 997.1tt is blowing past you. As the 997.1 starts at over a second faster than the 996 and it just keeps putting up better numbers as speed increases.

Again I do NOT think its a good thing for a rush of power in any situation, it unsettles the car and you can find yourself going the wrong way in a hurry. Feeling cool is something I would pass up in order to keep the front wheels leading the charge.

Sorry but the 997.1 is NOT 4 seconds. Even the slow manual is tested at a pro launched 3.5 0-60 and 11.5-8 sec 1/4 The m3 is destroyed from every area by the 997 tt. the manual is just over 8 seconds 0-100. The m3 is 4.3 0-60 and 12.7 quarter mile. And 9.5 0-100mph. Again these are good driver tests in the case of the manual.
The numbers in the Tip are much faster and facts, meaning it happens just about every time.

Cool your jets there Squat. No need to get all worked up over it with ALL CAPS BUTT DYNO accusations.. If you read my post, it said a modded 996tt vs when my 997tt was stock. Do you think that a stock 997.1tt is faster than a stage 2 (ECU tune, exhaust 100 cell cats, diverter valves, and headers) 996tt that generates well over 500hp? A stock 997tt does the 1/4 somewhere in the 12 sec range(non professional driving. Your claimed mid 11 secs is with a pro driving it with perfect launch). A stage 2 996tt is capable of mid 11's by a pretty good driver. Let's put it to rest....

Last edited by GotBoost?; 11-19-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:07 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
I agree with many of the comments. Two nice cars in their own right. Since the arguement has been made over and over about speed, power and torque, I will position a different point of view.

IMO...if you park these cars side by side and you are not convinced you want the turbo then walk away and don't look back. Keep your M and enjoy.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:24 PM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
If i had the space and money i would have either...

1. New TT M3/M4 and GT3 in the garage

Or

2. 911 TT and e90/92 M3 in the garage.

This way i would have a high-revving N/A motor and a tame exhaust torque-monster modable TT.

Honestly put this way option 1 might be more appealing (unless i wanted the awd).

Old 11-20-2014, 03:33 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Well after reading all this, my gut feeling is OP is taking us for a ride? Really a BMW that gets its power at 9k rpm? Is quicker than a 997 turbo of any year?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:11 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
My first test drive of a 6speed .1tt didn't blow my mind after all the expectations I had. But it was definitely fast. After I bought one it impressed me more and more with acceleration. Just like all drive by wire accelerator pedals it takes a little time to adjust to the programming. The rate of change of throttle position really makes a difference in acceleration. Also being at the right rpm and gear. It isn't a Viper or big block that pushes from low rpm but in the midband in the right gear it is pretty impressive. Just a tune and exhaust make it amazing in acceleration and part of it is the throttle mapping. No regrets for me after almost 5 years.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Cool your jets there Squat. No need to get all worked up over it with ALL CAPS BUTT DYNO accusations.. If you read my post, it said a modded 996tt vs when my 997tt was stock. Do you think that a stock 997.1tt is faster than a stage 2 (ECU tune, exhaust 100 cell cats, diverter valves, and headers) 996tt that generates well over 500hp? A stock 997tt does the 1/4 somewhere in the 12 sec range(non professional driving. Your claimed mid 11 secs is with a pro driving it with perfect launch). A stage 2 996tt is capable of mid 11's by a pretty good driver. Let's put it to rest....
Wasnt aimed at you, aimed at the pot stirring folks that are like "omg my m3 is SOOO much better than a TT, I mean read the post on 6sp"

I think a PDK or TIP would run with your 996. It takes the driver error out. but to answer your question NO, I dont think a stock 997 would hang. Granted I didnt see your mod list when you were comparing. I dont think the above mentioned folks agreeing the m3 is so much better did either

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a 997.1 Turbo - Disappointed