997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Test Drove a 997.1 Turbo - Disappointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by The Bogg
My first test drive of a 6speed .1tt didn't blow my mind after all the expectations I had. But it was definitely fast. After I bought one it impressed me more and more with acceleration. Just like all drive by wire accelerator pedals it takes a little time to adjust to the programming. The rate of change of throttle position really makes a difference in acceleration. Also being at the right rpm and gear. It isn't a Viper or big block that pushes from low rpm but in the midband in the right gear it is pretty impressive. Just a tune and exhaust make it amazing in acceleration and part of it is the throttle mapping. No regrets for me after almost 5 years.

The ECU will adapt to driving style ( not ground breaking news I know) but the manual even mentions this. So if you are driving a granny car, then you can plan on needing to put it sport mode and STOMP on it till it realizes you are not concerned with 13mpg.
I mean how else are the big power cars going to get around the stupid EPA and its desire to burn more fuels in a power plant to charge your E-car than the fuel burned in a car.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Al Nunez
Well after reading all this, my gut feeling is OP is taking us for a ride? Really a BMW that gets its power at 9k rpm? Is quicker than a 997 turbo of any year?
+1 rep to you. I love the added comments. A 911 tt is tame? OK. Then again I dont have the vast Professional, ALMS and f1 experience that so many on this board have.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Squat
+1 rep to you. I love the added comments. A 911 tt is tame? OK. Then again I dont have the vast Professional, ALMS and f1 experience that so many on this board have.
Funny Just 1 rep point, take care?

Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 AM
That's all I can add

Old 11-20-2014, 12:38 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
The ECU will adapt to driving style ( not ground breaking news I know) but the manual even mentions this. So if you are driving a granny car, then you can plan on needing to put it sport mode and STOMP on it till it realizes you are not concerned with 13mpg.
I mean how else are the big power cars going to get around the stupid EPA and its desire to burn more fuels in a power plant to charge your E-car than the fuel burned in a car.
You are right, the ecu will adapt a bit to the drivers pattern but I was just referring to the throttle mapping itself. Just consider how different the throttle 'feels' in sport mode even on part throttle. On the first test drive one wouldn't know intuitively how to modulate the throttle without spending a little time with the car. At least that's what I found. With an aftermarket tune and custom throttle mapping I have it the way I like and can drive smoothly but someone else might not like it. Anyway, the point is that a test driver might not appreciate the power on tap if he or she didn't get time to figure out the throttle response and drive accordingly.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
You are right, the car will adapt a bit to the drivers pattern but I was just referring to the throttle mapping itself. Just consider how different the throttle 'feels' in sport mode even on part throttle. On the first test drive one wouldn't know intuitively how to modulate the throttle without spending a little time with the car. At least that's what I found. With an aftermarket tune and custom throttle mapping I have it the way I like and can drive smoothly but someone else might not like it. Anyway, the point is that a test driver might not appreciate the power on tap if he or she didn't get time to figure out the throttle response and drive accordingly.
I agree and I think it quickly becomes second nature. And you miss it when you drive another car. its instant pwoer done right

Old 11-21-2014, 09:03 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Here is my .02 - when I took delivery the excitement quickly wore off on the drive home. the exhaust was bland, the ride soft or rock hard and sport mode was too jerky and non sport mode cart felt slow. took me a few hours to get used to the throttle in sport mode and the car is never not in sport mode now.

I quickly turned to the aftermarket (like I do most my cars) and started modding. An exhaust, tune and suspension tweaks turn the turbo into an animal. Stock I found it boring but builds power effortlessly as designed for your daily drive. A regular C2S arguably is more fun to drive stock for stock (think sound and steering feel w/o the awd).

But once modded right the Turbo comes alive and Im very happy with mine now with the parts in my sig installed.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by gmoney
Here is my .02 - when I took delivery the excitement quickly wore off on the drive home. the exhaust was bland, the ride soft or rock hard and sport mode was too jerky and non sport mode cart felt slow. took me a few hours to get used to the throttle in sport mode and the car is never not in sport mode now.

I quickly turned to the aftermarket (like I do most my cars) and started modding. An exhaust, tune and suspension tweaks turn the turbo into an animal. Stock I found it boring but builds power effortlessly as designed for your daily drive. A regular C2S arguably is more fun to drive stock for stock (think sound and steering feel w/o the awd).

But once modded right the Turbo comes alive and Im very happy with mine now with the parts in my sig installed.
Did you just say a c2s is as good as a turbo???? I am amazed that you think a RWD car is "more fun" than a AWD, using that logic a gokart or miata is a better choice than a c2.

Do people even think about what they are saying? Yeah porsche doesnt know how to build a car right, I needed to come in and fix it. By all means do what you want to make it "look better" or "sound better" but when you act like you had to fix what porsche Fed up...

Old 11-21-2014, 10:29 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Never mentioned 'as good as a turbo'....anywhere. Plus your logic example above makes no sense...moving on.

I said stock for stock I enjoyed a C2S more - the steering feel (the front wheels were not fighting for traction) and the sound (no turbos muffling the flat 6). To get the Turbo to feel sharper it required suspension mods and a more aggressive alignment. The exhaust sounded terrible so was quickly replaced in addition to free up more power and to reduce EGT's due to the tune.

If you feel Porsche makes cars right and can't be improved upon thats great albeit a bit naive. But you will run into plenty of 997 turbo owners on here who think differently and were not happy with the turbo off the lot.

I don't care what you drive, it can be improved on. But different strokes for different folks which is something you should respect.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Never mentioned 'as good as a turbo'....anywhere. Plus your logic example above makes no sense...moving on.

I said stock for stock I enjoyed a C2S more - the steering feel (the front wheels were not fighting for traction) and the sound (no turbos muffling the flat 6). To get the Turbo to feel sharper it required suspension mods and a more aggressive alignment. The exhaust sounded terrible so was quickly replaced in addition to free up more power and to reduce EGT's due to the tune.

If you feel Porsche makes cars right and can't be improved upon thats great albeit a bit naive. But you will run into plenty of 997 turbo owners on here who think differently and were not happy with the turbo off the lot.

I don't care what you drive, it can be improved on. But different strokes for different folks which is something you should respect.
Please move on, you dont have a clue how the AWD in the porsche works.
I love you suspension guys. You really think you know how to drive, have you ever been to a driving school? Do you even know how suspension works? setups change from road to road, but hey as long as you feel it and it FEELS good to you it must be better than what porsche made.

Oh sure you can make it better in your mind, but not all these turbo owners are naive enough to act like its actually making their cars night and day over stock. The guys like me will tell you yeah I got an exhaust and a tune but not because I was trying to make it better than porsche, i like to mod. See I KNOW that my car in stock form will able to outperform me all day. I am not naive enough to think that I am really making it into the supercar that it "should be"
Naive are guys that never came close to a track record, or a stock 911 track time, but have already modified their cars and are spouting the numbers others set that "their car does" when they have never done it themselves and dont know the inside of an infield tunnel vs a i95 tunnel.

Lastly my logic makes no sense because you have no clue about what makes a RWD go kart fun nor know that the most common and used track car is a miata, because they are fun, they cant run from anything but are a blast to drive. Which again shows where you are getting your opinion from.

Last edited by Squat; 11-21-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:45 AM
so angry! I love it.

Not going to argue my point because Im not trying to convince anybody anything but you seem to have an agenda thus I am removing the snacks from the troll plate.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:49 AM
so angry! I love it.

Not going to argue my point because Im not trying to convince anybody anything but you seem to have an agenda thus I am removing the snacks from the troll plate.
Angry? is that the new response to: oh poop i have no clue so I will call him angry and a troll. Dude I have so much fun, I work 2-4 hours a day and its so much fun to help out guys that might listen to you.

You came in trolling your uninformed opinion. Then someone like you is going to give suspension advice and I pity the poor soul that actually listens to you.

So consider this a PSA, before you listen to these "pros" on this board that want to tell you how to "setup your car correctly" ask them for a resume. Or you might have a guy telling you what to add to your car, like lugnuts or a suspension that he needs for that long road near his house, that he holds the world record on....

Last edited by Squat; 11-21-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
below 3K rpm, a stock 997 TT can feel sluggish. You need to keep the rpms up to feel the punishing torque. But a tune and free flowing exhaust change everything. low end torque and power responsiveness become much more accessible at 2K rpm and all the way to red line with a good exhaust and tune.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:18 PM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
Please move on, you dont have a clue how the AWD in the porsche works.
I love you suspension guys. You really think you know how to drive, have you ever been to a driving school? Do you even know how suspension works? setups change from road to road, but hey as long as you feel it and it FEELS good to you it must be better than what porsche made.

Oh sure you can make it better in your mind, but not all these turbo owners are naive enough to act like its actually making their cars night and day over stock. The guys like me will tell you yeah I got an exhaust and a tune but not because I was trying to make it better than porsche, i like to mod. See I KNOW that my car in stock form will able to outperform me all day. I am not naive enough to think that I am really making it into the supercar that it "should be"
Naive are guys that never came close to a track record, or a stock 911 track time, but have already modified their cars and are spouting the numbers others set that "their car does" when they have never done it themselves and dont know the inside of an infield tunnel vs a i95 tunnel.

Lastly my logic makes no sense because you have no clue about what makes a RWD go kart fun nor know that the most common and used track car is a miata, because they are fun, they cant run from anything but are a blast to drive. Which again shows where you are getting your opinion from.
If Gmoney says he felt that his c2s was more fun to drive than his stock tt how can you say that he is wrong? Its his car and his opinion of what fun is. Would you say he is wrong to like silver over white as well? He didn't post performance data and say the c2s was faster, all he referenced was driving feel /sound and enjoyment. And awd does have its advantages especially for average drivers but look at race cars, they are just about ALL rwd. From drag racing to road racing the vast majority in any on road racing series are rwd. Awd is 100% easier for most drivers but the weight of the additional diff and asking the front wheels to do something else does come with sacrifices. And again back to the fun factor, you can't oversteer an awd car as easy on a track so its not as much fun. If your racing for competition you of course want the fastest option at all times but any of our personal cars are mostly for pleasure

Old 11-21-2014, 03:21 PM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
And squat I'm not sure how much racing you have done but a miata with tires,brakes, and a proper suspension setup with turn faster lap times than allot of much more powerful cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a 997.1 Turbo - Disappointed