997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Test Drove a 997.1 Turbo - Disappointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gmoney
yawn. the lugnuts were replaced due to the corroded looking factory ones really putting a damper on the new black wheels in the looks dept. I don't track my car, I don't care about lap times. I do care about the fun factor behind the wheel though and I do care about how my car looks. I'm a car 'enthusiast' some would say. It seems you have a hard time grasping that. I have a handful of cars and most are tweaked in one way or another out of personal preference.

Now you can poke fun all you like but the veterans and newbies alike on here can see right through you as already mentioned. Should we all poke fun that your a tiptronic owner? Some might, but I don't care, drive what you love.
Then all I ask is that you let people know that. See the way you said it was that the car is no better than an m3 without a new suspension.

Make fun of my tip all you want. I won't lose any sleep. If someone asks why I got it? Because it's faster than a manual. Sorry but that's the facts.
It's the first auto I have owned in my life.

I could again point out you are giving suspension advice when you haven't the first clue where to start. Or you bought Ti lugs when you should have gone cl but you are looking to mod for fun.

So I have no argument with you. You stated why you feel the suspension is not up to par. That is you opinion and we have a frame of reference to go off why you think so. That IMHO us a legit reason whether it's true or not is up to the person in the seat.

I hope you can see my point. If not. Then proceed joining the others so offended about my tip comments from 2 months ago. Facts but have at it. Likewise with suspension, my initial assessments were correct. While it's fine to do what you want. It comes across like you have the experience in suspensions and some people without the feel you desire can badly hurt themselves because they are getting into a car with power they can't handle and a setup that is designed by reading forums....

Lata

Last edited by Squat; 11-24-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:43 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
First, post count and years owning a car is irrelevant... Mark Weber could join tomorrow and would you say he is clueless because his post count is low? Am i him no? But you need to let it go that someone has only owned the car for 3-4 years and you bought the first one off the rack..

Yeah i do think a lot of what you said it true but if you are that track driver you would realize that unless you have a setup for every street its better to just leave it stock, because you know that your setup might actually cause you to hurt yourself when your X setup is put on the wrong road and you find yourself completely unsettled heading for an innocent hockey mom and her 5 kids. Am I an expert? No but neither are the guys acting like they are. Why do you choose to ignore the other said? Its ok for someone to recommend ripping out one.... but its not ok for me to disagree with that?

Again the people i disagree with are stating the 997 is NOT very good unless you modify it. They agree with the OP that his experience is correct and the way to fix it is with mods.

The Op came on here and stated one of the cars was broken. Thank god he didnt listen to some of the people here and bought it thinking all he needed was a tune to fix it all up.

I never said post counts mattered. I was just merely pointing out that some folks you attacked here are respected contributing members of this forum for many years. It doesn't matter what their post counts are.

I never eluded to you being clueless or your post count, so I don't know why Mark Weber even comes into this conversation. I'm sure he wants to do other things on his off time than talk about cars with us weekend warriors anyways..

I was merely pointing out that many others have had more seat time in the 997tt than you thus, maybe you should respect some of their opinions rather than acting like you are the absolute authority on the subject matter.

I agree that not everyone is an expert and neither am I for that matter. Having said that, if someone wants to recommend something based on their personal experience, then there is nothing wrong with that. I do have a problem with someone acting like they know it all and tells everyone else that they are clueless if their views don't align with theirs. I really do not have a problem with you disagreeing with anyone. I really don't. I do have a problem with your approach. Case in point, I still have not called you clueless or called you names.... I am just merely disagreeing with your approach to the discussion.

To get back to the original point, I was not very impressed with the 997tt in stock form. Maybe if I was coming out of an M3 or something in that range I would have been blown away. Coming out of a modded 996tt, I wasn't impressed with it. This is all relative you see? I got A LOT MORE satisfaction out of the car after modding. Again, that is my prerogative right?

Old 11-24-2014, 01:48 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Somehow the OP/Troll achieved his purpose - we're back to meaningless arguments re what is better. I really don't care what other folks drive - I like my car perfectly well and I don't have to justify it to anyone but me...and I always win that argument

Old 11-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Right but passing your suspension advice off as a must have....results in most people thinking it's more than a desire to mod that drove you too it. See to the average Joe you are changing it for an informed and probably track or racing based reasons. All I want to point out is you guys aren't changing it because you track that car. It's because you want to.
Some guys buy 20+ inch wheels. Might hurt performance but they accept that for the look. Acting like the car is crap without them ....is misleading

I fly, so it's like me insisting that you need a plane that can pull 6plus gs when i don't even know how to do an aileron roll.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Somehow the OP/Troll achieved his purpose - we're back to meaningless arguments re what is better. I really don't care what other folks drive - I like my car perfectly well and I don't have to justify it to anyone but me...and I always win that argument
I don't care either but I do have an issue with people posting their personal looks or feel bias.....not based on facts or track.... opinions as it's very misleading.
We crush vendors for doing this. But members are cleared hot to engage at will on it.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:27 PM
w cole is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Al Nunez
OP reeled you guys in and left the scene a long time ago. Might be on Rennlist now trying to do the same. Funny thread here. I think this time it might be something like this;
"Test drove the new 2014 Prius high voltage 4 wheel all drive and swear it out performs the 07 valet mode Porsche 997 turbo. Maybe I will need to mod and spec the car with Tesla direct drive Spaten optimizer doublebock pack". What do you guys think?
Not in the least. I really appreciate all of the thoughful responses. For me to be happy it sounds like I need to budget for a couple "must have" mods. I have driven a 3rd turbo now so I have a pretty good idea what I am getting myself into.

I never said my M3 was as fast as a 997 turbo (although I think it was faster than the first car I drove as it was not running correctly). The M3 being a 4 door sedan is by definition a compromise and is by no means a fast car (unless you are one of the fanboys on M3 post who bases their review on the only other car they have driven being a Camry) and I wish it had more torque.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by w cole
Not in the least. I really appreciate all of the thoughful responses. For me to be happy it sounds like I need to budget for a couple "must have" mods. I have driven a 3rd turbo now so I have a pretty good idea what I am getting myself into.

I never said my M3 was as fast as a 997 turbo (although I think it was faster than the first car I drove as it was not running correctly). The M3 being a 4 door sedan is by definition a compromise and is by no means a fast car (unless you are one of the fanboys on M3 post who bases their review on the only other car they have driven being a Camry) and I wish it had more torque.
Before you decide you're gonna need mods. Drive it and read up...not on forums about it.

As you've seen there are a lot of opinions on what is needed. Some guys buy suspension parts before the car... all because they read they needed them. If you like it drive it a bit then decide.
Oh and don't be narrow minded and only TRY a manual. The tip might just blow you away like it did for me. Back to back there was no comparison. You might like the manual but don't go dropping this kind of money without getting all your questions answered. Then whichever car you end up in you will know it's the right one for you.

Question on the torque comment. As it accelerated from 40-60 in less than a second can you tell me which version you drove manual or tip and when did you feel the lack of torque

Last edited by Squat; 11-24-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 PM
w cole is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cannga
Angry comment from Squat aside :-), I have owned 997 C2 and 997 Turbo, and agree with every point in this post. The 2 wheel drive C2, with no power fed to the steering axle, has purer and "better" steering feel than our Turbo, and its NA exhaust note is "better." Its stock suspension is also a touch firmer and for some is better than stock 997 Turbox. I do agree that stock Turbo needs to have suspension modified in a bad way, as obvious from numerous PASM and suspension mod posts on this forum. On power, Turbo wins hands down of course; it's in a total different class really.

BTW, OP is either a troll, or he's not a very perceptive driver. He's probably laughing at us somewhere :-). I own both 997 Turbo and 2011 PDK M3 and there is no comparison between the 2 cars when it comes to acceleration, subjectively or objectively. The M3 is more comfortable, has more musical /better exhaust note, excellent steering response and very good stock suspension, but is a fat, heavy car compared to Turbo, and its low end torque is non existent compared to Turbo. It's a complex Apple-Orange comparison, but I alternate between the 2 cars daily and for me it would take 0.01 second to respond to the question "which car will you keep if you could only keep one." And no it's not the M3, even though I love it dearly.
Not a troll and I do think I am a perceptive driver but perhaps not. I ride and race motorcycles and cars as often as my busy schedule allows so I am not your typical forum jockey. When I go out with the cars or bikes I am usually in the "A" group.

I think after having a lot of fast toys I was just expecting a lot.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:46 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by w cole
Not a troll and I do think I am a perceptive driver but perhaps not. I ride and race motorcycles and cars as often as my busy schedule allows so I am not your typical forum jockey. When I go out with the cars or bikes I am usually in the "A" group.

I think after having a lot of fast toys I was just expecting a lot.
Alright, I apologize if you are indeed not laughing at us Turbo owners getting "our panties in a bunch" over your seemingly simple comment. Peace. First forget the sports bike comparison ok? Goodness that's not even fair and yes I made the mistake of "racing" a guy once :-). Total annihilation and destruction all within 1.5 seconds LOL. To be serious, where did you do your test drives? I hope not Newport Beach, but some canyon somewhere where you could go all out? Did you come anywhere close to WOT? What transmission do you like, what transmissions were the 3 Turbo's, and what transmission is your M3? You know and I know these are important factors that were left out. Back to the topic of not impressed; all IMHO, 3 aspects that would affect first subjective impression, let's discuss them:

1. Suspension: Subjective, some like stock Turbo as is (*nothing* wrong with this, personal preference), ***FOR ME*** this is THE weakest aspect of the Turbo as a *sports* car, and I could understand why you are not impressed. So here, if you come from a sports bike and race car, yes I understand. You will need to stiffen the Turbo suspension to increase excitement. If you have any doubt just look at the numerous suspension and PASM mod posts in this forum. It's the law of physics and the most basic of car's handling principles that a lower and stiffer car will be more exciting to drive (and faster at the track) from lower COG, less weight transfer, less body lean, less camber change on inside wheels, etc., and of course, less comfortable (the ride vs. handling dichotomy).
2. Sound: Here you are again correct. Stock for stock M3 wins hands down. The Turbo stock exhaust sounds like a whinny hair dryer. Some like it, a lot of us despise this sound and exchange to after-market exhaust. If *all* 3 Turbo's you drive had only stock exhaust, then you should terminate friendship with these people (j/k).
3. Power: I read it again and you are right, you did NOT say unimpressed *compared* to M3; we just made that assumption and jumped all over you. Sorry! There are multiple double M3-Turbo owners here and we know it should take no more than a nanosecond to know there is no comparison whatsoever between the 2 cars. One is what, 400 lbs heavier than the other? And the lighter one has 450 lb-ft torque, at 3000 rpm, right? And if you test a PDK Turbo, we will jump all over you again (kidding) if you say you are not impressed with that car's stupendous acceleration. Subjectively The Turbo feels a lot more powerful than Ferrari F430, 2009 Corvette, and Lamborghini V10 (cars that I've driven back to back with the Turbo) because of this low end torque, and the PDK Turbo or a tuned Turbo will annihilate them all.

Lastly, I should touch on why a 130,000 car needs modification to be impressive? It is not because Porsche engineers are incompetent (they are the world's best IMHO), it's because Porsche intentionally designs the Turbo that way: traditionally the Turbo is always meant to be more of a quiet, comfortable, fast Grand Tourer, its cousins the GT3 and GT2 being the bad-*** race cars. On a scale of 1 to 10 of being "aggressive sports car", *for me*, the stock Turbo is a 3, the GT3/GT2 are 8, and a modded Turbo is somewhere in between, maybe a 6, which is perfect compromise for a number of us. There is no right or wrong, each of us mods the car to the level we like; you... very likely would put a Bilstein on first thing :-). So... welcome to the Turbo forum, in a nutshell, love my PDK M3 but, as a sports car, no comparison whatsoever to my manual Turbo. Go for the Turbo, you will not regret it. BTW I do think a Manual Porsche Turbo + e90 PDK BMW M3 combination is for the ages and would recommend it highly; each provides something that the other doesn't.

Last edited by cannga; 11-24-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:19 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
So all you tip haters. Who wins a stock vs stock race. Tip or manual...

And you are all right the tip is trash, faster than the other trash manual though. The suspension sucks.

I yield to you pros that have knowledge because you joined a forum before the next guy lol lol lol.
Sure the tip is faster, but only if you driving ambition is going in a straight line. And for that use case there is better choices out there.

The tip isnt the gearbox of choice on the track, and the 911 has always been a track car.

Just buy a Dodge and go to the 1/4 mile instead sir!

Old 11-25-2014, 05:11 AM
Explain how it is just faster in a straight line. Even Porsche factory drivers say it's faster around the track.. It's the same car that's shifts faster than a human can shift. Not as fast as a pdk but still faster.
It's faster in every aspect. Nice try though

Seriously stop living in the 90s where a 4cyl manual was faster than a 6cyl auto.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:07 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Guys this whole thread reminds me of my youth at HOT ROD BURGER KING. Countless hours spend with the hood up ogling engines, exhaust notes, and traction bars LOL.

Everyone should enjoy their car (and life). Drive what you love, and can swing. I am happy to be here in the P car brotherhood and have dreamed about my current and first P car most of my life. My car is stock and most likely will stay that way. And I am happy with it every time I drive it. Best luxury cruiser I have owned that is comfortable in Drive, fun around town in Sport and a rocket in sport plus. Its fast enough for me (right now, plus I enjoy the reliability I have lost after modding other cars) Others on this board are faster and handle better around a track, but for me, I am good. Live and let live.

Really, I am surprised at the turn this thread has taken. We usually are a much more mature audience.

Explain how it is just faster in a straight line. Even Porsche factory drivers say it's faster around the track.. It's the same car that's shifts faster than a human can shift. Not as fast as a pdk but still faster.
It's faster in every aspect. Nice try though

Seriously stop living in the 90s where a 4cyl manual was faster than a 6cyl auto.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:34 AM
Haven't you heard of the new meaning of tolerance it only applies if I tolerate you.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:09 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Any videos of your car?

Originally Posted by gmoney
Here is my .02 - when I took delivery the excitement quickly wore off on the drive home. the exhaust was bland, the ride soft or rock hard and sport mode was too jerky and non sport mode cart felt slow. took me a few hours to get used to the throttle in sport mode and the car is never not in sport mode now.

I quickly turned to the aftermarket (like I do most my cars) and started modding. An exhaust, tune and suspension tweaks turn the turbo into an animal. Stock I found it boring but builds power effortlessly as designed for your daily drive. A regular C2S arguably is more fun to drive stock for stock (think sound and steering feel w/o the awd).

But once modded right the Turbo comes alive and Im very happy with mine now with the parts in my sig installed.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:20 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
What are we looking at here?

Originally Posted by Slider
I have to chime in here when people suggest Porsche gets it perfectly right when they deliver a product. Need I say more?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a 997.1 Turbo - Disappointed