997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Test Drove a 997.1 Turbo - Disappointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Man...I got excited when I saw a 7 page count. Very disappointed now.

Having owned my car for a whopping ~3months (8/30/14 purchase)

This is my dream car. I believe it to be FREAKING fast given that within the blink of an eye I am doing 100+ mph. I rarely drive in sport just because I wanted to get used to driving my car first.

I put roughly 65miles a day on it round trip to work and back. I have done 2 trips so far where I clocked over 700miles round trip....so even though time wise it seems like a short amount...I am DRIVING my car.

This car is built the way I like my women:
A lady in the streets and a freak in the bed!

Having said all that...I do "understand" everything that was said here.

The mod bug is alive and well and I am currently looking to add an exhaust after winter passes and I get used to driving the car in sport mode.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:07 AM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
I've been nothing but impressed with my 997 Turbo that I purchased earlier this month. I drove it back from Houston to Pittsburgh (1500 miles) and enjoyed it the entire time. Side note, while taking a detour through Mexico I raced a brand new Mustang GT (435hp) from 75-153 mph and put two car lengths on him. That was without the Sport button pressed! Doh! I'm having a blast.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:53 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
E9x M3 sounds great but is as slow to get down as an old *****'s drawers

If you drive a TURBO OP - get up it, ie put the right foot down hard and keep her there

Old 11-25-2014, 05:39 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
I wasn't going to post to this thread because I'm new here but then I started reading and you have somewhat of a valid point. I just bought my car last month and had a gt500 with 600rwhp that I traded for it. The pony car was fast as s**t to say the least. When I test drove the 997.1tt that I traded it for I thought it didn't compare in acceleration . Now a month later and a tune I feel this car is crazy fast up top. I've only started to tune this thing and it's fast so I can only imagine how the guys with 6 or 700 at the wheels feel like. I say go for the tt . You wont regret it . Besides bmw is an electrical and mechanical nightmare if you beat on it. I had a750il and it was nothing but problems.
cheers

Old 11-29-2014, 06:30 AM
Irishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud of
I had the opposite experience. I have been debating long and hard about putting a blower on my 2008 M3. I love the S65 and the glorious sounds it makes and I also love the throttle response of NA but the power is uninspiring to say the least. Its a great drivers car but not 'thrilling' enough for me.

I had the chance to drive a highly modified 997.1 and I am ruined. I instantly starting theorizing about how I could pull the funds toghether to get into one of these cars. It was just insane how planted the car was, how easily it put the power down and the incredible speed it accelerated to with absolutely no drama.

The 997.1 is far and away a much more complete experience and I love the fact it can put the power to the ground. My 997.1 hunt has begun and I hope to get into one this coming summer.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:03 AM
Cubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to behold
Irish,

I'm also in TO and just bought one. If you are in the hunt, I'll be happy to give you some tips as I was looking for almost a year. I wish I had someone to guide me or give me some tips so I figure I help whoever I can.
Oh and don't wait until summer, prices are only going up due to our spring approaching and very weak CAD exchange. Heck even our neighbors to the south are buying in Canada now...crazy the turn of events.

Cheers

Old 02-24-2015, 05:05 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by w cole
Maybe I was expecting too much? I ride and race sport bikes so my expectations of a fast, 130K+ "supercar" may be a bit skewed?
Sport mode should be engaged and absolutely does add measurable power and sharpens the feel of the throttle response etc.

The car is faster then it seems. The problem is that it's so capable it lacks any sense of danger or drama. I somewhat agree with you. a stock 911 turbo is kinda lame. Exhaust, tune, and intercoolers, and clutch should be enough to wake it up nicely, but its pretty easy to spend 15k on that. If I were you I'd shop for cars that already have an upgraded stock turbos + the basic bolt ons setup.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:58 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
What a wasted thread! I can't believe I just read all that........

Old 02-24-2015, 10:16 PM
kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !
I have a e92 modified m3 as my DD and i own a tuned 997.1 turbo as well.

Both are great cars! But the turbo is another monster when tuned compared to the m3. Maybe you just feel the turbo lag while the m3s powerband is linear. Also maybe the turbo is super quiet compared to the v8 noise

Old 02-25-2015, 11:27 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Well...one page of good debate and 6 pages of cry-babies...what a waste (j/k!)

Let's get this back on track.

First, I don't think you can compare the M3 with a turbo...they are simply in different leagues.

Second...if you are used to high hp cars, the turbo, especially the 997.1, IN STOCK FORM, can feel slow, sluggish and turdish (don't throw bricks at me, I am just calling it like I see it and it is ONLY my opinion). Once you do some mods to it, the car turns into a completely different animal.

When I first drove the turbos in 2007-2008, I was left very disappointed. I had a Z06 and a Viper at the time, and while they were all very closely in speed/power, the feel was simply not there - the 997 did not feel as fast.

Now...I am simply talking FEEL. Drive an S2000...with 240hp the thing feels like a crackhead miniature formula car. It is slow, but FEELS fast.

It is the opposite w/the turbo...it may feel slow, but it is far from it.

When I drove the newer Turbo S at the track, comparing it with the 458 and MP4, it felt slow and sluggish...but it yielded the fastest time. Exhaust sound, feel, lots of different factors and equations.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:04 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Well...one page of good debate and 6 pages of cry-babies...what a waste (j/k!)

Let's get this back on track.

First, I don't think you can compare the M3 with a turbo...they are simply in different leagues.

Second...if you are used to high hp cars, the turbo, especially the 997.1, IN STOCK FORM, can feel slow, sluggish and turdish (don't throw bricks at me, I am just calling it like I see it and it is ONLY my opinion). Once you do some mods to it, the car turns into a completely different animal.

When I first drove the turbos in 2007-2008, I was left very disappointed. I had a Z06 and a Viper at the time, and while they were all very closely in speed/power, the feel was simply not there - the 997 did not feel as fast.

Now...I am simply talking FEEL. Drive an S2000...with 240hp the thing feels like a crackhead miniature formula car. It is slow, but FEELS fast.

It is the opposite w/the turbo...it may feel slow, but it is far from it.

When I drove the newer Turbo S at the track, comparing it with the 458 and MP4, it felt slow and sluggish...but it yielded the fastest time. Exhaust sound, feel, lots of different factors and equations.
I agree with a lot of this.

996, 997, etc. They have all felt slow to me. You don't get that pull in the seat of your pants unless you're a passenger and can't subconsciously anticipate acceleration.

If you feel the 997tt is slow, have your buddy take you for a ride.

I'll admit, after making 700awhp and driving the car, I didn't feel very impressed. I then had my buddy take me for a ride and I screamed like a girl. Seriously, I think it sent something like, "Oh **** oh **** oh ****tttt ahhhhhhhh!!!"

There are times when the acceleration would surprise me and I'd giggle. When I put it next to most cars on the street (at least here), it would obliterate them.

I call the Porsche a civilized vehicle and by that I mean you don't feel the raw acceleration and power that you would in a viper, corvette, bmw, etc. To this day, my big turbo rx-7 was the most fun feeling car I've owned and experienced in the driver seat. It made roughly 550whp @ 2900lbs and it went from 150ftlbs to 450+, which made it a blast.

I also believe that the porsche is very stable and predictable with 700awhp. The *** end isn't going to come around and screw me like it would on a vette.

If you're in it for the 'feels' - porsche isn't the way to go unless you want to push 700+, but everyone is different. All in all, the turbo with mild mods, even a basic reflash and exhaust on the 997tt, really transforms it. The stock form is a snooze for a lot of people - that added power really makes a difference.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:45 PM
mavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of light
Not to resurrect an old polarizing thread, but I thought I'd chime in now that I finally drove one. Mine was delivered Saturday and I've only put a few miles on it thus far. No plates, no registration, no title, no bill of sale, or any documentation yet to prove it's mine mean I don't want to do anything stupid and get pulled over. Yes, I sort of bought it sight unseen and never having driven one. I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed. The car I just sold was a highly modified Lotus Exige with over 300 hp. My car before that was a highly modified RX-7 with 460 hp. Both had power-to-weight ratios superior to my 997TT, so perhaps it's an unfair comparison.

Nevertheless, very excited to have it after a long search and looking forward to driving it much more and getting it out on track. A tune and more power though are definitely in the works . . .

Last edited by mavila; 10-26-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:31 PM
drivingon9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mavila
.... I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed. The car I just sold was a highly modified Lotus Exige with over 300 hp. My car before that was a highly modified RX-7 with 460 hp. Both had power-to-weight ratios superior to my 997TT, so perhaps it's an unfair comparison..
... So why were you "underwhelmed"? You know the specs, you know the car (on paper, at least).. There should be no surprises.

This reminds me of Amazon reviews that give 1 star for an item based on something that was clearly specified in the description before they bought it.