997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Fidelity Warranty question.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Boeing Driver is on a distinguished road
Fidelity Warranty question.

I cannot afford the Platinum from Fidelity with a baby on the way. But I am mostly worried about big ticket engine or trans problems. I shopped around and was quoted $2100 dollars for Fidelity Engine/Powertrain warranty, 6 years 60k miles.
So my question is... does anyone have the engine/powertrain only warranty and if so is it a pretty good deal for covering the camshaft issue and other major engine stuff like that??
Also I was a quoted $2600 for the silver warranty 6 years/60k miles which I could maybe do if it was worth it but that's stretching it right now.

Thanks guys

Old 12-08-2014, 10:57 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Congrats on the incoming baby! Is your car stock? What is the current mileage and maintenance history?

Assuming it is stock and normally maintained according to the manufacturers service scheduled, I believe you should be okay without a warranty. There is always that slight chance for anything but you don't hear of engine/driveline issues with these cars.

Put whatever you can afford away for future service/maintenance and enjoy your car.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:38 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
That is a good deal. I paid $2k for 3 years Through SAL.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
what camshaft issue?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Squat
what camshaft issue?

P0021 code+CEL, where the variocam sleeve rotates on the camshaft.

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo...-camshaft.html

Old 12-09-2014, 11:03 AM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
How many cars had that problem? 1st time I've heard of camshaft issues

Old 12-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by w00zy
How many cars had that problem? 1st time I've heard of camshaft issues
A very reputable Porsche engine shop owner I talked to the other night said hes seeing roughly one a month now. And in the link that I posted it sais there were 2 other cars in the shop for the same thing as his. I don't know how common it is but I know if it happens to me the wife would never go for a $7000+ maintenance bill for my "toy" with a new baby in the house.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:47 AM
rdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to behold
Just noticed the tune...you sure the insurer will cover that? I know the answer of flashing back to stock, and I also know that a good technician will know you flashed the ECU. But when big buck on the line...you know nobody wants to pay.

Originally Posted by Boeing Driver
Thanks guys, my car has 27k miles and has been maintained properly up to this point. It has a giac tune and fabspeed exhaust. I know they are pretty reliable but I worry about stuff like the camshaft issue that's starting to show up on these cars and could cost $7000+ to fix.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by rdrozd
Just noticed the tune...you sure the insurer will cover that? I know the answer of flashing back to stock, and I also know that a good technician will know you flashed the ECU. But when big buck on the line...you know nobody wants to pay.
Yea, I was thinking about that as well. Just about everyone on these forums has an exhaust and tune it seems, do they have fidelity warranty??

Last edited by Boeing Driver; 12-09-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:00 PM
brent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the rough
I have a Fidelity Warranty - Platinum. Car is still CPO for another 8 months so it won't really become relevant until August of next year. My dad has had good coverage on his R8 with the same plan and he has an exhaust on his which the Fidelity rep was aware of prior to approving some (unrelated) warranty work.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by brent95m3
I have a Fidelity Warranty - Platinum. Car is still CPO for another 8 months so it won't really become relevant until August of next year. My dad has had good coverage on his R8 with the same plan and he has an exhaust on his which the Fidelity rep was aware of prior to approving some (unrelated) warranty work.
Ok, so the lady I got the quote from was actually at a Nissan dealer near my home. She said the car would have to have an inspection done to verify no pre-existing conditions. Do you have to do that at a Porsche dealer or can my independent Porsche mech do it?? And then im assuming you disclose the fact that you have a tune and exhaust so they don't freak out if something does go wrong down the road?

Old 12-09-2014, 02:08 PM
brent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the rough
I wouldn't disclose the tune or exhaust. Let them do the inspection which leaves the responsibility on them (somewhat) to find that.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by brent95m3
I wouldn't disclose the tune or exhaust. Let them do the inspection which leaves the responsibility on them (somewhat) to find that.
Yea but then you get the..... "this fix is gonna cost 5000 dollars and you didn't tell us you had that stuff so, fuggedaboutit!!"

Old 12-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Boeing Driver
Yea but then you get the..... "this fix is gonna cost 5000 dollars and you didn't tell us you had that stuff so, fuggedaboutit!!"
I think you have more plausible deniability if they aren't disclosed and they do their own third party inspection.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:30 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
So far I have had a good experience with Fidelity. My car is highly modified and the crap that has gone bad so far have been, radiators, starter motor, horn and etc. The engine has been solid so far! I would get the longest and most inclusive warranty you can get as these cars are not cheap to fix and not much can be done DIY.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fidelity Warranty question.