997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Cobb Tuning, Champion 68mm VTG, and CORN!!

Old 12-25-2014, 02:31 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
I'm curious as to how much a catless exhaust is going to help the VTGs, the turbine is already pretty plugged up at these power levels. I would love to measure turbo backpressure, but that's probably a little beyond what I want to take on. The car looks like it is making an honest 700 to the tires as it is.

I will get the car back up and running and get some clean passes for data, then swap the exhaust.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:00 AM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
any updates?

-Jose

Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 AM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
Yea updates?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:57 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Update: Rix car has gotten so fast that he went back in time and is not replying to this thread because it hasn't been created yet.

Lol, looking forward to some updates Rix!

Old 02-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by the bogg
update: Rix car has gotten so fast that he went back in time and is not replying to this thread because it hasn't been created yet.

Lol, looking forward to some updates rix!

lol!!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:27 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
+1 for Mitch, dude is a beast. I still have people that know my kit well and they say it's worlds over the same car with the same kit. Cobb + ID + E85 is where it's at.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:39 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Updates!!!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:45 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Good timing to bump me here.

Our house sold earlier than I had anticipated and I've been living out of a cardboard box for the last 3 months

We just moved into the new house today. The car had been sitting in an unassuming apartment complex garage for the last couple of months with boxes piled all around it.

EVOMS coils and NGK Laser Platinum plugs (Mitch/BBI spec) are going in it this week and the car is coming out of hiding. I filled up a fresh tank of E85 (82% Ethanol content as tested) today. I'm taking it to Texas Invitational next weekend to get some acceleration data and datalogs for tuning on the runway.

Dan

Old 03-30-2015, 11:53 PM
rix

Taking the car out of hiding today.

New home

Old 03-31-2015, 12:02 AM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Congrates,

Very nice home and "Car storage." Looking forward to my Cobb setup soon.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:48 AM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
I have been quietly working on my car for a few months and thought it was about time for an update.

I had been running stock 997.1 turbos, 997.2 intercoolers, Protomotive/Siemens injectors, Sachs 764 clutch, AMS turbo/compressor inlet pipes, Europipe exhaust, E85 fuel, and Protomotive tuning. The combination was extremely good in my opinion, the car dyno'd nearly 590 to the tires on the Mainline Dyno @ T1 Race Performance in Dallas. It was also running mid 140mph passes at the Runway Rivalry event in Dallas. This is operated on the same track, and conditions as Texas Invitational. The general rule of thumb is that cars run about 10mph quicker here than they do on a 1/4 mile track. The car was probably trapping 133-135mph in the 1/4, but I did not have the vBox at this time so it's all bench racing.

Something you will probably hear me say if you are around me long enough is WNMP - We Need More Power™. I went with big VTG turbos. For those curious I recommend the Champion 68mm upgrade. After getting the turbos bolted up I had some issues getting the tuning done the way I wanted it. I had been very interested in the Cobb platform since it was announced, so I went ahead and ordered a Cobb Accessport and started working with Mitch @ Cobb getting the car tuned.

Almost immediately the injectors I had in the car were discovered to be way too small. I picked up a set of Injector Dynamics ID1300 injectors, and after the world's longest injector install I was back up and running again. Everything you read on here about Mitch @ Cobb is true. The guy never rests, and never gets impatient. He answers emails early in the AM, late in the PM, and everywhere in between. I have the Accesstuner Race software, so I went ahead and set the car up for the new injectors myself with some advice from Mitch. The reason I am such a big fan of Injector Dynamics is they give you real data. The voltage and flow data they provide for their injectors is spot on. There isn't really any guesswork involved. I pretty much just punched in the numbers on a calculator and used the resulting values.

I will post more information about Accesstuner Race in the future, but for now I am letting Mitch run the show. I open the maps that he sends in ATR and follow along with the changes that he is making, but I haven't felt the desire to make any significant changes of my own yet. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on things at this point. In the future I plan on doing some fine tuning, and will share my adjustments. Things like cold start on E85 adjustments over a wider temperature range, etc.

I'm not too into posting and talking about what I'm going to do, so I have kept most of this to myself. However now I have some vBox data to share that I am pretty happy with.

This is the best 60-130 time that I have gotten so far, out of about 4-5 different attempts. I am collecting the data with the new vBox Sport, which samples at 20hz as opposed to 10hz that the older P-Box/Driftbox models ran.

After getting the boost control sorted out with my car, as well as chasing down a few gremlins after the turbo swap I made the above run @ 5.99 seconds 60-130.

Here is the 60-100 for this run.

60-100 graph from the same VBO file containing the 60-130 data.

Now this is where things get interesting. After turning the boost up I started getting an ignition misfire. I am in the process of putting the PRO in procrastinate swapping the spark plugs to hopefully resolve this. You can see the misfire in the 60-130 graph, as the car recovered very slowly from about the 3.0 second to 4.0 second mark, back to a peak of about .6G in 4th gear. That run was on the lower boost setting. I nearly let out in 4th gear when it stumbled but it pulled through it and felt pretty clean the rest of the way.

Here is a 60-100 that I captured with the boost turned up before my spark plugs gave up.

Best 60-100 time to date. It's a solid .3 seconds ahead of my best 60-130...

I've still got a ways to go, but once I get the ignition issues worked out I'll be back with some more data.
Congrats rix! This excites me. I'm just starting tuning/testing on my Switzer E911 kit and was looking for some comparisons online. It looks like you ran 5.99 60-130 pulling about .8g. All of my local dynos are booked a few weeks out so I haven't been able to set the car up properly but have been doing a bit of street tuning while the weather is nice. I pulled a .92g 2nd gear pull @ 16 psi (wastegate spring pressure) on my way to work today. It feels really strong but it's great to be able to see it relative to another really powerful 997. Can't wait to see your numbers after you straighten out your ignition issues. I did the EvoMS coils when I assembled my car and so far, so good.... "fingers crossed".

Old 03-31-2015, 12:24 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Was wondering when you were going to surface again.. :-)

Congrats on the new digs..

Old 03-31-2015, 12:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Glad you are back and moved in!

Now lets get some logs going!!!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 03-31-2015, 01:46 PM
Yes, get some logs going so I can snag those 68mm champions and do the same.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:07 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
The 2.55 s 60 to 100 mph is insane...

Also, is this a 6MT because if it is you have the best shifts 3rd-4th gear ever.....

The 5.99 s 60 to 130 mph shows how efficient the 997 is at higher power levels and gearing as you do a really quick 100-130 on a run where your 60-100 mph is slower than my car (E85-996TTS) which does 60-130 0.5 s slower

Last edited by wolfhedge; 03-31-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Cobb Tuning, Champion 68mm VTG, and CORN!!