997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

TPC's DSC quick review...

Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nzskater
So far I've read of two...
+1

Originally Posted by IMI A
The first one we read about the poor guy was sent 3 faulty units!!!!!!

I waited 8 years before tuning my turbo. I'll wait a few more years until this product is glitch free
All I'll say is that even Porsche A.G. can't get it right 100% of the time (read Nick Murray's 991 blog for his ordeal) + countless other bugs/glitches experienced by many p-car owners. It doesn't stop us from buying the cars we love as we understand that these are exceptions and not the norm.

To me, the mark of a good vendor/manufacturer isn't whether they are 100% error-free but how quickly, effectively and concerned they are to rectify/fix any problem with their product that a customer may have. From all indication, TPC has gone above and beyond to address customer issues as they arise. That's ok in my book + a sample size of two (albeit three units to one guy), is not damning. But to each his own. I don't blame you for taking a "wait & see" approach, although I think that given the sample size, in a few years you might have wished you took the plunge sooner, much sooner!

Last edited by akunob; 02-18-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:07 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
i've had the DSC unit for over a year on my '07 997.1TT Tip & it has transformed the suspension feel- Did write up early on after i bought it- My car is street only.

I had very early unit from late 2013 -that didn't have the newer software that TPC is using currently. They updated my unit w/o charge- i only had to pay to ship.

A few folks appear to have received defective units. Luckily the DSC is very easy to install & TPC has worked with the buyers to make it right. I replace my DSC with the stock PASM unit whenever car is in to dealer for CPO service- It takes 2 minutes now. When i'm riding with the stock PASM unit, i can't wait to get it out & put DSC back. It makes a hugh difference on my 997.1TT suspension feel. Well worth the cost in my mind- I've no affiliation with TPC & this is first & only product i've bought from them. I obviously have been very satisfied for over a year now.

Last edited by bgrpph; 02-18-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:26 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bgrpph
i've had the DSC unit for over a year on my '07 997.1TT Tip & it has transformed the suspension feel- Did write up early on after i bought it- My car is street only.

I had very early unit from late 2013 -that didn't have the newer software that TPC is using currently. They updated my unit w/o charge- i only had to pay to ship.

A few folks appear to have received defective units. Luckily the DSC is very easy to install & TPC has worked with the buyers to make it right. I replace my DSC with the stock PASM unit whenever car is in to dealer for CPO service- It takes 2 minutes now. When i'm riding with the stock PASM unit, i can't wait to get it out & put DSC back. It makes a hugh difference on my 997.1TT suspension feel. Well worth the cost in my mind- I've no affiliation with TPC & this is first & only product i've bought from them. I obviously have been very satisfied for over a year now.
Where are the main improvements for you over stock?

Old 02-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Former Vendor
Harris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by IMI A
The first one we read about the poor guy was sent 3 faulty units
The owner of that car did not actually have 3 faulty units. The DSC module records faults and if there is something wrong with the car in the way that the shocks are giving a signal to the CAN line that your PASM system works off of, DSC will go into emergency mode and make the ride stiff to indicate that something is wrong. At first we thought that the client may have had a corrupt file so we immediately shipped another box and then tried to do a software change with a third box. After trying the three boxes, the client shipped all three back and my engineer read the fault code of a bad signal coming from one of the shocks.

We are working on a user friendly software so that the DSC Sport user can make their own maps and also self diagnose anything that is going on instead of sending the module back to us to read the faults if there are any.

With your factory PASM module, it will not record these faults and it will not go into an emergency mode but act as normal even if one shock is not performing properly. We gave the client the information based on what the fault was that we read from his DSC modules and we left it at that and gave a refund.

You will see on the forums that there are many happy DSC users out there. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the product.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:43 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
IMI-A- didn't keep my orig review & don't want to do it again, but there were many reviews in 2014 of the DSC here & on RL-

Believe the 997.1TT PSAM unit was improved with the 997.2 car but many with 997.2 TT say the DSC also did wonders-

Stock PASM on 997.1TT was 2 modes- very soft- under braking car dipped & floated a bit a high speed, the sport mode was very firm & jarring on street - much too stiff- DSC is not jarring at all in any of 3 modes, firm but not at all harsh, much more controlled handling, less dipping on braking, nice on freeway or poor roads- a huge improvement- feels like car has another entire suspension.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Harris@TPCRacing
The owner of that car did not actually have 3 faulty units. The DSC module records faults and if there is something wrong with the car in the way that the shocks are giving a signal to the CAN line that your PASM system works off of, DSC will go into emergency mode and make the ride stiff to indicate that something is wrong. At first we thought that the client may have had a corrupt file so we immediately shipped another box and then tried to do a software change with a third box. After trying the three boxes, the client shipped all three back and my engineer read the fault code of a bad signal coming from one of the shocks.

We are working on a user friendly software so that the DSC Sport user can make their own maps and also self diagnose anything that is going on instead of sending the module back to us to read the faults if there are any.

With your factory PASM module, it will not record these faults and it will not go into an emergency mode but act as normal even if one shock is not performing properly. We gave the client the information based on what the fault was that we read from his DSC modules and we left it at that and gave a refund.

You will see on the forums that there are many happy DSC users out there. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the product.
Hi Harris, if you have a faulty shock would that throw a code? I ask because a while ago, I heard a pop and hiss followed by a brake like squeal. The mechanic found nothing wrong with the shock but I am still curious as to the pop and hiss. I thought I blew a seal in the shock. So before I purchase one of your units, I was wanting to see if there was a way to ensure all my shocks are fine.

Last edited by Jako; 02-19-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:27 AM
andym3100k will become famous soon enough
Harris response was good, I'm waiting for my new replacement set to arrive. Will give me review again once I got it. Overall I'm happy with the responsibility the vendor is providing.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:07 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jako
Hi Harris, if you have a faulty shock would that throw a code? I ask because a while ago, I heard a pop and hiss followed by a brake like squeal. The mechanic found nothing wrong with the shock but I am still curious as to the pop and hiss. I thought I blew a seal in the shock. So before I purchase one of your units, I was wanting to see if there was a way to ensure all my shocks are fine.
+1 excellent question, waiting for an answer as well! It would helps us all to know...folks could be riding on faulty shocks and not even know it (with no fault code triggered!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor
Harris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Jako

When there is a problem with the shocks, it will not throw a code or leave any lights on the dash. The stock PASM module does not record any faults or have any sort of emergency mode, so that it why we created the full stiff emergency mode so that the user knows there is something wrong. Once our user friendly software is available, you will be able to see which shock is bad because of how we read the signal from each corner. We are able to read this in our DSC software, but it is not user friendly and ready for public release yet.

For your shocks, I would recommend inspecting all four corners of the car and see if there is any fluid around the shock or anything on the inside of your wheel or outer edge of the tire.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:06 PM
jammaljc is on a distinguished road
What about with Damptronics/springs/sways?

I have an 09 997.1 TT with Damptronics and stiffer springs (450/650), Tarret sways, Cup LCAs, and rear noncompliance toe links. The car handles a lot better than stock IMO, but I still think there is room for improvement in the PSM.

Does anyone have experience with the DSC on a setup like (or close to) mine?

Old 02-20-2015, 07:04 PM
When there is a problem with the shocks, it will not throw a code or leave any lights on the dash. The stock PASM module does not record any faults or have any sort of emergency mode, so that it why we created the full stiff emergency mode so that the user knows there is something wrong. Once our user friendly software is available, you will be able to see which shock is bad because of how we read the signal from each corner. We are able to read this in our DSC software, but it is not user friendly and ready for public release yet.

For your shocks, I would recommend inspecting all four corners of the car and see if there is any fluid around the shock or anything on the inside of your wheel or outer edge of the tire.
Thanks for the information Harris. Good to know!

Old 02-21-2015, 06:23 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jammaljc
I have an 09 997.1 TT with Damptronics and stiffer springs (450/650), Tarret sways, Cup LCAs, and rear noncompliance toe links. The car handles a lot better than stock IMO, but I still think there is room for improvement in the PSM.

Does anyone have experience with the DSC on a setup like (or close to) mine?
You are a man of great taste ; I didn't know someone else was doing this besides me. This is about as close as we could ever come to the GT3 in our Turbo.

I have similar setup and don't see a need to change, not at $1200 anyway ;-). Bilstein PASM behavior hits the sweet spot already for me and already takes care of the super soft-super hard flaw of stock PASM. Note that there are a number of shock with manual control of damper's settings (Bilstein, KW, Ohlins, JRZ, etc.) that is the true *next* step for the track junkies, if that's what you are interested in.

Have you tried Bridestone RE 11 tire with your setup yet? We have very similar suspension and the RE 11 is the final step that elevates the feel of this car (much stiffer and more sporty than Michelin PSS - guarantee :-)).

Last edited by cannga; 02-21-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:29 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi Harris, just curious: if that guy's shock is sending bad signal, why did it work with his OEM DSC module and not yours? Was he having problem with his OEM/stock DSC module as well?

Last edited by cannga; 02-21-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:34 AM
jammaljc is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip on the Bridgestones - I may try them. I've run PSS on the street and been pretty happy, and for track I run Pilot Sport Cup 2's. I may go to Hoosiers on my next set.

Based on other reviews I have read here and on other sites, it does seem like the DSC makes a pretty noticeable difference with Damptronics, so I am probably going to pull the trigger before my next track event. If I do, I'll report back when I get it installed. Frankly, I am just as motivated by what it will hopefully do to improve the ride in daily commuting!

JC

Originally Posted by cannga
You are a man of great taste ; I didn't know someone else was doing this besides me. This is about as close as we could ever come to the GT3 in our Turbo.

I have similar setup and don't see a need to change, not at $1200 anyway ;-). Bilstein PASM behavior hits the sweet spot already for me and already takes care of the super soft-super hard flaw of stock PASM. Note that there are a number of shock with manual control of damper's settings (Bilstein, KW, Ohlins, JRZ, etc.) that is the true *next* step for the track junkies, if that's what you are interested in.

Have you tried Bridestone RE 11 tire with your setup yet? We have very similar suspension and the RE 11 is the final step that elevates the feel of this car (much stiffer and more sporty than Michelin PSS - guarantee :-)).

Old 02-23-2015, 01:41 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cannga
Hi Harris, just curious: if that guy's shock is sending bad signal, why did it work with his OEM DSC module and not yours? Was he having problem with his OEM/stock DSC module as well?
The OEM computer is not DSC. It is your factory PASM module. The factory PASM module does not set codes unless the PASM module itself does not have a signal to send to the CAN line. One shock could be bad and the factory module would never pick up on it because it is not designed to pick up on faults coming into it. With DSC, we have incorporated that into our program and if there is a bad signal from one corner, it will go into "emergency mode" which is full stiff. Once you read the DSC computer with the software, you can see which corner is bad in the faults window.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPC's DSC quick review...