997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Tune thread: EPL Vs Cobb Vs FVD Vs GIAC or SOME others

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
there are tonnnnns of threads on this

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 01-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
I disagree with you Tony on the bad tunes. Why? Because more and more guys are going to custom tunes. The assumption, correctly, by the tuner is that environment and dyno calibration has been taken into account.
Your making the assumption that tuners using a 3rd party vendors software is producing the same level of product as some one that is developing product from scratch. In that respect I agree with you. I think there needs to be a clear definition of what a "custom tune" vs a "custom tweak" really is.

We do not licenses our product to any vendor or custom for custom tweaking. If you purchase an EPL custom tune... you get an EPL custom tune.

I want to know what makes you guys different.
Sure!
-100% in house development on tools and calibration (no 3rd parties involved).
-First to market (and I believe still the only) tuner to have anti-lag launch control and no lift shift. Again sounds trivial, but thing about the level of understanding of the stock ecu that's needed to develop something like this.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152952718849774
-We go out of our way to custom tune as many of the cars we have product on as possible... At this point would venture to guess (bold statement) we have custom tuned more ME7.8 Bosch ecu Porsche cars then any other tune on this forum. Im not talking about flashing and sending on their way, Im talking about physically strapping down to a chassis dyno and tuning.

1. your file delivery
Our own flash loading system produced in house.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sh-loader.html

2. ease and time to install/uninstall
**** 11 minutes on first install, 4 minutes updates, 9 minutes back to stock.

3. Dyno numbers and TIME SHEET FROM YOU on a STOCK car or with an exhaust.
Stock turbos, flash and GMG exhaust
***11.14 @ 129.2 - Lil Powell / 997TT AWD
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/..._1897620_o.jpg

Last edited by Tony@epl; 01-28-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by prodigymb
there are tonnnnns of threads on this
I didnt even want to respond to you but you should really do a search and see how many of the newer tuners with their new tunes are in the searches

Reason why I was thinking FVD was from the threads you mention. However markski has some very interesting data that arent in those threads you never even read.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Your making the assumption that tuners using a 3rd party vendors software is producing the same level of product as some one that is developing product from scratch. In that respect I agree with you. I thing there needs to be a clear definition of what a "custom tune" vs a "custom tweak" really is.

We do not liceses our product to any vendor or custom for custom tweaking. If you purchase an EPL custom tune... you get an EPL custom tune.

Sure!
-100% in house development on tools and calibration (no 3rd parties involved).
-First to market (and I believe still the only) tuner to have anti-lag launch control and no lift shift. Again sounds trivial, but thing about the level of understanding of the stock ecu that's needed to develop something like this.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152952718849774
-We go out of our way to custom tune as many of the cars we have product on as possible... At this point would venture to guess (bold statement) we have custom tuned more ME7.8 Bosch ecu Porsche cars then any other tune on this forum. Im not talking about flashing and sending on their way, Im talking about physically strapping down to a chassis dyno and tuning.

Our own flash loading system produced in house.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sh-loader.html

**** 11 minutes on first install, 4 minutes updates, 9 minutes back to stock.

***11.14 @ 129.2 - Lil Powell / 997TT AWD
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/..._1897620_o.jpg

Awesome info... really good. Still reading some but wanted you to know I appreciate it. I am glad you addressed that tweak for tuner in your first point. There are a lot of guys out there with, as previously mentioned enough knowledge to just kill themselves, thinking they got a custom X because someone put their name in the file or made it a certain color.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:13 PM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Other than Cobb none of these tuners are new so I am not sure what your looking for other than to get courted by the tuners.

FVD
GIAC
Marski
EPL
Protomotive
Softronic
ES Motors in Europe

These companies have all been around forever and as prodigy has said you can find everything with a search.

I really don't get what this thread is after unless you are:

A. Trying to get courted by tuners to cut you a deal on their tune
B. Trying to start a pissing contest between tuners

Regardless good luck with your search

Old 01-28-2015, 02:47 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
I frankly HATE being tied to one tuner that encrypts their files and I can't see what they did. I feel as though I paid for it, I should be able to see it
Exactly. This is nonsense where you are paying thousands to use a tune instead of really owning it. Looks like I'll be getting a cobb in the spring.

Cobb also (claims to have?) has launch control, as well as offering valet mode and anti-theft mode which sounds great. I often have to leave the car with shady parking attendants so the valet mode is very very appealing. Anyone try out the launch control yet?

Has there ever been an explanation from Cobb on why the 997.1 AP is expensive even compared to the GT3 accessport?

Last edited by TimeTomorrow; 01-28-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
We do not have launch control yet. I will make an announcement about what is to come from us next week. We are just finishing up the 996 support so I have been pretty busy.

As for the price difference the level of support that is needed for the turbo cars is much higher. Most GT3 guys don't need or want rolling anti lag, launch control etc haha. So the engineering cost is just much lower.

Hope that helps some!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
I have an FVD. I have an exhaust. Am I losing out? ease the pain and tell me I am ok.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:42 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to throw in my 5 cents...go with the tuner that your shop closest to your home supports....I had a canned tune with exaust pushing 17psi...with the cobb tune and same super safe fuel ratios and 17.5 pounds my car made 64 more hp and 82fbs....granted I also added ams coolers...that is pure no b.s what a good tuner with custom tune gets you...same boost level with big gains....if your close to undercover performance I would go there as they can tune and dyno at same time...garth and there shop is top notch...I also have to add that there shops tuning has my car pulling super smooth this is how the car should have left the porsche factory...

Old 01-28-2015, 06:12 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
The key is to choose a tuner that offers good communication after the sale. I purchased from one of the tuners mentioned and it took a month to receive my tune. Tuners that are happy to take your calls before your purchase and ignore you after the sale are the ones you want to stay away from.

Also recommend having a shop local to you if possible if you have issues.

Personally I have had 5 different companies tunes in my 996tt over the years.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Brooklyn boosting
I'm going to throw in my 5 cents...go with the tuner that your shop closest to your home supports....I had a canned tune with exaust pushing 17psi...with the cobb tune and same super safe fuel ratios and 17.5 pounds my car made 64 more hp and 82fbs....granted I also added ams coolers...that is pure no b.s what a good tuner with custom tune gets you...same boost level with big gains....if your close to undercover performance I would go there as they can tune and dyno at same time...garth and there shop is top notch...I also have to add that there shops tuning has my car pulling super smooth this is how the car should have left the porsche factory...
I agree I had a few tuners contact me and one said that for where I live 91 octane is the fuel and these cars do not like it. I am moving soon so I am going to do more research

No way .5 psi did that. If you blow a fuel hose, vague for a reason, do you know what happens?
Big power increases usually happens running Lean. I am pretty sure you are lean, but not dangerous to get that. I wish cobb would explain their super safe ratios.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
If your only gonna do only an exhaust and tune. All those tunes will just about the same. If your gonna do more mods later then then you should be more picky. I've have an fvd tune, epl tune and 2 protomotive tunes. Both great. If I was only going to do an exhaust all those choices are great.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by greekc6
If your only gonna do only an exhaust and tune. All those tunes will just about the same. If your gonna do more mods later then then you should be more picky. I've have an fvd tune, epl tune and 2 protomotive tunes. Both great. If I was only going to do an exhaust all those choices are great.
thank you I appreciate your comments. It has a lot of weight in my decisions and researching.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:20 AM
MY997 is a glorious beacon of lightMY997 is a glorious beacon of lightMY997 is a glorious beacon of lightMY997 is a glorious beacon of lightMY997 is a glorious beacon of light
I don't mean to "stir the pot" and maybe I am just confused by exactly what this thread is about but why as I read through three pages is no one mentiong EVOMs? Don't they have a very good reputation for tuning TT?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:34 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Sure they could be included in the list...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Tune thread: EPL Vs Cobb Vs FVD Vs GIAC or SOME others