997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Tune thread: EPL Vs Cobb Vs FVD Vs GIAC or SOME others

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
I am starting to see that. Seeing the Fanboys havent the first clue about anything. Like not ONE can tell you when the RPR ( if they know what that is... like little marky) line could pop off.

They can talk a big game but can they give the number? I can.

Yeah mark you are poor soul. Do a search yourself and tell me how many threads are on all the new tunes. You jumped in and started with your search BS. You do seem like your Daddy left your mommy for the Bear at the Drag strip. Its ok though. You need to get over your anger. I'll be like you now that you mentioned boats and water. I am gonna buy a Yacht and then go water skiing off the back of it. So says the guy that is trying to get the biggest number he can from his Porsche. I am wondering exactly WHO is impressed.

And all you need to read to blow off an opinion is " why buy anything else cobb is the best"

You say things about the FPR but we posted a thread months ago for people to check them along with posted data outlining what occurs when it happens:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-fpr-line.html

I can tell you are not fans of ours for what reason I am unsure but this is just kind of silly.

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Last edited by COBB Tuning; 02-05-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Thered300zx is on a distinguished road
I'm just here to find out where the vacuum line to the FPR is? I better throw a zip-tie on that bad boy to protect myself from this dangerous COBB tune I just installed (and am extremely happy with).

Old 02-05-2015, 09:00 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
this has the potential to be a great thread. OP stop the nonsense or this thread will be deleted. That's you Squat

Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
You say things about the FPR but we posted a thread months ago for people to check them along with posted data outlining what occurs when it happens:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-fpr-line.html

I can tell you are not fans of ours for what reason I am unsure but this is just kind of silly.

-Mitch
Mitch do NOT think I am out to bash you or your company. I think anyone with as open of a code that you have realize there are going to be people that have questions. You are taking the time to push back which clarifies a lot for me. I came in here thinking I had it down to 1-2 tunes. Now I am thinking about 3-4.
You came here and addressed some issues people might have. I think that is exactly what is needed. It would have been nice to not have folks with an agenda making comments.
As to the FPR line you clearly thought about it and that is something that those of us that actually understand what happens with combustion would like to know and you ADDRESSED it.

Unfortunately I cant delete the BS and stuff put on here by people that didnt want to give Vendors like you a chance to come on here and address questions they have.
Right you dont need to address all those to all people, but in my case having dropped a good amount of money unnecessarily because of a lean issue I wanted to know. Most people just buy whatever. I think you know they average guy I am talking about. "GIMME POWER"

Old 02-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Thered300zx
I'm just here to find out where the vacuum line to the FPR is? I better throw a zip-tie on that bad boy to protect myself from this dangerous COBB tune I just installed (and am extremely happy with).
Here you go. Cobb felt it was enough of a concern to address https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-fpr-line.html

Old 02-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Sorry if I missed it somewhere among all the comments...but what model Turbo are you thinking about tuning Squat?

996, 997.1, 997.2, 991...?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:33 AM
997.1tt
Thanks Tom sorry for the BS above. I guess its my fault for letting you vendors have a shot at telling us all about your new tunes

Old 02-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
You might not "think" you have a bone to pick with COBB, but your comments say otherwise:

Yeah the gains are impressive but if its lean, my engine could grenade and while the number was the greatest just before the bang that doesn't help me.... Im lookin at you Cobb that tune scares me for that reason, you have a number of people that are sending tunes but are they getting the safest or the most powerful. Ragged edge of power is ragged edge of 20k on a new engine.
The default, preloaded COBB maps are VERY conservative, with low-timing, minor boost increase, and a super safe AFR target. Ironically, the COBB OTS (default) maps are probably more "safe" then the various canned tunes being sold. AND to add insult to injury, you realize that COBB warns every user to datalog after installing any map, and confirming your car is running right (achieving the timing/fueling/boost target, no timing corrections, etc.) before romping on it.

From there, if you want something more aggressive and specific to your mods (like Brooklyn boosting and ecpChris), then you can take your COBB to a ProTuner (approved tuners are listed on their website) of your choice. And when you decide to go with Tuner "X", you can explain you want a safer, more conservative tune.

The brilliance of COBB is the ease of install/uninstall, the user can take datalogs of several channels, and you can custom tune on the stock DME. You do realize COBB has successfully powered some of the fastest, stock DME cars on platforms it supports -- Most notably the ETS/Lease Locators GTRs.

Again that is my concern using "tested" files. I want to know everything about the conditions and anything the car is doing.
No way .5 psi did that. If you blow a fuel hose, vague for a reason, do you know what happens?
Big power increases usually happens running Lean. I am pretty sure you are lean, but not dangerous to get that. I wish cobb would explain their super safe ratios.
.5 psi didn't make that power, the additional timing changes did... Which the tuner felt was safe after reviewing several data sets from dyne and street pulls. The gains Brooklyn saw are pretty standard gains for anyone going from an OTS to Custom Tune, slightly lower if you're limited to 91 octane.

The "problem" you're complaining about is something that can happen on ANY car, and is 100% independent from the tune. The FPR house is a known problem on this platform, with some cars approaching 8 years old. Realistically, this is an issue that quality, preventive maintenance should address.

Have any of you blown an engine with over 20k invested on a safe tune? I have. Guess what happened. I blew the FPR hose off ran lean and BANG.
That is a concern. Lean is the WORSE thing that you can do because you aren't just dropping in a sleeve or worrying about some detonation. You are getting a new mill.
If you're modding your car, and legitimately concerned about running lean and detonating the motor again, perhaps you should consider constantly monitoring your AFR. You can easily achieving this through two ways:
  1. Gauges - Any standard Wideband AFR/Lambda gauge
  2. Use the COBB AP and monitor the AFR for both Banks 1 and 2, your Target AFR, Fuel Pressure, and Boost... because you can view up to 6 channels at once on the AP V3

Last edited by Mit_Boost; 02-05-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Just because I referenced the tuner that if you read their own threads where they at a later date addressed my concerns directly. However my "lookin at you" is not a bash. I wanted a response from them and I got it. They do recommend taking action to avoid exactly what I am talking about.

So given the fact that Cobb is aware of this and addresses it, I have added them to my list of tuners. Why? because I asked them and they responded.

As to your comment on the line... more boost is more likely to blow it off sooner. There is a range that its more likely to blow off. Cobb and a few other tuner have felt the need to mention this to people buying their tune. If its preventive then why would they need to address it. That is rhetorical.

Point is a direct question to someone regarding an open code is something that has been asked from the beginning of software. Linux is still struggling and one of the big reasons is because of its open code. But I cant ask Cobb what they are doing to prevent a concern of mine.
Again I have no beef with cobb and was simply asking them a question.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost
You might not "think" you have a bone to pick with COBB, but your comments say otherwise:

The default, preloaded COBB maps are VERY conservative, with low-timing, minor boost increase, and a super safe AFR target. Ironically, the COBB OTS (default) maps are probably more "safe" then the various canned tunes being sold. AND to add insult to injury, you realize that COBB warns every user to datalog after installing any map, and confirming your car is running right (achieving the timing/fueling/boost target, no timing corrections, etc.) before romping on it.

From there, if you want something more aggressive and specific to your mods (like Brooklyn boosting and ecpChris), then you can take your COBB to a ProTuner (approved tuners are listed on their website) of your choice. And when you decide to go with Tuner "X", you can explain you want a safer, more conservative tune.

The brilliance of COBB is the ease of install/uninstall, the user can take datalogs of several channels, and you can custom tune on the stock DME. You do realize COBB has successfully powered some of the fastest, stock DME cars on platforms it supports -- Most notably the ETS/Lease Locators GTRs.

.5 psi didn't make that power, the additional timing changes did... Which the tuner felt was safe after reviewing several data sets from dyne and street pulls. The gains Brooklyn saw are pretty standard gains for anyone going from an OTS to Custom Tune, slightly lower if you're limited to 91 octane.

The "problem" you're complaining about is something that can happen on ANY car, and is 100% independent from the tune. The FPR house is a known problem on this platform, with some cars approaching 8 years old. Realistically, this is an issue that quality, preventive maintenance should address.

If you're modding your car, and legitimately concerned about running lean and detonating the motor again, perhaps you should consider constantly monitoring your AFR. You can easily achieving this through two ways:
  1. Gauges - Any standard Wideband AFR/Lambda gauge
  2. Use the COBB AP and monitor the AFR for both Banks 1 and 2, your Target AFR, Fuel Pressure, and Boost... because you can view up to 6 channels at once on the AP V3
big points....+1

Old 02-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
And just to clear things up on running lean...my car is 100% dialed in...same boost level with same fuel ratios car runs way smoother on new tune....

Old 02-06-2015, 06:36 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Durametric pro does this as well

Old 02-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
Here's a dash mount for the COBB V3

Gauges are nice, but there really isn't a good place to put them -- Pillar gauges in a Porsche just don't sit well with me. Another benefit with the dash mount, is if you ever need to take logs, you don't have to worry about fumbling around with the AP -- Just press the button to start & end the log, with clear visibility of the channels you're viewing.

Last edited by Mit_Boost; 02-06-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:12 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
For 997.1 tt car there is no better tune than apr with stock turbos...have it for 6 years now with just an ep2 and bmc drop in filter and the car always does below 7sec for 60 to 130...with best of 6.48...no ics, no intakes, no injectors, no no no spent money for nothing...since we talk about stock vtgs its second to none...

Old 02-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by skandalis447
For 997.1 tt car there is no better tune than apr with stock turbos...have it for 6 years now with just an ep2 and bmc drop in filter and the car always does below 7sec for 60 to 130...with best of 6.48...no ics, no intakes, no injectors, no no no spent money for nothing...since we talk about stock vtgs its second to none...
Can you post some info on the APR tune and why you think it is better? Any info you have would be appreciated

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Tune thread: EPL Vs Cobb Vs FVD Vs GIAC or SOME others