997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Tune thread: EPL Vs Cobb Vs FVD Vs GIAC or SOME others

Old 02-07-2015, 02:40 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
Can you post some info on the APR tune and why you think it is better? Any info you have would be appreciated
It would help first of all if he admitted that he has "Greek air injection." 6.48 60-130 flash only (canned no less) is wildly false and absurd if you know anything about these cars. My buddy had a stock 997 with an APR tune...and while they do a great job, it didn't and still doesn't even compare to my car.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
Hey I'm Greek myself...have to admit...that on more then one occasion mr Greeks times and speeds are b.s...

Old 02-07-2015, 11:18 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
I find it interesting that the post immediately rules out Softronic / Scott....who has one of the most widespread, safe, and longest standing tunes of anyone? I remember when I joined these forums years ago, there were only a couple tuners, and Softronic was there then....and still is.

Not my axe to grind...but I have the tune...love it...and appreciate Scott's knowledge, integrity and outstanding service. Plus one of the few...or only ones that has a long proven history...

I felt it was worth posting that for the benefit of some who may read this and be missing a big piece of the puzzle...

Just FYI. In the spirit of full disclosure...

DC

Last edited by therock88; 02-08-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:39 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
It seems to me that some guys entered this forum a year ago and dont respect vbox data from users with 10 times their reputation.
I suppose its called ego because a fortune was spent for intake, injectors, etc but still 60 130 time is 6, 70sec...so a little slower than many apr cars here...
On the other hand I wont tolerate that kind of behaviour from newbies so I ask for a moderator to chime in and rectify this.
As far as tune its your car and your money so do whatever you like....at the end I just laugh when you spent five times more money and still you are slower...my friend...keep trying...when you modify your turbos with a good custom tune you might get high 5s....until then watch my clear facelift rear lights drifting away from you....cheers...

Old 02-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Former Vendor
MAXRPM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMAXRPM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMAXRPM1 has a spectacular aura about
Awesome!!!! lol

Old 02-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by therock88
I find it interesting that the post immediately rules out Softronic / Scott....who has one of the most widespread, safe, and longest standing tunes of anyone? I remember when I joined these forums years ago, there were only a couple tuners, and Softronic was there then....and still is.

Not my axe to grind...but I have the tune...love it...and appreciate Scott's knowledge, integrity and outstanding service. Plus one of the few...or only ones that has a long proven history...

I felt it was worth posting that for the benefit of some who may read this and be missing a big piece of the puzzle...

Just FYI. In the spirit of full disclosure...

DC
because its been discussed and I have other reasons as do a number of tuners that they will not buy Scotts tunes. Not to mention he refused to work with me on my fresh Durametric Pro purchase and thought it was funny he was going to make me pay full price for his cable. He has changed his policy since.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:01 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by skandalis447
It seems to me that some guys entered this forum a year ago and dont respect vbox data from users with 10 times their reputation.
I suppose its called ego because a fortune was spent for intake, injectors, etc but still 60 130 time is 6, 70sec...so a little slower than many apr cars here...
On the other hand I wont tolerate that kind of behaviour from newbies so I ask for a moderator to chime in and rectify this.
As far as tune its your car and your money so do whatever you like....at the end I just laugh when you spent five times more money and still you are slower...my friend...keep trying...when you modify your turbos with a good custom tune you might get high 5s....until then watch my clear facelift rear lights drifting away from you....cheers...
So what did you do to make it do that.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Nevermind, not worth it.

I worked for APR back in the day. Great company and product.

Oh, and finally my injectors are for E85...not pump gas. I'm going to blow your 6.48 away once I have it tuned out on the good stuff

Last edited by A418t81; 02-09-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:26 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Be my guest and blow my 6.48sec. I dont care at all whether you are faster or slower.just respect vbox verified data and dont accuse people for lying because you are slower.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:37 AM
You obviously do, when you singled me out with this post:

the car always does below 7sec for 60 to 130...with best of 6.48...no ics, no intakes, no injectors, no no no spent money for nothing...since we talk about stock vtgs its second to none...
Regardless, see you on the flip side of 6.48...I'm tuning for E85 as we speak.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by A418t81
It would help first of all if he admitted that he has "Greek air injection." 6.48 60-130 flash only (canned no less) is wildly false and absurd if you know anything about these cars. My buddy had a stock 997 with an APR tune...and while they do a great job, it didn't and still doesn't even compare to my car.
This is your post that made me reply to you.You have no idea to who you reffer to and what engineering degrees and knowledge of 911 cars I have.I dont care whether you are faster or slower than me but I do care for your expressions about me.Next time when a member with 10 times your reputation and verified vbox times writes something try to respect so to participate in a forum community...so simple...
P.s. I really wish you to get high 5s in the future....

Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 AM
This is your post that made me reply to you.You have no idea to who you reffer to and what engineering degrees and knowledge of 911 cars I have.I dont care whether you are faster or slower than me but I do care for your expressions about me.Next time when a member with 10 times your reputation and verified vbox times writes something try to respect so to participate in a forum community...so simple...
P.s. I really wish you to get high 5s in the future....
Yes, if you go back and look at the post order, you singled me out before I made the post back.

To be honest, I don't care what degrees you have or what you think you know about 911s. I'm a physician, but I have been in the aftermarket tuning scene for nearly 20 years. I worked with APR on engine calibration for the B5 A4 Stage 3 platform way back in the day in college, and even put myself through part of med school tuning all sorts of various cars. The fact that I'm relatively new here on this forum means nothing. This platform isn't special or different, though a lot of aftermarket companies here want us to think that.

I also don't care about that green bar under your name. That is forum boloney to make folks feel special. I don't care if you've been here for 20 years. I care about what content you provide, and the beneficial information you impart to others. Prodigy and others like him have a reputation, which speaks for them...not some green bar.

I also know what the development 997TT put down on APR's dyno while tuning for pump gas and 100 octane

Anyway, I'm finished. Have a great day, it is an amazing time to be a 911 turbo enthusiast.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:04 AM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by A418t81
This platform isn't special or different, though a lot of aftermarket companies here want us to think that.
This is so important and something that many people forget. This isn't a platform that runs on alien technology. Yes the car is expensive, yes the engine is expensive, but at the end of the day, it runs on the same engine theory and principles.

This is the first platform that I encounter where everything is a "secret" or "magic sauce". This is why it's very exciting that Cobb is in the game now.

/rant

-Jose

Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjurroz
This is so important and something that many people forget. This isn't a platform that runs on alien technology. Yes the car is expensive, yes the engine is expensive, but at the end of the day, it runs on the same engine theory and principles.

This is the first platform that I encounter where everything is a "secret" or "magic sauce". This is why it's very exciting that Cobb is in the game now.

/rant

-Jose

Although you're somewhat correct, I do think it's fair to clarify a few things in order to shed some light on why some of us choose to keep our "magic sauce" a secret. Sure...these cars have engines and computers just like a every other car out there. However, every other car is unique in the way that these computers are secured, encrypted, and the way the operate within the car. The evidence of that is clearly in how few people can actually flash the newer Siemens ECU architecture.

Take the 991 Turbo, for example. At this moment in time, we (GIAC/Champion) are the only company able to provide full OBDII port tuning, with file switching capabilities. In order to do achieve that, we (Champion) invested in two $175k cars, a 991 Turbo and 991 Turbo S and countless hours of dyno time and testing. So that's $350,000 of initial investment on our part in just cars! GIAC hires a full time staff of automotive engineers (who are not cheap to employ) and runs a facility with a dyno, and a full support staff. I'm sure their investment into this technology can not even be measured. If we don't get a return on our investment, where's our incentive to continue developing new models and new hardware ugprades? Look at the 997.2 platform and what we've achieved there. Again, no one has been able to duplicate our performance results...and completely selfishly, this is because we spend a lot of time guarding our software and the details of how we get it to work as well as it does.

So after months of development and testing we release a product that allows a customer to pull into one of our dealers, and drive out 30 minutes later with a fully OBDII port flashed car....something that at this time no one else can offer. And somehow it's surprising to people that we want to keep this process and the technology involved a closely guarded secret? If you put in the time and financial investment we did....trust me, you would too.

Last edited by Tom@Champion; 02-10-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
I didn't realize this thread was still going on. Please let me know if you guys have any question on our flashes!
Yeah I started off thinking I had my choice made. Now I am have a lot of hard calls because you guys that responded.... thanks for hanging with it after that short detour... have made some good points. Clearly you answer the Customer Service questions with your responses.
Even Cobb has skeptically hung around. What are your thoughts on these power numbers, meaning X has this much of an increase, the other guy has a little more or a little less. Can you guys tell us why there is those differences? And the pros and cons of it?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Tune thread: EPL Vs Cobb Vs FVD Vs GIAC or SOME others