997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Tune thread: EPL Vs Cobb Vs FVD Vs GIAC or SOME others

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Banned
Mattym6 is a jewel in the roughMattym6 is a jewel in the roughMattym6 is a jewel in the rough
I love cobb ,mitch is great with his responses and can be reached anytime …. the cobb as for money i chose because i rarely stay in cars so spending such a large amount on something i can't resell made no sense ,i can not sell a car for an extra 1-3K because it has a tune considering I'm not trading in at a dealership to help save more with a tax credit …. But cobb hands down and worst case if you don't like it or you don't like Mitch which i doubt lol you can always sell it and get 80% if not break even on the money initially spent ….but user friendly ,easy viewing and easy access to switch maps and also troubleshoot and faults ..

Old 03-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mattym6
I love cobb ,mitch is great with his responses and can be reached anytime …. the cobb as for money i chose because i rarely stay in cars so spending such a large amount on something i can't resell made no sense ,i can not sell a car for an extra 1-3K because it has a tune considering I'm not trading in at a dealership to help save more with a tax credit …. But cobb hands down and worst case if you don't like it or you don't like Mitch which i doubt lol you can always sell it and get 80% if not break even on the money initially spent ….but user friendly ,easy viewing and easy access to switch maps and also troubleshoot and faults ..
Probably the best post I have read making the most sense. I do agree with most of what you are saying. I wasnt aware you could sell the cobb

Old 03-04-2015, 10:05 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
Probably the best post I have read making the most sense. I do agree with most of what you are saying. I wasnt aware you could sell the cobb

Squat, I had the best post!

I agree with the resale value of the Cobb tune. I cant get this with my current tune. Cobb tunes well and creates custom tune for certain situations. You then, can sell it when you upgrade your Porsche to a newer model. I also like that they offer a quick option for different octane maps.

(Mitch will most likely correct me on the model part.)

Old 03-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elite1

I agree with the resale value of the Cobb tune. I cant get this with my current tune. Cobb tunes well and creates custom tune for certain situations. You then, can sell it when you upgrade your Porsche to a newer model. I also like that they offer a quick option for different octane maps.
Just for comparison's sake, you can also very easily switch between different octane maps with GIAC software. All that's required is the GIAC OBDII switcher...the entire process of switching maps takes about 3 seconds.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 AM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
Is the Giac OBDII switcher part of the package or is it a separate charge?

-Jose

Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Just for comparison's sake, you can also very easily switch between different octane maps with GIAC software. All that's required is the GIAC OBDII switcher...the entire process of switching maps takes about 3 seconds.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjurroz
Is the Giac OBDII switcher part of the package or is it a separate charge?

-Jose
The switcher is part of the package. When you purchase the GIAC software you get the pump gas tune, a stock performance level tune, and the switcher. The only thing that's additional would be the race gas tune, or one of the other GIAC switching options.

GIAC even offers a Android app that allows you to switch programs via Bluetooth from your phone, or any Android device. They're working on an IOS version too.

Here's two vids showing just how quickly and easily you can switch using either method. The cars shown are not Porsches but the process is the same.

Last edited by Tom@Champion; 03-05-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by elite1
Squat, I had the best post!

(Mitch will most likely correct me on the model part.)
Ok well, he added info I didnt know which is very helpful to Cobb with the resale. If that is true on the $$ side its a game changer and it would be hard to buy any other if you intend to ever sell the car.

On a side note: I love how one of the most viewed threads in months has also destroyed my Rep. Its amusing because it just proves how stupid the rep button is with all the hurt feelings from the cliques.

Last edited by Squat; 03-05-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:11 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
But the GIAC resale value is still $0

Old 03-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
But the GIAC resale value is still $0
Well, with all due respect, we're talking about $80 - $200k cars here...if you're buying a $2 - $3k tune and expecting a return on your investment when you sell the car, I wouldn't recommend any tune at all. The return on the investment is the joy you get from driving the car with all the extra power.

I'm not exactly sure how the Cobb resale works, maybe Mitch can clarify. But if I'm not mistaken, you can sell the AP, but not the tune itself, so technically you're not exactly getting all your money back there either.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:10 PM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Tom, that reasoning is tacky. Just because people can afford a 80-200k car doesn't mean they like flushing $3-4k down the toilet and frankly it is insulting to think that because people can afford it that they should be taken advantage of....

The biggest complaint I have in the Porsche world is the fact that the tunes are all "locked" like it is magic pixie dust. I BOUGHT the tune. If I want to I should be able to see what changes were made and sell the tune to someone down the road if I decide to sell my car. But alas, Porsche tuners have had a monopoly....until Cobb and the AP3 came to the market.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
Tom, that reasoning is tacky. Just because people can afford a 80-200k car doesn't mean they like flushing $3-4k down the toilet and frankly it is insulting to think that because people can afford it that they should be taken advantage of....

The biggest complaint I have in the Porsche world is the fact that the tunes are all "locked" like it is magic pixie dust. I BOUGHT the tune. If I want to I should be able to see what changes were made and sell the tune to someone down the road if I decide to sell my car. But alas, Porsche tuners have had a monopoly....until Cobb and the AP3 came to the market.
It wasn't intended to be an insult, but the point of my comment was that expecting a return on any of your initial investment when you get involved with tuning ANY car is not the way you should approach it. Most people will tell you it never works out the way you plan it.

As for the tunes being locked...that's never going to change. If we let anyone have access to the "insides" of our tunes...then they will get copied, plain and simple. Once they're copied and we lose all our sales, what incentive will we ever have to develop tunes for new models. Every tuner would quickly go out of business if it worked that way.

I'm not really sure how you could say any Porsche tuner has had a "monopoly". Even before Cobb entered the Porsche market, there was still at least a dozen other choices....GIAC, EVOMS, EPL, Protomotive, Softronic, APR, etc etc. People have had plenty of choices for years. Only now with the newer DME infrastructure on the 991 models is there really only one player in the game...GIAC. But the reality is that there are EXTREMELY high costs involved with developing tunes that most end users couldn't even imagine. My comments starting on post #74 of this thread will give you a little insight into how we approach the development for new models. In order to keep pushing forward, we need to make that investment back, and God forbid, maybe actually profit a little bit.

Last edited by Tom@Champion; 03-05-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:02 PM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
As for the tunes being locked...that's never going to change. If we let anyone have access to the "insides" of our tunes...then they will get copied, plain and simple. Once they're copied and we lose all our sales, what incentive will we ever have to develop tunes for new models. Every tuner would quickly go out of business if it worked that way.

I'm not really sure how you could say any Porsche tuner has had a "monopoly". Even before Cobb entered the Porsche market, there was still at least a dozen other choices....GIAC, EVOMS, EPL, Protomotive, Softronic, APR, etc etc. People have had plenty of choices for years. Only now with the newer DME infrastructure on the 991 models is there really only one player in the game...GIAC. But the reality is that there are EXTREMELY high costs involved with developing tunes that most end users couldn't even imagine. In order to keep pushing forward, tuners need to make that investment back.
Tom, if your "we would go out of business if tunes weren't locked" we're true then there wouldn't be a single tuner still in business in the entire GM LSX industry because LS1Edit and HPTuners have been open for years yet some how those tuners manage to survive.

As far as the monopoly comment, you are right. There were and are lots around but they are all locked and frankly despite the fact that almost each one of those says privately that the others are "junk" compared to theirs, the reality is they are all the same for 99% of the users that just put an exhaust and tune on the car.

Extremely high costs to develop tunes....I am not even gonna touch that urban legend.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7

Extremely high costs to develop tunes....I am not even gonna touch that urban legend.
I'd love to hear your theory about this.

Tell me why we and GIAC are the only company to offer an OBDII port tuning solution for the 991 Turbo models? Or perhaps how it is that all these tunes that are "the same" can't compete with our 997.2 Turbo software? If you're suggesting that any of this happened by pure luck, or that we don't have incredibly high costs involved with R&D of these tunes, well...then I'm the only who's insulted now. And I think every other tuner who develops their own software would be too.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
You also need to realize that higher level tuners (EPL and GIAC for example) are changing MUCH more then just map data in ecu flashes. This is our IP that we have the right to protect and licenses as we see fit (limited license transfer and the ability to "see" changes).

In fairness I DO see both side of the argument. We generally handle this with loyalty discount for repeat customers. For example 996 customers that move on to 997 dont pay full price for a tune. You need to understand this is a very small volume market to try to make a living in. None of us have a monopoly, none of us are gouging (in fact prices are down across the board this year) and I assure non of us are getting rich . We are charging what needs to be charged to sustain business at a profitable level and recoup development costs.
Thank you.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:57 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Whilst selling something you've bought/own is assumed for objects, a tune is really the object representing technical expertise, time, and effort put in by the tuners themselves. Expecting to be able to sell it is a little unreasonable, especially if it is customised to your car. I don't expect to sell my camber settings and ride height after a an engineer has tuned my suspension.

Regarding Cobb; surely if you picked up an AP you would be able to download and install their standard maps?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Tune thread: EPL Vs Cobb Vs FVD Vs GIAC or SOME others