997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Switzer E911 – take 2 review/install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vr6tee
Thanks Dzenno, you did a killer tune on my Cobb access port. Are you up to do some remote tuning on a Sykes S8?
Thanks man. Always just hit me up when you're ready and we'll have fun with it

Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 PM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
Does that setup have internal and external wastegate??? What is the valve after the turbo? Bypass??

Old 02-08-2015, 11:49 PM
RonyGT2 will become famous soon enough
Very nice writeup!!

I'm really confused because I was reading all the stuff yumaverik posted about this kit and he was so excited about it and full with good words about switzer and now it sounds like the complete opposite for me!!

When I saw the pics of the kit I saw that everything looks like poor quality an very cheap. I dont know how the external wastegate should work? looks for me like it sits after the turbo?

Old 02-09-2015, 06:33 AM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LQQK
Does that setup have internal and external wastegate??? What is the valve after the turbo? Bypass??
It does have internal and external wastegates on the kit. The internal gates are "bypassed" though. They are blocked open so the gates can never close.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:45 AM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RonyGT2
Very nice writeup!!

I'm really confused because I was reading all the stuff yumaverik posted about this kit and he was so excited about it and full with good words about switzer and now it sounds like the complete opposite for me!!

When I saw the pics of the kit I saw that everything looks like poor quality an very cheap. I dont know how the external wastegate should work? looks for me like it sits after the turbo?
It's also odd to me to put the wastegates behind the turbo. I have to go with the "well it worked for Switzer mentality on this one". At best, I'm sure they are less efficient than if they came off the header... They are huge wastegates X 2. I would have much rather seen each gate come off the header and feed back into the exhaust at the cat pipe. I hate wastegates going to atmosphere (The wastegate exhaust just having a pipe open to the outside of your car). You basically always have a 1 1/2" exhaust leak at all times under throttle. Cool if you're 16 years old, not so cool at my age.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:31 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Good info buddy! Looks like you are making progress! I am no expert, but if you run across a question, feel free to ask, and I will help you or possibly find the info for you if I can.

Good luck to you!

DC

Old 02-09-2015, 10:57 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
I look forward to seeing this car in action. Sounds like it will be very sorted when complete. OP just curious what motorsports activities you participate in (track, drag racing, etc)?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:59 AM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
Going to be going through a similar process in a month or so.. should be interesting.
my setup is not really a "kit", so will probably run into more road blocks.

thanks for posting, and keep them coming.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Glad to see you getting it going!

Old 02-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
It does have internal and external wastegates on the kit. The internal gates are "bypassed" though. They are blocked open so the gates can never close.
On alpha you have to block the internal wastegate port closed to run external wastegates, since the valve will try to open over spring pressure. The HUGE PROBLEM I see is you can not put a wastegate after the turbo!! A wastegate is suppose to bleed pressure from the exhaust to meet spring pressure or what is offset by the boost controller. What I think Switzer was using the external wastegates for is an exhaust cutout? once it hits spring pressure it opens the valve to allow free flowing exhaust out of them. Not the best way to do so, I think they used the internal wastegates for controlling boost. If the internal wastegates are not hooked up the turbo will make as much boost as it wants.

Matt

Old 02-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Swole Powell
On alpha you have to block the internal wastegate port closed to run external wastegates, since the valve will try to open over spring pressure. The HUGE PROBLEM I see is you can not put a wastegate after the turbo!! A wastegate is suppose to bleed pressure from the exhaust to meet spring pressure or what is offset by the boost controller. What I think Switzer was using the external wastegates for is an exhaust cutout? once it hits spring pressure it opens the valve to allow free flowing exhaust out of them. Not the best way to do so, I think they used the internal wastegates for controlling boost. If the internal wastegates are not hooked up the turbo will make as much boost as it wants.

Matt
I'm going to look at the turbos closer tonight. I hadn't given boost control much thought up until now (other than grabbing a small boost solenoid). I was sure when I looked at the Alpha turbos before I installed them that the gates were wedged open. Switzer installed spacer blocks and the rods are rock solid. You could very well be right on what Switzer was doing on the waste gates as an exhaust bypass. Add another oddity to the E911 list.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:16 PM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
The exhaust cutout makes perfect sense but is definitely a strange way to do it. I wouldn't have thought that it would make enough pressure to overcome the spring but I guess it could.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
I'm going to look at the turbos closer tonight. I hadn't given boost control much thought up until now (other than grabbing a small boost solenoid). I was sure when I looked at the Alpha turbos before I installed them that the gates were wedged open. Switzer installed spacer blocks and the rods are rock solid. You could very well be right on what Switzer was doing on the waste gates as an exhaust bypass. Add another oddity to the E911 list.
With the Syvecs all you need is a boost solenoid and you will be golden, I do recommend the 4 port over the 2 port kind. If the Valve is wedged open it should bleed a lot of boost, causing low boost and very slow spool if at all. Mine we are wedged closed, but my externals are on the headers.

Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
The exhaust cutout makes perfect sense but is definitely a strange way to do it. I wouldn't have thought that it would make enough pressure to overcome the spring but I guess it could.
I think they hooked a vacuum line up to it so it would be boost activated.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Swole Powell
With the Syvecs all you need is a boost solenoid and you will be golden, I do recommend the 4 port over the 2 port kind. If the Valve is wedged open it should bleed a lot of boost, causing low boost and very slow spool if at all. Mine we are wedged closed, but my externals are on the headers.

I think they hooked a vacuum line up to it so it would be boost activated.
Swole, I'm sure as to no surprise to you, you are right wastegates are exhaust bypass and internal gates are active. I'm not sure what springs are installed in the internal gates but the springs are pretty strong.

Not sure if I'll use the wastegates to bypass the exhaust. Does a catless exhaust have that much restriction? Is the noise Vs. Hp worth it?

Old 02-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Swole, I'm sure as to no surprise to you, you are right wastegates are exhaust bypass and internal gates are active. I'm not sure what springs are installed in the internal gates but the springs are pretty strong.

Not sure if I'll use the wastegates to bypass the exhaust. Does a catless exhaust have that much restriction? Is the noise Vs. Hp worth it?
The alphas use a 14.7lb/1bar spring, as for the exhaust being restrictive that I am not sure. I would think past the 700whp mark you would want to bypass the exhaust so you wont have to much back pressure.

Matt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switzer E911 – take 2 review/install