997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Switzer E911 – take 2 review/install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 AM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Switzer E911 – take 2 review/install

Summary:
I ended up buying AT’s E911 Switzer kit. I had talked to Larry at AMS and was about to pull the trigger on an Alpha 9 kit. I mentioned I was looking at the Alpha 9 to the guy who originally bought the kit off Anthony and he mentioned he had decided to sell his car and wasn’t going to install his Switzer kit. He asked if I wanted to buy it. I thought about it for a few days and weighed the options on both kits. The AMS kit was complete and came with full installation instructions, but the Switzer kit had the bigger GT30 turbos, full exhaust and an E85 fuel system. He also had purchased an ERP triple that he would sell me. (As well as a rear diffuser, side skirts and LED tail lights). I decided to grab everything off him as it seemed like a pretty good deal.
As soon as I got the kit I reached out to Neil Switzer with a few questions about the kit as I ended up with 5 boxes of parts for the Switzer kit. 2 phone calls, a few emails and over 1 month later, I have had no response what so ever from Neil about the kit. He said he knew nothing about Anthony’s car or kit and “had to talk to the tech”. I would think as a business owner, you’d be aware of everything that happens in your shop, how it was done, parts that were used etc…. Maybe that’s just me. I’m sure Anthony was in for $50-$60k with this kit and an important part of that investment is the salability of the kit if you decide to sell it. Both the guy I bought it from and Anthony told me “It’s an expensive kit, and has the Switzer name on it, I’m sure Neil will give you great support to make sure his product looks good. Last thing they would want is a car blowing up with their product one it”. Sounds right to me…. Besides, a few 5-10 minute phone calls would result in a several thousand dollars in sales from parts needed to transfer the kit to the new car even if I didn’t’ take it back to Switzer to install. The one thing Neil was able to tell me was that I should take the car to Switzer to have the kit installed ($$$). I’ve been building cars for 25+ years, and one thing that I didn’t like about owning my 997 is that I didn’t know anything about the mechanics of the car. I don’t think anyone should own a 900+ hp car that they didn’t build. The only way I was going to put a kit like this on my car is if I did it myself. My initial feeling about buying this kit wasn’t good. It’s too bad, there are some vendors in the Porsche scene that go above and beyond but Switzer definitely is not one of them. Neil should give Mitch from Cobb a call and see how he does business. Complete opposites. Vendors that have been great to deal with include Mitch, Dzenno from PTF and Tom from Champion.
Review of the kit/install this far:
Everything was dropped off at my place as the guy who bought the kit from Anthony lives in my city. Couldn’t be easier than that! EvoMS did a beautiful job of packaging the kit up when they removed it from Anthony’s car. Everything was wrapped in brown paper and all the dust sensitive items were vacuum sealed. It was definitely nice to see a company take so much care in something that wasn’t even their own product. Imagine that….. I’ve never dealt with EvoMS, but just based on the packaging of this kit tells me they are very organized and professional. I’m sure they would be a great company to deal with.

Starting point:
I installed a hoist in my garage for this project as I’ve laid under too many cars on jack stands. I had to put 5” anchors in 4” concrete to mount the hoist. It didn’t leave me with a great feeling, so I made sure to torque test every anchor to the rated 90 ft. lb torque setting from the manufacturer and after some re-setting and a day’s work, the hoist was secure.

Install started:
On to the install….. I did a bunch of reading beforehand, trying to pick up any info I could on making parts of the install easier. Huge shout out to guys like therock88 for taking the time to do as many DIY’s as he does, and all the other enthusiasts who really help the community. I’m sure they reach out to more people than they realize. I was really amazed how easy the engine/trans came out. I grabbed a 36” hydraulic table cart to lower the engine. I think it was out in somewhere between 3-4 hours when the engine was on the ground. This was my first time really working on a 997 and using trial on error on what needed to come apart. The car seemed to have endless anti-freeze. Every hose I undid resulted in more anti-freeze. I thought by removing the lowest hoses in the system, everything would drain, not so. I had removed the 4 main hoses, when I looked and saw the overflow container still completely full. Oh well, the floor will dry 
Once the engine/trans were out of the car, I started to take a closer look at the parts in my Switzer kit. I decided to start with the intercoolers. I unwrapped them and took a look…… hmmm, these don’t look like “SPI ‘monster’ intercoolers”. They look like 3.5” 12 row coolers with poor density. The 997.2 cores look much nicer to me and the AMS coolers look to be in another league. I expected to see beautiful 5” high density cores. I also noticed that it looked like a bottom tap was snapped off inside one of the locating pin threads. WTF? I’ll attach pics of the install after this initial post as I just want to type it all out. Regardless of the parts, I own the kit now so I’ll continue installing it. I took apart my stock intercoolers and started the swap. I ground off the sealing rings on the shrouds, and put weather stripping along the entire edge on all sides. I went to attach the shrouds and the cores are too wide? Again, doesn’t seem right. I didn’t measure, but I think about ½”. Well, it’s not like I can shrink the cores, so let’s move on. I took a small electric dremel and cut strips along the tabs so I could mount large tie straps. I have to REALLY work the shrouds to get them over the cores. In the end, with a lot of elbow grease I got the shrouds in place with no visible light anywhere in the core. They appear to be perfectly sealed. I’m happy with the results. I went to put the mounting bracket back on the first cooler. I think I realized why the tap was broken off in the locating pin. When the pins were welded on the core, the one pin was welding crooked. It was off centered and the bracket didn’t want to sit in the core. I think Switzer went to re-tap the threads when the tap broke off and they decided to just let it be. I got both coolers completed in 4-5 hours. This was including a run to the auto store for weather stripping and zip ties. If the cores fit properly, it would have been much faster.
I decided at this point to grab a few parts from EvoMS. I grabbed new plugs, ignition coils and Shark Werks stainless coolant pipes. Another $2000, but better now than later.
I yanked the turbos, manifolds and exhaust off the car. I had a Europipe on the car. The cats are crazy on that exhaust. The Europipe is a piece of art. Time to mount the Switzer/Alpha turbos. This was one of the main reasons for my call to Switzer… What did they do for the oil/water lines? Looks like I’m on my own to figure it out. A few bolts/washers got lost in the removal so I went out and grabbed them. I got the turbos up and in position and started looking at the lines. I will say that Switzer nailed this. They have some adapters on the Alpha turbos that mate directly to the factory lines. Only 1 water line to be changed, swap the oil tanks over and the other 3 lines needed a little finesse to move into place and everything was beautiful. Wow, something went really well!!!.... and… this was what I was most worried about.
My EvoMS order arrived and I changed the coils/plugs. Simple when the engine is out, but I can see why everyone complains about changing the plugs with the engine is in. Pretty crazy. The design of this engine goes against everything I know 
Next up, clutch…. I called a buddy to come help with the clutch. Alignment of the transmission over the new clutch would be pretty tough by yourself. The previous owner of the kit purchased an ERP triple carbon and I grabbed it off him with the kit. The clutch looks very stout. The transmission was really easy to remove. There are only 4 bolts holding it on. The only catch is the clutch fork pin. Once the pin is out, the transmission just slipped right off. I followed all the instructions on prepping and assembling the clutch. I now understand why everyone complains about putting the clutch fork pin back in. This was by far the most difficult part of the install. The pin went in nicely, but didn’t seem to want to go far enough in for the bolt bracket to sit correctly. I ended up pulling the transmission back off and looking at exactly how it sat. On the 2nd attempt, all was good.
At this point I was feeling pretty good. Turbos on, lines on, plugs, coils etc. It was starting to look like the engine could go back in soon! I put the exhaust/wastegates on. Switzer did a beautiful job on their exhaust. Perfect fitment, beautiful welds. I went to a local auto store and grabbed new studs/nuts. The studs were 56mm, instead of the Porsche 26mm? I cut them down on my chop saw and used Copper kote on all the threads. New parts makes assembling so much nicer.
I took a quick look at how the Shark Werks coolant pipes go in…… WOW, this was a big job! They aren’t just hanging out on the outside of the engine. Did I really need to put these in now? Were the stock ones going to fail? I just want to get the engine back in! I decided to sit on it for a day or two.
Now, time to attack the “E85” fuel system. We don’t have E85 in Canada, but I can get it at VP fuels. I know I’m going to be pushing the limits of the stock engine (I didn’t do rods in this build, that’s a next winter project). I think I’ll grab 2 55 gallon drums of C85 and make this my fuel for the year to be safe…. Let’s look at what I got for this 1000 hp E85 fuel system! Hmm, 2 255 lph Walbro pumps? They are good for what, 300hp each on E85? How EXACTLY did Anthony’s car put out 835whp on E85 with 2 255 lph fuel pumps? Seeing how Switzer won’t give me the answer, I’m assuming it didn’t. The E85 kit included 2 pieces of 6 an stainless braided hose (4ft/6ft?) a Ford Thunderbird stock fuel filter, 2 255 lph walbro pumps, 1300cc injectors? and a fuse/relay block. I’ve never built a 997 before, but this doesn’t seem like a 1000 hp fuel system. My 900 hp VW (6 cyl) runs 10 AN in, 8 back, 2 Bosch 044 pumps, and huge 10 micron filter, a billet fuel rail and 1600cc injectors. I thought I remembered Anthony saying this was a $5000 upgrade. I certainly don’t see $5000 sitting here. I see a kit that looks like it was assembled from parts from an auto wrecker. Anyway, time to look inside the gas tank. Wow!!!! This isn’t what I expected. Hoses, hoses and more hoses. (I’m used to seeing line in, line out and vent). After a lot of undoing, I managed to get the surge tank out. I took a look at the surge tank and remembered reading prodigymb posting about the basket being glued together. I sent him a message and he was really helpful. He said to me that his basket “wasn’t pretty” going back in. After talking to him about what came in the Switzer kit he said “why don’t you just get some new rails and build a new fuel system”. This really was the obvious choice, but I was stuck in the “well, it worked for Switzer” mentality. Thanks for helping me realize it!!! Anyway, I completely destroyed the surge basket trying to disassemble it. It’s REALLY glued together. I found a new one on eBay as Porsche doesn’t sell the basket separately. It comes fully assembled with new pumps/lines etc. How does everyone else upgrade the pumps? I’m assuming all the cars with over 1000 hp have upgraded their pumps? I have to be much more careful taking apart the new one. I feel like it will turn out ok with some patience. At the same time, I decided I only want to do this once so I need to build a new fuel system…… properly this time. 4 hours or so on Jegs and I managed to assemble a kit I’m happy with. 2 Walbro E85 450 lph pumps into a #8 bulkhead in the tank lid, #8 nylon braided E85 hose to the transmission area, through a 6 micron #8 E85 fuel labs filter, into a stainless Y using Nickel plated E85 fittings before the rails, into each Silly Rabbit Motorsport billet fuel rail holding 1300 cc injectors. Out of rails using #6 and run the “passenger” side rail through the stock fuel cooler, merge the lines into a #6 y and into a fuel labs 200gph E85 FPR, from FPR into Syvecs #6 fuel sensor, from sensor back with #6 nylon braided line into tank. All fittings are stainless or Nickel plated for E85. Now, this is what I consider a 1000 hp E85 fuel system. Cost….. about $3000. If Switzer really is charging $5000 for this upgrade, there would still be a huge mark up on this fuel system. I think this was the biggest disappointment in the “E911” kit. On a side note, the length of the fuel lines on the Walbros inside the tank from the Switzer kit “leads me to believe” that they are not using the factory fuel surge tank/basket and are just “laying” the pumps in the lower humps of the fuel tank. Seems odd, but all the lines were still fully assembled when I received the kit which would be impossible if the pumps were removed from the surge tank. Considering Neil won’t call me back, I take this as the way it was. Were the pumps really moving around freely in the fuel tank? I’m sure EvoMS knows the answer.
At this point I decided that while I’m waiting for my fuel system to arrive, I might as well install the Shark Werks coolant pipes. I pulled the intake manifolds off and oil cooler. You can see the small coolant pipes pretty clearly, but actually getting at them is pretty difficult. I have scratched knuckles on both hands from doing this job. I’m not sure if I should have dismantled more off the top of the engine? It probably took me about 3 hours to do the 3 coolant pipes. This was once the engine was out and partly taken apart. Not extremely difficult, just frustrating and time consuming for what seems like an easy job. After the fact, I’m glad I did it. I know the pipes are solid now.

Next to come:
My fuel system will be arriving this week and I’m hoping to have it in this weekend. Then I can re-install the engine/trans, put the car on the ground and pull my stock ECU out. I have to send it with the Syvecs ECU to Syvecs so they can read my factory immobilizer codes and program them into the Syvecs. I’ll get the ECU back and the car should be ready to run!!! Now that I’m changing the fuel system, fuel pressure etc, I’m hoping the car runs “ok” to get it to the dyno to do some tuning.
Pics to come….

Old 02-08-2015, 12:16 PM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
I almost bought this kit from Anthony and the second owner and I had the same results dealing with Neil. I don't think he is the owner though I think Tym is but my interaction with them had a lot to do with me not buying the kit when it came back on the market....

Now back to reading your wall of text

Old 02-08-2015, 12:57 PM
sunset gun will become famous soon enoughsunset gun will become famous soon enough
Wow!! vr6tee, you are brave, courageous, and bold. Thanks so much for taking the time to share. Canadian winters do have certain redeeming qualities.
I'll be staying tuned for further details.

All the best.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:17 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Wow! Sorry to hear it's been such a headache. Customer service when I dealt with them was very poor as well. The worst I have ever dealt with in my entire life. I don't know how they are still in business honestly. I'm still in shock about the fuel system they installed!

I hope everything gets better for you. Sean messaged me that you got a fuel system from him. We are friends and talk quite often. He is an awesome guy.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:46 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Anthony,
It was great talking to Sean. He's a really nice guy who has done the same transition as me. I came from VW and he came from Audi. I can't wait to see the parts he's going to make for our cars. The parts he's made so far are really top notch. He's a real enthusiast just building stuff because he loves it and it doesn't currently exist.

I'll get everything sorted out and the car will be awesome, it just would have been nice if Switzer's kit and customer service was up to par. My goal with installing this kit was to learn a lot about the car, I've certainly done that

Old 02-08-2015, 03:58 PM
A few pics as promised....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pic0.jpg (89.5 KB, 727 views)
pic1.jpg (122.0 KB, 663 views)
pic2.jpg (96.9 KB, 658 views)
pic3.jpg (112.5 KB, 657 views)
pic3-1.jpg (71.6 KB, 656 views)
Old 02-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Pics 2

Attached Images
pic3-2.jpg (86.9 KB, 670 views)
pic3-3.jpg (97.5 KB, 621 views)
pic3-6.jpg (129.9 KB, 646 views)
pic4.jpg (104.1 KB, 625 views)
pic5.jpg (94.7 KB, 633 views)
Old 02-08-2015, 04:01 PM
pics 3

Attached Images
pic6.jpg (88.6 KB, 628 views)
pic7.jpg (83.3 KB, 613 views)
pic8.jpg (98.8 KB, 632 views)
pic9.jpg (76.6 KB, 627 views)
pic10.jpg (70.9 KB, 619 views)
Old 02-08-2015, 04:02 PM
pics 4

Attached Images
pic11.jpg (65.3 KB, 623 views)
pic12.jpg (62.0 KB, 622 views)
pic14.jpg (111.8 KB, 615 views)
pic15.jpg (60.8 KB, 613 views)
pipes.jpg (50.9 KB, 619 views)
Old 02-08-2015, 05:11 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
Best of luck buddy ..
Keep us posted

Old 02-08-2015, 07:38 PM
PABers is on a distinguished road
Nice write up; great detail. Keep it coming!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:52 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
Wow can't believe they sold the small IC's with that kit and to hear they're aren't even responding to you. Good luck

Old 02-08-2015, 08:24 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
More grease to your elbows for taking this on without input from the kit manufacturer...and in your garage to boot! Looking forward to hearing how she runs when done!

Old 02-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Hey James appreciate the kind words sir and sorry to hear on the communication setbacks. Let me know if I can help in any way. Looking forward to seeing that beast out there.

Dzenno@PTF

Old 02-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks Dzenno, you did a killer tune on my Cobb access port. Are you up to do some remote tuning on a Sykes S8?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switzer E911 – take 2 review/install