997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Turbo phase 2 time (conversion to 'standard' turbos)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:41 AM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
Mechanically its perfect.. surprisingly. No more bugs, but the tune needs a lot of work.

Hind sight 20/20 I would have not done the proEFI at this point. I would have retained the MAFs and stuck with a stock ECU +Cobb.

If I can't sort it fairly quickly I will probably end up dropping the motor and doing exactly that. Ive been race cars from scratch faster than this thing.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:40 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Looks like it's coming along well. I tried to convince you to do Syvecs or Cobb.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:22 AM
chidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the rough
any updates? your fab skills are amazing..

Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 AM
jazz997tt is a splendid one to beholdjazz997tt is a splendid one to beholdjazz997tt is a splendid one to beholdjazz997tt is a splendid one to beholdjazz997tt is a splendid one to beholdjazz997tt is a splendid one to behold
Wondering did you try reaching out to Dzenno from PTF? Super nice guy having talked to him on a number of occassions, I'm sure he'd be able to help you out with that stuff. I don't think they've done proEFI yet but he's done some pretty incredible things with Cobb and AEM Infinity so far and he loves this stuff.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:37 AM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
Car runs, drives but not great. WOT on the wastegate (1 bar) is fine.

Needs a few hours on the street with an expert, and a half day on a dyno to tune on high(er) boost.

I could probably continue to tune the car on my own, but it doesnt make sense for me to re invent the wheel. I have learned a ****load though just getting it this far.

I am trying to get the vendor I purchased the proEFI from down here in the next week. If that doesn't come to fruition I will either find another tuner for the proEFI, or switch back to the stock ECU and have COBB tune it. Mitch was very helpful and lined up what I needed to do to make it run like a dream on the stock ECU.

Dz definitely knows his ****, I had planned originally to have him tune my car when I was staying with bolt on stuff.. but then I went bonkers

One way or another.. it will be running on high boost/etc in a week or 2.. even if I have to go back to the stock ECU.

I would stick to the proEFI (not only because of the $$ I have in it) but I like having access to the tune personally for tweaks at the track/etc but also FlexFuel which I plan to use all E85 has to offer next winter when I do the short block..

Old 05-26-2015, 11:48 AM
Looks like we will be finishing the tune next monday/tuesday. hopefully ill be posting some dyno videos and not picking up broken parts off the road

Old 06-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Day 1 of having Garth from Undercover here and man, thing runs great. its almost unbelievable how quickly he got the car running well. he knows his ****, and I dont say that often.

We are scheduled to be on Dallas Racing's dyno tomorrow for some "power pulls". Even on the wastegate spring it pulls pretty damn good! With any luck we will get some 60-130s.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:44 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Awesome. It is amazing what a good tuner can do!

Lets hear some 60-130's!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Car is a freaking beast.

Ill post more details later, but car made 715rw on 93 octane with out pushing it. Put e85 in it, started to slowly up the boost after peak tq to keep the rods happy (ran 16psi until after peak tq every run, all day).

Then a freakin vacuum line came loose, and boost dropped down to 20psi. Only made 765rw running funky on 20psi. Found the loose line and fixed, but Garth had to catch his flight. 800rw would have been easy.

Car is a freaking beast. Drives awesome, the proEFI system now that it is setup by Garth is amazing. Can't wait to build a short block and really turn it up..

Old 06-03-2015, 06:48 AM
SAE, No smoothing.

Pump gas

E85.. but down on boost

Old 06-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Very impressive power on pump 93, and fantastic torque curve or should I say table. That shows a very good tuner was at the helm :-).

I'm a bit surprised with the boost lag though - 3586 turbos seem to peak at 5000 rpm. Not sure what I was expecting from the 5558s but overall, not bad at all.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:47 AM
jazz997tt is a splendid one to beholdjazz997tt is a splendid one to beholdjazz997tt is a splendid one to beholdjazz997tt is a splendid one to beholdjazz997tt is a splendid one to beholdjazz997tt is a splendid one to behold
Great looking graphs but given your larger turbos I think your numbers look a bit low? Is it because of turbo size? You are on Dynojet and if you were on Mustang your numbers would have been lower by 10-15% given everything I have seen and read so far. Dynojets read higher than Mustangs. Can you chime in? How much boost are you pushing?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:00 AM
More power than I wanted to make, ha.

15psi @ peak torque, ramping up after that.. 23-24 ish? I need to log some runs.

I wanted 600rw on low boost, 700rw on E85 until I build a short block.. exceeded that.. oops.

Made 612rwhp on 15psi.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Undercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond repute
jazz997tt, the power is absolutely not low for a stock motor. On 16 psi it made 612whp on pump. And the power curve is depicted by me not by the turbos for the sake of the stock rods. The most boost we saw is 24psi at redline.

If we didn't care about the rods I would've forced the wastegates shut of idle and seen significantly higher torque and boost at a lower rpm.

However I prefer not to tune in that fashion on a stock motor.

Garth@undercover

Old 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Yup.. what garth said. we were commanding 1 bar, we were commanding "0".. so the spring was the only thing holding boost to keep peak TQ down. i want this thing to last. We only started using the boost control after peak TQ.

This was with a full exhaust with mufflers and a cross over also. I wanted it fairly quiet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo phase 2 time (conversion to 'standard' turbos)