997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Inconel Kline Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:46 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Inconel Kline Review

Alright.........so time for the much anticipated kline review.......

Let me start by saying the folks over at Kline are excellent. Everything people say about Christian and Felix, along with their customer service, is absolutely suburb. Too be honest, in modifying my past 2 performance cars (shelby gt500 and corvette zr1), I've never met someone in the aftermarket community that gives the customer service they do. They truly care about their product, and produce something great. More importantly though, they care about customer satisfaction as their top priority. And they will do anything to reach that goal.

I don't know many other aftermarket companies that will do this. Most of them just put their head in the sand when it comes to stretching themselves in this regard. Their are a few exceptions out there of course, and kline is one of them. They take responsibility for their product, whether it is good or bad. Which is rare in the aftermarket. Most people just take responsibility when the product is good.

So with all the exhausts out there why did I decide to go with kline......Well it's the only one out there made out of inconel. What is inconel? It is a formula 1 grade metal, that is used in F1 and any other high end motorsport. It is a grade above titanium with the advantage of not cracking under heavy tracking like titanium does. It is also just as light as titanium. Many GT3 RS owners according to sharkwerks come in with cracked exhausts, which then end up switching to steel. If you don't like that though, there is another solution, which is inconel.

Weight:I like people who innovate. Since most brands are steel with the exception of quicksilver and akrapovic, who make titanium, this attracted me to Kline. Plus with some of the price of the steel units, the inconel for equal or slightly more money is a no brainer. Why pay 4-6k for a steel exhaust? Or more in the case of akrapovic and capristo. And this exhaust is pretty light to the point where you actually feel the weight difference. I can feel the rear end is slightly lighter when running with this exhaust. On my scale I put the exhaust on, it came in at 15 pounds with no cats. The 200 cell cats are a couple pounds each. So this entire exhaust is under 20 pounds practically.

Heat: So as I said before, this exhaust has superior heating properties. For those that track a lot, they won't have to worry about their exhaust blowing a hole from overheating like those with titanium.

Quality: This exhaust really is a work of art. I'm no expert on build or welds, but my mechanic was extremely impressed with this exhaust. He even fabricates his own exhausts for his porsche cars. The fit was perfect. The only thing to note is that the 02 sensors need to be adjusted slightly to work at a 45 degree angle, rather than straight in the cat like the OEM exhaust has it. Took my mechanic 15 minutes to deal with this. He was very impressed with how easy it fit. Also just looking at it, the exhaust looks pretty. Also they use German HJS HD tuning cats. Let's just get it out of the way, yes europipe cats are the best. They are made by Emitec (or is it Emetic?). But whatever, HJS uses emetic cores, and many other companies are fine with HJS HD cats. But if something should happen, they will replace it for you.

Sound: This is the most subjective of all. I like the sound. It's throaty and gets high pitched higher in the rev range. This was another reason I went with inconel, is to create a higher pitched sound. I made some videos, which I sent to Sam from ByDesign and Kline. They have to edit my license plate out, but they will post the videos up for people. Now if you do not want a loud exhaust, and only loud when you want it, this exhaust is for you. If you want an exhaust comparable in volume to say bbi or GMG, you need to order the 2.75 inch or 3 inch systems. This exhaust with 200 cell cats is silent under 2k RPM.

If I ordered it again I'd probably go 100 cell cats or even the 2.75 inch system. Christian offered to switch the 100 cell cats free of charge for me, but it's ok, I don't want to keep paying my mechanic to play with it. He even offered for only an extra few hundred, to build me a 2.75 inch system, and send back my 2.5 inch one. This is an example the lengths this company will go to, in order to make their customer happy. The point is the jekyll and hyde metaphor is a good one to use for this exhaust. Now ignore my 2.75 inch or 3 inch recommendation if you want to go catless. They give you decatt pipes with your exhaust and of course this makes the car really sing. But I'm more focused on running with cats.

Once you get over 2k RPM the volume will build. On the highway it's like driving a Tesla. No drone, no sound, nothing. I'm obviously exaggerating here, the point I am trying got get across is, it won't drone or bother anyone on the highway. Also the sound seems very refined. I don't know how else to describe it. It's almost as if they found a way to control the chaos that comes from exhaust making noise. I would say it is a similar kind of sensation on any new porsche. Your exhaust can go make crazy noises but your car is completely composed. There are no rattles, or weird vibrations, or resonance in any RPM range.

Power:I have no tune, but there is definitely a noticeable power increase. Once you get to 2k RPM, the car accelerates quicker. I normally drive in normal mode, and it feels more similar to how sport mode use to be. Now sport mode got a bump up, so it's faster too. I use to hate normal mode because of how slow the car would be in comparison to sport. Now normal mode is bearable!

Sorry for the super long a$$ review, but there was a lot of heat on this topic, kline is a new company, so I wanted to be thorough and give a review of my experience. I will definitely be calling on them again to make an exhaust for me when I get into a GT3.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:48 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	416927

Name:	IMG_0331.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	416928

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	930.6 KB
ID:	416929

Name:	IMG_0333.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	1,010.3 KB
ID:	416930

The scale shows 12 pounds but really it's 15. My scale is 3 pounds off. Also I put a picture to show the cat really is HJS HD. No doubters.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:57 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Nice Review! Glad your happy with your purchase. I have a friend that just bought Kline also. Cant wait to hear it in person.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:51 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Beautiful looking exhaust. Can't wait to receive my SS headers and Inconel exhaust. Why did you want to go with the 2.5"? Is it only for sound that you were worried about?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by 808c2s
Beautiful looking exhaust. Can't wait to receive my SS headers and Inconel exhaust. Why did you want to go with the 2.5"? Is it only for sound that you were worried about?
My main reason was sound. Anything else that benefited as a result was bonus. But coming from 2 american v8 cars, I underestimated how quiet the turbo really is. So if I were to do it over, I'd go with a 2.75 or 3 inch system to get more volume for my taste. That is specific to me.

There are a bunch of people who are satisfied with 2.5 inch 200 cell systems. When they post my videos you will see. It isn't quiet. It's only quiet during normal cruising. Above 2k RPM it's about 20% louder than stock? It then gets maybe up to 30% louder total at WOT? If I had to guess.

I'd say if someone wanted a bit more noise than stock, but not go all out super loud, to get the 2.5 inch with 100 cell cats. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish, and your tolerance and taste for noise.

If you are someone who wants super loud but need cats, the 2.75 or 3 inch is the way to go. If you don't need cats the 2.5 is more than enough.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:32 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Is this the exhaust in the GT2 video recently released by Kline?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by IMI A
Is this the exhaust in the GT2 video recently released by Kline?
I don't know. I think that one was 100 cell cats or decat. But it was the 2.5 inch system.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:50 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by speedsterr
I don't know. I think that one was 100 cell cats or decat. But it was the 2.5 inch system.
interesting - would you say yours sounds the same as that vid? it was very exotic sounding!

Old 03-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by IMI A
interesting - would you say yours sounds the same as that vid? it was very exotic sounding!
As I compare it to other exhausts, a good way to describe it is the throaty sound you get from a bbi or europipe even.

These 3 exhaust all make that throaty rumbling sound when taking off. But they have a different pitch. Europipe is the lowest, BBI is in the middle, and kline is at the top end.

In essence though that throaty sound is something they all make just in different volume and pitch. The ones that I think just make some kind of noise in between that or like a honda civic are the other brands. They have no distinct sound characteristic. They are just noise.

Listen to this agera at 1:24. That throaty cracking noise is the sound I am trying to describe. Expect the porsche is just much less nice since it's not an agera. So imagine that but in a more tone downed baby scale. That gets you europipe, bbi, and kline.

The GT2 stock sounds different than the turbo S. So you can't really compare that GT2 video to the turbo S. You will see when they post the videos I made it's like a baby agera kinda noise. But again the difference really comes in which pitch you prefer. If you ask me, I'd only choose between BBI and Kline. Do you want steel or inconel? Or if you want kline steel that is fine too. It will be cheaper than BBI and europipe.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Great write up and descriptions Speed. That will help many people. What you have is the most gentlemanly version lol. Lets see how it grows on you and if you need more later.

That Kioenigsegg video has ruined me by the way. Thanks a lot!!!!

Old 03-24-2015, 12:26 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
in for the vids when available.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
This is right when it was installed. So it will get a little more volume over 2-300 miles.

Kline 997.2TT Quiet W/200CEL Cats

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 03-26-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Great vid! Thanks for sharing. I wish there was a way to better normalize these exhaust videos such that you can make a better comparison between all the exhausts on the market.

Many of these exhaust threads seem to devolve into pissing matches but in my opinion, (keeping in mind many options out there with similar perf and weight savings) each of us have our own sound that we're searching for. Glad to see that you were able to find yours!

Old 03-25-2015, 07:38 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
What happened to the video? It said that it was removed by user?

Old 03-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by 808c2s
What happened to the video? It said that it was removed by user?
They are editing it to make sure my license plate doesn't show at all. It did a little bit. It will get reposted tomorrow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Inconel Kline Review