997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Build: Champion VTG's + Intercoolers + ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pureporsche
As it turns out, the noise is coming from the front diff, which now needs to be replaced Cost of a new Diff $8500 Canadian. Found some cheap ones for 5300 US.
Call LA Dismantlers. I have a customer that recently bought an entire front diff assembly from them for about $1500usd.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:51 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Call LA Dismantlers. I have a customer that recently bought an entire front diff assembly from them for about $1500usd.
Thanks Tom!

I'll do that first thing Friday when I get back to the west coast time.
The whole thing is very frustrating to say the least. Still puzzles me how this could happen. I drive it hard but I never launched the car.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Pure,

sorry to hear about the front diff.

I have the champion 68s etc.. and run 94 octane gas. I have the Cobb tune courtesy of Dzenno. My injector duty cycle on 94 octane gas was in the mid 90s at higher rpms so I upgraded to ID1000 injectors. I'm not looking for much more power on pumpgas but there is definitely a safety margin with adequate fueling. Note that I was running a 5 bar fpr on stock injectors at the time I was at the track and logged the high injector duty cycles. I'm not sure if it is related, but the shop I was recently getting work done in indicated that the reference line was off my fpr - must not have been properly reconnected when the stock fpr was changed to 5 bar fpr at the time my turbos were changed.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:09 AM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
Bogg, it's actually a common occurrence. The car can run lean when that happens, really dangerous. Mitch had a post on it. It is something that can be checked regularly.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-fpr-line.html

-Jose

Old 04-16-2015, 07:10 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjurroz
Bogg, it's actually a common occurrence. The car can run lean when that happens, really dangerous. Mitch had a post on it. It is something that can be checked regularly.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-fpr-line.html

-Jose
the hose was attached when I had taken the car in to get the fpr changed along with other stuff. I just assumed it would be attached properly by the shop I used. The most recent shop I used said it was unattached so either it was never attached or it blew off (if that's possible?). The shop owner said it was probably the 5bar fpr that kept things "okay" despite the reference line being off. I did lots of logs and I don't think it was running particularly lean on boost but I will have to take another look at them when I get back home from vacation.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:35 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
the hose was attached when I had taken the car in to get the fpr changed along with other stuff. I just assumed it would be attached properly by the shop I used. The most recent shop I used said it was unattached so either it was never attached or it blew off (if that's possible?). The shop owner said it was probably the 5bar fpr that kept things "okay" despite the reference line being off. I did lots of logs and I don't think it was running particularly lean on boost but I will have to take another look at them when I get back home from vacation.
@jjurroz, Good note!
I remember reading that thread - very timely. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Quick update...
I secured a "cheap" used front diff, which is being shipped as I type this. Together with that, I'll be replacing the left-front axle and seals (all new components). All said and done, that operation has added 3k (Canadian) to my build
Unavoidable unfortunately.

This buys me two weeks to source the tune and other components.

I've decided to go with Cobb.
Softronic was fantastic (what I currently have) - nothing but good things to say about that tune, and GIAC's turn key custom solution was a definite contender, but in the end I like the idea of being more involved in the tuning of the car.

So Dzenno, I'll be in touch shortly.

...so here's an interesting question that no one has asked on this forum as yet WRT the cobb tune. Maybe the reason that no one has is cause it's a stupid question , but...

With Cobb, one still maintains the "stock" mode when the sport button is not engaged (Correct?).
Is it possible to tune those maps? And if it is, has any one tuned them for optimized fuel economy (with all the new bolt ons)?
Know what I mean?

So essentially sport mode will run the gluttonous, gazillion horsepower mode while in "non-sport" mode, the power steps down and is tuned maximum fuel economy. Is this even possible?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 AM
Mitch/Dzenno - or any one else for that matter has had interest in something similar as above ^^^

I pulled the trigger on the Cobb w/ pro tuning this weekend

Old 04-20-2015, 08:03 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Really sport mode is a toggle in a torque value. We can adjust it to make sport mode faster, but normal mode will also be faster.

Hope that makes sense. When I get the office I can elaborate more if needed.

-Mitch

Old 04-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Mitch/Dzenno - or any one else for that matter has had interest in something similar as above ^^^

I pulled the trigger on the Cobb w/ pro tuning this weekend
Just resist the urge to stomp on it at every chance and the mileage isn't bad. My normal and sport mode are pretty much the same apart from throttle mapping differences and I like it this way.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Really sport mode is a toggle in a torque value. We can adjust it to make sport mode faster, but normal mode will also be faster.

Hope that makes sense. When I get the office I can elaborate more if needed.

-Mitch
Interesting - didn't know that.
I was under the impression that the modes were using two completely different sets of maps.
...well there goes that idea

Looks like I'll be stomping on it too!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
To be fair it does a few things, but it's not just a fuel map for sport and normal, timing map for sport and one for normal.

We can do somethings to change the feel of it for sure though.

Hope that helps!

-Mitch

Old 05-01-2015, 07:15 AM
So the age old question... Spark Plugs!?
I figure that as the exhaust is coming off with the new bolt-ons coming on, its a perfect time to swap out the sparkplugs.

I have been running OEM plugs with my softronic tune for just under 20,000 km (still no issue), but figure they are at the end of their life.

Tom (Champion), I have read you are a proponent of the OEM plugs with your 68mm VTG builds.
Dzenan (tuning Freaks), you had mentioned Bosch Motorsport F5DPOR, 1 step colder ---> but can't seem to locate these any where, amazon or other wise.
Mitch (Cobb)?

As mentioned I'll be running 94 Octane only, and more interested in reliability than pushing the components to the last 0.5 hp.

Would the pros chime in. I'm looking for something that is gapped properly already (less margin of error) and is an absolute top notch plug - with proven history of use with these upgrades.

Last edited by pureporsche; 05-01-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
So the age old question... Spark Plugs!?
I figure that as the exhaust is coming off with the new bolt-ons coming on, its a perfect time to swap out the sparkplugs.

I have been running OEM plugs with my softronic tune for just under 20,000 km (still no issue), but figure they are at the end of their life.

Tom (Champion), I have read you are a proponent of the OEM plugs with your 68mm VTG builds.
Dzenan (tuning Freaks), you had mentioned Bosch Motorsport F5DPOR, 1 step colder ---> but can't seem to locate these any where, amazon or other wise.
Mitch (Cobb)?

As mentioned I'll be running 94 Octane only, and more interested in reliability than pushing the components to the last 0.5 hp.

Would the pros chime in. I'm looking for something that is gapped properly already (less margin of error) and is an absolute top notch plug - with proven history of use with these upgrades.
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1430/

Old 05-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
Show off

But this is an OEM plug no? Not the one step colder. Which is kinda what confused me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Build: Champion VTG's + Intercoolers + ...