997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Build: Champion VTG's + Intercoolers + ...

Old 05-01-2015, 07:42 AM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Show off

But this is an OEM plug no? Not the one step colder. Which is kinda what confused me.
Its OEM for some cars, yes, like Audi. Heat range of this plug is 1 step colder than the OEM 997.1 spark plug. Our shop's 997.1 with Tial Alpha 3076 turbos would break up ignition past 24psi on the OEM Bosch plugs. These have no issues at all and the great thing is they already run a shorter gap of 0.6mm (0.0236") so you can just install them and go.

I'm personally not a huge fan of Iridium tip plugs. All of them require gapping and we've seen time and time again people not be careful when gapping them, bending the ground strap back/forth to adjust the right gap Ground strap is laser welded on them and if you close the gap too far and then try opening it back up again to adjust is really making that laser type weld weak and ground straps can go missing LOL Obviously if you know what you're doing then this won't be a problem but the question is why bother.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:17 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Just picked up 6. Thanks Dzenan!

Old 05-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kenromero
I've gone that full route!! Unfortunately I did push the limit and bent 3 rods.
I would recommend that if you want the increased power with the 68s and intercoolers, etc. stick with the stock injectors. Go the larger injectors only if you are willing to do an engine build as a result of pushing the limit of a stock engine.
My engine build has just started and I hope to realize all the power the 68s are capable of.
Did you grenade it by pushing the limits of the stock internals? I tend to go safer rather than sorry so I agree here. The problem is that its self critiquing when you find the limits of the stock internals. You get to build a new engine.

So maybe prodigymb can tell us all what the limits of the stock internals are so people dont have to build an engine?

Can you do that for us?

Old 05-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jjurroz
Bogg, it's actually a common occurrence. The car can run lean when that happens, really dangerous. Mitch had a post on it. It is something that can be checked regularly.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-fpr-line.html

-Jose
This is what progidymb and pureporsche were denying when I started the tuner thread. Of course I am an idiot for worried about a lean condition, which is kinda sad these guys are taken as experts when they dont even understand the limits of systems.
First thing a guy that tunes his car should be asking is his A/F ratio even before his HP number off the Dyno. When you are close to the limits one hose will get you needing a new mill.

Again this is BASIC tuning. I can't believe people dont understand that. One of the big reasons I ended up going with Cobb was because Mitch and the Cobb guys GET IT. They already addressed this issue. A few other tuners had but not like Cobb did. Markski does it but there are tuners out there that dont address this.
Im no expert, but then again I dont post things that if someone does something wrong they are out 20k in an engine.

SO listen to prodigymb at your peril he never mentioned A/F ratio when tuning a car, he recommends adding parts that will push the limits of what cars are safely able to handle. The sad thing, grown men wish they could be him so they follow him because they think its cool.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:32 PM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
Did this happen while you were running GIAC and Champion 68s?

I'm surprised. I thought Champion/GIAC had a policy not to tune anyone beyond their "safety" threshold.

Was this on pump gas also?

-Jose

Originally Posted by kenromero
I've gone that full route!! Unfortunately I did push the limit and bent 3 rods.
I would recommend that if you want the increased power with the 68s and intercoolers, etc. stick with the stock injectors. Go the larger injectors only if you are willing to do an engine build as a result of pushing the limit of a stock engine.
My engine build has just started and I hope to realize all the power the 68s are capable of.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:00 PM
kenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jjurroz
Did this happen while you were running GIAC and Champion 68s?

I'm surprised. I thought Champion/GIAC had a policy not to tune anyone beyond their "safety" threshold.

Was this on pump gas also?

-Jose
Yes, but I really did "Push the Limit". I should have heeded the warnings I continue to read on 6speed but I always assumed I could have more power because the Mezger was so strong. It was like someone said in a previous post 'it's an addiction', you always want more. I was not on pump I was running 110.
This is why my opinion is to stay stock injectors, one will be limited to what they can provide and not be tempted to go further. I have no doubt the larger injectors would be ok with conservative mapping, it's just the temptation that's the risk!

Old 05-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Temptation is definitely a problem especially when tuning customer cars with EBCs for instance, or even worse nitrous, where they can "turn it up just a little more" without understanding the risks/implications.

We simply suggest capping torque to 600-650 to keep it safe. That's plenty of torque if you pick the right turbo and manage to hold it out to 7k RPM making 800-850whp. Run a tune you can monitor and learn a little about what to keep an eye on and you'll be good for quite a while. Nothing lasts forever with enough beating but at least its a sound way of making great gains out of a stock motor setup while making it last until you're ready to take the plunge and build.

Dzenno@PTF

Old 05-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
VERY good advice! As this is how I believe AMS and Switzer makes so much power on their stock motors with their packages. Many doubted the power they were making and or how long their motors would hold together. Because of the for-mentioned advice they hold together for the long haul very nicely and with way more power then ''911 community'' suggest is the upper limit.

Dzenno can't wait to see what you have up your sleeves with your PTF 3076 package!!

Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
Temptation is definitely a problem especially when tuning customer cars with EBCs for instance, or even worse nitrous, where they can "turn it up just a little more" without understanding the risks/implications.

We simply suggest capping torque to 600-650 to keep it safe. That's plenty of torque if you pick the right turbo and manage to hold it out to 7k RPM making 800-850whp. Run a tune you can monitor and learn a little about what to keep an eye on and you'll be good for quite a while. Nothing lasts forever with enough beating but at least its a sound way of making great gains out of a stock motor setup while making it last until you're ready to take the plunge and build.

Dzenno@PTF

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 05-01-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you use these for your 997.2 turbo builds as well? What type of life do you get out of these?

I miss my Supra days when swapping out plugs look about 10 minutes. Plug swaps in my Porsche looks brutal and I don't have much desire to do it myself.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Stage7
Do you use these for your 997.2 turbo builds as well? What type of life do you get out of these?

I miss my Supra days when swapping out plugs look about 10 minutes. Plug swaps in my Porsche looks brutal and I don't have much desire to do it myself.
No just OEM currently on the 997.2, no issues and we never replace anything unless there's a good reason and we must.

Plug swaps are honestly not terrible but its definitely not even close to our BMWs where its in and out in 15mins

Old 05-02-2015, 12:44 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Dzenno, would you suggest these plugs on my car (68vtgs etc) next time I change plugs or stick with oem gapped to 0.025inches? How do you know if ignition is breaking up at higher rpms? i.e. what are the symptoms?

Old 05-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Dzenno, would you suggest these plugs on my car (68vtgs etc) next time I change plugs or stick with oem gapped to 0.025inches? How do you know if ignition is breaking up at higher rpms? i.e. what are the symptoms?
If they're running fine I wouldn't touch them. You could change them to have a bit colder plug if you'd like. Ignition breakup you feel like loss of power with some flutter type sound and hesitation as if fuel is cutting out a bit but nowhere as crazy as a fuel cut at WOT.

Dzenno@PTF

Old 05-09-2015, 07:37 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
If they're running fine I wouldn't touch them. You could change them to have a bit colder plug if you'd like. Ignition breakup you feel like loss of power with some flutter type sound and hesitation as if fuel is cutting out a bit but nowhere as crazy as a fuel cut at WOT.

Dzenno@PTF
...car goes under the knife in two days (Monday).
Should have her back, ready for custom COBB tuning next weekend.

get ready for some emails Dzenno

Old 05-09-2015, 08:51 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
This is what progidymb and pureporsche were denying when I started the tuner thread. Of course I am an idiot for worried about a lean condition, which is kinda sad these guys are taken as experts when they dont even understand the limits of systems.
First thing a guy that tunes his car should be asking is his A/F ratio even before his HP number off the Dyno. When you are close to the limits one hose will get you needing a new mill.

Again this is BASIC tuning. I can't believe people dont understand that. One of the big reasons I ended up going with Cobb was because Mitch and the Cobb guys GET IT. They already addressed this issue. A few other tuners had but not like Cobb did. Markski does it but there are tuners out there that dont address this.
Im no expert, but then again I dont post things that if someone does something wrong they are out 20k in an engine.

SO listen to prodigymb at your peril he never mentioned A/F ratio when tuning a car, he recommends adding parts that will push the limits of what cars are safely able to handle. The sad thing, grown men wish they could be him so they follow him because they think its cool.
So you diss someone and provide zero of value yourself you massive fecking ****

Old 05-09-2015, 08:54 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Cap the ENGINE TORQUE at 750 lbs-ft and you should be fine

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Build: Champion VTG's + Intercoolers + ...