997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Exhaust gasket question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice
Exhaust gasket question

I just bought a used Fabspeed exhaust from a 6speed member and am getting prepared for the install.

I have read many of the DIY horror stories, and in preparation ordered the swivel sockets, the nut splitter, turbo to cat studs and new nuts just in case, but I have seen no mention of exhaust gaskets.

I see the OEM diagrams show a donut style gasket for each side, I am not sure what I am in for. Any help would be appreciated, I am trying to be as prepared as possible.

Thank you,

X...

Old 04-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
It should be best to use new gaskets when installing a used exhaust as used exhausts usually have slightly bend flanges.
They are rather expensive though.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:56 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Agree that above is optimal. However the gaskets are high quality and definitely reusable. I have done so on several occassions with no issues. Do whatever you are comfortable with.

Good luck,
DC

Old 04-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice
Thanks DC, that's about the info I am looking for.

X....

Old 04-18-2015, 04:48 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Xander
Thanks DC, that's about the info I am looking for.

X....
No Problem....Here is a picture of what they look like when you get the OEM Cat off (soaked a little from the PB Blaster (USE PLENTY OF THAT AND LET IT SOAK). I just took them off, cleaned them with solvent, and wiped them with a scuff pad so they were clean and smooth...then re-installed.

And the other picture is after HJS Cat is installed using same gasket. Has been on there for almost 2 years and no leaks or issues.

Good luck,
DC

Old 04-18-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks again!!

X...

Old 04-21-2015, 07:08 AM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
New gaskets have a raised portion that gets crunched when you tighten the nuts at the turbochargers.

Seals much better than a used flat gasket.

Name:  Gasket_zpsn9yxsids.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  254.4 KB

Name:  0.60_zps5mkpee9z.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  1.50_zpsmw3kiscz.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  95.5 KB

Old 04-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Installing new gaskets is always the right way to go when installing new or used parts.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 PM
As I mentioned, I have reused them on several occasions and they are fine.

Agree that if you want the optimal solution, with minimum chance of issues replace everything, every time you work on the car with new OEM parts....Most choose somewhere in between...

For these gaskets, if you choose to replace with new ones, here is the info:

Porsche Genuine Factory Part

Part Number: 99711121770

Muffler gasket 3.6 LITER Left/Right

MSRP $17.22 GET THEM HERE for $13.26

Good luck,
DC

Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 AM
I got the exhaust installed this weekend. Oddly it took me the 6 hours everyone said it would, but for different reasons.

My main 2 issues were the bolts that held the exhaust tips on were really rough, almost like they were cross threaded. One side broke off, and so I put a stainless nut and bolt combo on there after I drilled it out. The other I was real carefull with, and still am afraid to touch it to adjust it

The other thing I was not as prepared for was taking the heat shields off the OEM muffler to get the straps off that hold the muffler to the car. There were about 8 allen bolts per side, and each one was a 8!tch to get off without stripping or breaking them off. I probably tied up an hour or more taking the muffler tips and the heatshields off.

At the end of the day it was all worth it. Improved pedal response, and of course a lot nicer sound coming from the back of the car.

Thanks theRock88 for your help and the intercooler DIY, it helped make this go smoother.

Name:  35B72169-28B5-4293-96E8-99609DBE0D79_zpslhukgsby.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  146.9 KB

Name:  8D34F0FE-B856-4C6D-9D49-8AE20A60DE94_zpslimylfbd.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  155.2 KB

One of the 2 outer bolts that gave me an issue. Like 93LS1RX7 mentioned they seemed to have eroded to a smaller than 13mm size. I cut them off

Name:  AA3F0EFB-0818-4541-938E-98D2FE63C57D_zpsuakmxerr.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  190.2 KB

Before I hide this piece of art.
Name:  B70D878E-1DC1-46CA-B742-1EAD6BC1FD75_zpsf4oerggq.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  144.6 KB

X...

Old 04-29-2015, 04:26 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
I just bought a used Fabspeed exhaust from a 6speed member and am getting prepared for the install.

I have read many of the DIY horror stories, and in preparation ordered the swivel sockets, the nut splitter, turbo to cat studs and new nuts just in case, but I have seen no mention of exhaust gaskets.

I see the OEM diagrams show a donut style gasket for each side, I am not sure what I am in for. Any help would be appreciated, I am trying to be as prepared as possible.

Thank you,

X...
I got new gaskets with my Kline exhaust but when swapping back to stock a year later, the new gaskets where kind of disintegrated. Swapped to new oem gaskets and they where fine (as new) 6 months later. I would order new oem gasket, and also m8 copper exhaust nuts (oem is crap). I got m8 nuts from a BMW dealer cheap (yes bmw has superior parts oem for this)...

Old 04-29-2015, 06:09 PM

The other thing I was not as prepared for was taking the heat shields off the OEM muffler to get the straps off that hold the muffler to the car. There were about 8 allen bolts per side, and each one was a 8!tch to get off without stripping or breaking them off. I probably tied up an hour or more taking the muffler tips and the heatshields off.
Nice work! Looks great. One note for you FYI ( a little late) You should be able to loosen the band clamps for the OEM mufflers and slide them each to the outside edge and remove them without actually taking the heat shield off (unless you need the bands off to re-use?).

Good job!
DC

Old 04-30-2015, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by therock88
Nice work! Looks great. One note for you FYI ( a little late) You should be able to loosen the band clamps for the OEM mufflers and slide them each to the outside edge and remove them without actually taking the heat shield off (unless you need the bands off to re-use?).

Good job!
DC
I wanted to keep the OEM parts in tact. However I could have slid just the clamps toward the outside of the OEM mufflers and taken them off the bracket that holds onto the body that way? Good to know for future installs if that is the case.

X...

Old 05-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
[QUOTE=therock88;4326563]No Problem....Here is a picture of what they look like when you get the OEM Cat off (soaked a little from the PB Blaster (USE PLENTY OF THAT AND LET IT SOAK). I just took them off, cleaned them with solvent, and wiped them with a scuff pad so they were clean and smooth...then re-installed.

And the other picture is after HJS Cat is installed using same gasket. Has been on there for almost 2 years and no leaks or issues.

Good luck,
DC

Aha! So I see that it's normal for the stud to also come off! Mine did as well :-)

Old 03-19-2019, 08:37 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Does the little ridge go against the turbo or the exhaust? How about the ridge on the gasket between head and manifold....which one does it face?

Originally Posted by stef@europipe
New gaskets have a raised portion that gets crunched when you tighten the nuts at the turbochargers.

Seals much better than a used flat gasket.

Attachment 504937

Attachment 504938

Attachment 504939

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust gasket question