997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tires: MPSS shortage / options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:37 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
Tires: MPSS shortage / options?

Well, I went to check/adjust pressures before driving the car today and noticed that I've corded the rears.

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is my favorite tire and what is on this car now. The fronts are still good so I was hoping to just replace the rears but alas the MPSS is STILL in a multi-month shortage/backorder situation with no ETA.

I'm on factory wheels and prefer to stick with factory sizes. Not keen on the Bridgestone or Pirelli options.

Thinking about Michelin Pilot Cup II's as this is purely an occasional canyon carver type car but a set of 4 would cost nearly 3X a pair of MPSS rears only and would not last as long.

What are other good alternatives including potentially DOT-R tires that are not full-blown track-only rubber?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:50 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by campbellcj
Well, I went to check/adjust pressures before driving the car today and noticed that I've corded the rears.

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is my favorite tire and what is on this car now. The fronts are still good so I was hoping to just replace the rears but alas the MPSS is STILL in a multi-month shortage/backorder situation with no ETA.

I'm on factory wheels and prefer to stick with factory sizes. Not keen on the Bridgestone or Pirelli options.

Thinking about Michelin Pilot Cup II's as this is purely an occasional canyon carver type car but a set of 4 would cost nearly 3X a pair of MPSS rears only and would not last as long.

What are other good alternatives including potentially DOT-R tires that are not full-blown track-only rubber?
Try Wheel Enhancement in Culver City for your MPSS.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Cup 2

Cup 2s here are virtually the same price as mPSS here in UK. They're literally giving away Cups and Cup + here.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:28 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Try Wheel Enhancement in Culver City for your MPSS.
Thank you! I just spoke with Dave there and he's holding a pair for me. I have been a customer of theirs off and on for ages but didn't think to check with them for this need. FYI they have moved from Culver City to a location near LAX.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by IMI A
Cup 2s here are virtually the same price as mPSS here in UK. They're literally giving away Cups and Cup + here.
The individual tire price is not the heartburn, it's that I would need to do all 4 in switching types instead of only the rears. Sticking with the MPSS this time since Wheel Enhancement has some in-stock and is local to me. Next time maybe a full set of the Cup II's!

Last edited by cjcam930; 04-24-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
so why aren't they making our tires-I will need 325/25/20 rears soon-few choices in this size.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:47 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by campbellcj
Thank you! I just spoke with Dave there and he's holding a pair for me. I have been a customer of theirs off and on for ages but didn't think to check with them for this need. FYI they have moved from Culver City to a location near LAX.
Dave and John are the best!! Glad to hear they could help you out. I haven't been to the shop since last June and was aware they moved but I've been doing business with them for so long that I just think Culver City.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:51 PM
I just hope I don't succumb to new wheels when I'm there on Tuesday. I can't afford 'em after being raped by the IRS! Honestly I kinda like the factory wheels anyway, which is a lucky thing at this point.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:55 PM
New MPSS rears are installed - thanks again to the Wheel Enhancement folks - this was their last set by the way. Still no ETA from Michelin for our sizes; 19's and 20's 295 and wider.

My car's alignment was a bit whacked, mainly the rear camber and toe, which probably killed the tires a bit prematurely.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
You are lucky to get the tires. I have called and emailed Michelin-same answer-no production of the 325/25/20 PSS is scheduled for the next 4 weeks-(thats as far as they can look ahead)

Old 04-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
I've given up checking...

I want to pick up a set of 245 and 325 20's as a back up for my current wheels just in case i get a flat, but they've been back ordered since about February. Luckily House Motorsports was able to find a set of 325's in a local shop for me or else i would still be waiting on tires. Not really sure why they haven't started producing them yet.