997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Urgent leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:07 PM
jaygotti is on a distinguished road
I got the clutch upgraded with the ft2 slave conversion. Everything seems fine but when I looked this morning there was a leak under the car. Don't think it's coolant since its red. This fluid smells like brake fluid,has no color and is somewhat oily. There is one line blocked off, and left open, could this be residual from the gt2 conversion?

Attached Images    

Last edited by jaygotti; 04-25-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Yes, your accumulator was removed and the lines from the steering pump to the slave are now just tied off (easier than trying to take them out). It could just be residual fluid from the lines. Compare the color with what is in the clutch fluid reservoir to see if it is the same. Hopefully it's different.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Slider
Yes, your accumulator was removed and the lines from the steering pump to the slave are now just tied off (easier than trying to take them out). It could just be residual fluid from the lines. Compare the color with what is in the clutch fluid reservoir to see if it is the same. Hopefully it's different.
This could be pentosin? Could it ? I check it and it was under the cold mark when the car was at operating temperature.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:41 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaygotti
This could be pentosin? Could it ? I check it and it was under the cold mark when the car was at operating temperature.
Pentosin is green. Red may be coolant. But touch it and you'll know. Pentosin is oily and coolant will feel more like water, coolant will also smell "sweet".

Old 04-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by aa909
Pentosin is green. Red may be coolant. But touch it and you'll know. Pentosin is oily and coolant will feel more like water, coolant will also smell "sweet".
It's clear and oily, also after pressing my clutch in my clutch pedal comes up 3/4 of the way then pops up to its full position.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:41 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaygotti
It's clear and oily, also after pressing my clutch in my clutch pedal comes up 3/4 of the way then pops up to its full position.
Sounds like pentosin. But Wipe it up with a clean white rag. Pentosin is very green and will turn the rag green. If it's truly clear and oily then it could be brake fluid.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Sounds like pentosin. But Wipe it up with a clean white rag. Pentosin is very green and will turn the rag green. If it's truly clear and oily then it could be brake fluid.
I think it is pentosin because I checked the level and it was low. I will wipe it up and let you know

Old 04-25-2015, 04:49 PM
Why would it be leaking pentosin ??

Old 04-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
If it is Pentosin, it could just have leaked from the disconnected line from the steering pump after the GT2 slave mod. (See disconnected line in picture) Hopefully, that's it. Check the position of the puddle and see what it lines up with. If it is near the clutch slave and it is Pentosin, all is good - it just leaked from the disconnected line. If it is Pentosin and under the steering pump, it could still be from the disconnected line.

I would suggest a really good clean up of the disconnected stuff, top up the Pentosin, check the clutch fluid level and wait for the next puddle.

If it is brake fluid and the puddle is under the slave, you may have an installation problem with the new slave - check the lines and look for leaks. The clutch fluid reservoir will tell the story there.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:01 PM
If it is Pentosin, it could just have leaked from the disconnected line from the steering pump after the GT2 slave mod. (See disconnected line in picture) Hopefully, that's it. Check the position of the puddle and see what it lines up with. If it is near the clutch slave and it is Pentosin, all is good - it just leaked from the disconnected line. If it is Pentosin and under the steering pump, it could still be from the disconnected line. I would suggest a really good clean up of the disconnected stuff, top up the Pentosin, check the clutch fluid level and wait for the next puddle. If it is brake fluid and the puddle is under the slave, you may have an installation problem with the new slave - check the lines and look for leaks. The clutch fluid reservoir will tell the story there.

Would this also cause the clutch pedal to release 3/4 of the way then pop up?

Old 04-25-2015, 07:05 PM
No - That would be the slave installation problem... Check the clutch fluid level to see if you are missing any. Could just be the line wasn't tightened enough (hopefully) - or the slave may be deffective. Check for leaks there.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:41 PM
No - That would be the slave installation problem... Check the clutch fluid level to see if you are missing any. Could just be the line wasn't tightened enough (hopefully) - or the slave may be deffective. Check for leaks there.
The puddle is on the left rear of the car, which side is the slave on and where is the steering pump located?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:37 PM
The slave is under the rear of the passenger seat (on the transmission). The power steering pump is in your picture (#3) where the disconnected hydraulic line is.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Left rear sounds like coolant - Could be the water pump. What is your coolant level like? That fluid would be pink and smells nice - sweet.

Edit: From the picture it looks like the right side - under the power steering pump...

Old 04-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Left rear sounds like coolant - Could be the water pump. What is your coolant level like? That fluid would be pink and smells nice - sweet. Edit: From the picture it looks like the right side - under the power steering pump...
coolant level is good

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Urgent leaking