997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Anyone running Bilstein B8 shocks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 12:55 PM
MONKY LONDON will become famous soon enoughMONKY LONDON will become famous soon enough
Anyone running Bilstein B8 shocks?

Hi all,

Is anyone running Bilstein B8 Dampatronic shorter shocks with lowering springs? These are the fixed height struts, not the B16 Dampatronic coilovers. For a 2010 Gen 2 Turbo.

If so feedback would be great, which springs you have, how it rides on bad roads, if you track your car etc.

I'm considering B8's, H&R or Eibach lowering springs & H&R antiroll bars front and rear for my Gen 2 Turbo. Wondering which spring rates match the dampers best, H&R looks best drop wise, but still want some compliance on the roads. If not too bad will go for these.

Not a fan of the stock suspension or arch gap.

Thanks for any help.

M

Old 05-15-2015, 03:14 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Great choice. Basically porsche motorsports designed these to be the x73 for the 997 platform, when vw took over in full this was scuttled along with a lot of projects.
It's a great option, better than damntronics IMHO. Ride great on the street and handle well on the track.
Gmg springs are great with these.

Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't run these, but they are interesting. Thanks for posting.

What is the suggested replacement interval for stock damptronic shocks?

Old 05-16-2015, 02:25 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

I'm surprised Bilstein do not recommend springs to go with these. You should speak to Chris at Centre Gravity

Would love a ride if you do go for this set up. Have been looking for a sport set up which controls the mass of a turbo without knocking all my fillings out for ages

Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
I'm curious too.

Looking to get rid of my "Crap-stein" B16 Damptronics, which have now failed 3 times. I'm getting tired of sending them back to Bilstein for repairs.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:24 PM
MONKY LONDON will become famous soon enoughMONKY LONDON will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the replies all. I'm going to speak to Bilstein tomorrow, see if I can get an insight into which spring rates are going to best suit the dampers specs.

From my research on here Eibach seem to be the more compliant of the two on roads using OEM dampers, with some reporting H&R are a little bouncy on poorer surfaces. But the Bilsteins are slightly shorter with different rebound rates so the H&R's could be ideal, maybe I have to be guinea pig lol

@TT Surgeon - re x73, do you know which spring manufacturer they were going to use for this kit?

Obviously we also have Techart (made by Eibach, apparently with slightly differerent specs) or GMG (made by Eibach also?) but both are expensive for me to get here in the UK so ideally, want to stick with the aforementioned brands unless I'm compromising my setup.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:24 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Porsche had their own spring with the x73, it was fairly stiff in the 996 variant.
I think any aftermarket sprung will work well with the b8.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:41 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Porsche had their own spring with the x73, it was fairly stiff in the 996 variant.
I think any aftermarket sprung will work well with the b8.
Hey TT Surgeon, what springs and spring rates are you using?
How would you compare the ride to the B16's - if I recall you were running those and had issues with them?

I've just gone through another very expensive exercise and now believe that the shock is the issue. I'm looking for alternatives, and this is a very viable one.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...placing-4.html

Old 05-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Bloody hell just read your thread what a PITA! I'm about to take the plunge on the B8's, decided to go Eibach spring route and Eibach sways.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by MONKY LONDON
Bloody hell just read your thread what a PITA! I'm about to take the plunge on the B8's, decided to go Eibach spring route and Eibach sways.
Yeah - wouldn't wish it on anyone

Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 AM
TT Surgeon... What toe links did you use with the B8's?

I am running the beefier Tarett ones on my "crap-stine" B'16's. Will those fit or will I have to look for new?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pureporsche
I'm curious too.

Looking to get rid of my "Crap-stein" B16 Damptronics, which have now failed 3 times. I'm getting tired of sending them back to Bilstein for repairs.
Goodness, I know it's frustrating but please see my other post. This is crazy if you continue to follow this road. Failing 3 times implies there is something else going on, possibly with the electronic brain of the car, possibly something else.

Yes you do need to get rid of the "Crap-stein" Damptronics - and do it now IMHO, not just talk about it. I haven't said anything because first I thought you were right it was the shock, but after 3 times, no I don't think so.

The B8 here would be an excellent choice. Regarding the springs for B8: because it is made for aftermarket (AM) lowering springs, the choice is limited to these 3-4 AM springs, and no one knows the spring rates. This is the difference between B8 and B16: B16 use standard linear springs and you could change to whatever rate you like, B8 use progressive lowering springs with unknown rates. There has been argument that linear spring (stiff from very beginning) is more fun than progressive (first soft, then stiff, to make it more street friendly), but some race cars use progressive, so who knows. The other difference is B8 has fixed ride height that is determine by the spring (a rather large 20mm drop that might be too much for some people), whereas B16 has adjustable ride height. (There is a non PASM B16 called B16 PSS10 that is a good alternative for people who don't want PASM.) Regardless, B8 is an excellent idea for your car, IMHO. At least it will eliminate a lot of questions - really trying to help here.

Last edited by cannga; 05-28-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:41 PM
TT Surgeon... What toe links did you use with the B8's?

I am running the beefier Tarett ones on my "crap-stine" B'16's. Will those fit or will I have to look for new?
I used the gmg toes, theirs are based on the gt3cup.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I used the gmg toes, theirs are based on the gt3cup.
I think those are the same length that I use, so the Tarett hopefully should fit. I need to verify this somehow...

Old 05-28-2015, 11:20 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I think those are the same length that I use, so the Tarett hopefully should fit. I need to verify this somehow...
The toe link connects chassis to "subframe" for the wheel, it has nothing to do with the coilover (does not attach to it), so whether you use B8 or B16, or Ohlins, KW, does not affect fitment. (This is a very basic issue that your tech should know immediately.)

Are you using an experienced and Porsche specific tech for your car? If not, I would suggest that you find a replacement before going further. Really, if he is the same person who has replaced the Bilstein 3 times in your car without suggesting a different approach, I would not trust him anymore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone running Bilstein B8 shocks?