997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Worn Suspension Parts, What to Change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 04:57 AM
snsd555 is on a distinguished road
Worn Suspension Parts, What to Change?

hey guys.

i have a 2008 997.1 Turbo that has about 50,000 miles on it. been neglecting it a bit over the past few years so recently i have bought some parts off Pelican Parts (thanks Wes!) to give it a bit of a freshen up and make the car handle and work like new again.

recently i had a PASM error come out and thought that since i was going to have to replace the PASM dampers, i might as well do them all at the same time.

i've heard clunks coming from the front when i go over humps or uneven roads. also, when the road gets bad, there is some sort of rattling/vibrating coming from the rear of the car. i've attributed all these "noises" to just some worn suspension parts.

question i have is, what would you guys recommend i change since i am essentially going to do a overhaul of the suspension? change every single control arm, bushing, etc?

instead of changing the arms, can i get away with just changing the bushing within them? not sure if Pelican Parts of anyone else sells just the bushings alone. i've been using this page but not sure if they have all the parts listed:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...SUSSHK_pg1.htm

do note i am not keen on changing to any aftermarket parts, just Porsche or OEM.

would appreciate any input.

thanks for your time!

Old 05-24-2015, 11:27 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by snsd555
i have a 2008 997.1 Turbo that has about 50,000 miles on it. been neglecting it a bit over the past few years so recently i have bought some parts off Pelican Parts (thanks Wes!) to give it a bit of a freshen up and make the car handle and work like new again.
recently i had a PASM error come out and thought that since i was going to have to replace the PASM dampers, i might as well do them all at the same time.
i've heard clunks coming from the front when i go over humps or uneven roads. also, when the road gets bad, there is some sort of rattling/vibrating coming from the rear of the car. i've attributed all these "noises" to just some worn suspension parts.
question i have is, what would you guys recommend i change since i am essentially going to do a overhaul of the suspension? change every single control arm, bushing, etc?
instead of changing the arms, can i get away with just changing the bushing within them? not sure if Pelican Parts of anyone else sells just the bushings alone.

Absolutely NOT IMHO. What you need is a competent and experienced tech (from dealer is fine) to drive your car and tell you whether the clunks and rattling are abnormal findings. Old cars could have some rattlings - the key is to find out whether that is "normal" or abnormal, for example something is loose.

The car needs to go on a lift for a general inspection of its suspension, again by a competent and experienced tech. The bushings, joints, etc., in the stock Turbo, in general, last a lot more than 50k (mine is at 55K and is fine) even with aggressive driving.

Question for you: your car has stock suspension? Have you recently added any suspension parts? Have they told you why the PASM is malfunctioning?

Last edited by cannga; 05-24-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Clunking could be coming from the diagonal link (Part # 997-341-043-00). Good way to test it is to drive over the little dots on the road and see if you hear any clunking. Make sure the pads on the shocks are not leaking as well as I have seen some of those go bad as well. Definitely get under the car and check out your suspension components to see if they look a bit worn. If you're a DIY guy and feel you can do the job, then go for it.

We do sell Powerflex Polyurethane Control Arm Bushings if you're looking to go with something other than OEM. Another option would be to upgrade to GT3 style control arms with camber adjustment shims. A factory Porsche part, but very expensive upgrade. It allows you to dial in a bit of a wider track while you dial in more negative camber.

Let me know if you need any assistance!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST