997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Track Day with the 997.2 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I feel like you could have charged it just a weee bit harder....lol

Just kidding... first few times on a road course can be kinda scary until you slowly start to push yourself and get comfortable with the car's limits in the corners. Trust the car...you'll be surprised what it can do.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:49 AM
snaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to beholdsnaketits is a splendid one to behold
gave me a boner adam thanks.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
As usual Adam! And your lines are pretty nice considering all that mid-range kick and you have to work around several cars every time you point and shoot!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:47 AM
SDCLTD is on a distinguished road
Longboarder:
- Did you have a transponder from Speed Ventures? [I didn't see your times posted on their web site.]
- Alternatively, did you use your own timer?
- If so, what were your Lap Times?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:17 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SDCLTD
Longboarder:
- Did you have a transponder from Speed Ventures? [I didn't see your times posted on their web site.]
- Alternatively, did you use your own timer?
- If so, what were your Lap Times?
I didn't get a transponder actually (and never do as a practice) because it's not allowed for some track day insurance groups like Katz. Maybe Lockton allows them but I haven't checked. I do have a VBox but I didn't look at my lap times or any of my data for that day. Just watching the video was painful enough lol I'm going to study it and prepare for the next time I go as I took a lot of the turns wrong. Also need to stop being a wuss and get on the throttle earlier. What I really need to do is go with the guys at BBI and get some real instruction.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:42 AM
SDCLTD is on a distinguished road
You & I have [almost] identically equipped cars - which is why I was inquiring about the track times. I've ran a 01:49 ......... and a couple of the laps you made 'indicated' you were running 'Sub 02:00 or better. As a prior post indicated, you had some pretty good lines. We also use some of the same shops in OC.

One of these days, we'll be at the track on the same day. I missed Bakersfield due to the car being the shop, and I'm most frequently running @ Fontana.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:31 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SDCLTD
You & I have [almost] identically equipped cars - which is why I was inquiring about the track times. I've ran a 01:49 ......... and a couple of the laps you made 'indicated' you were running 'Sub 02:00 or better. As a prior post indicated, you had some pretty good lines. We also use some of the same shops in OC.

One of these days, we'll be at the track on the same day. I missed Bakersfield due to the car being the shop, and I'm most frequently running @ Fontana.
Cool look forward to seeing you out at an event!

Frankly I was going a bit faster the first time I went a year ago with BMW CCA and BMW had the track include 1) the additional "kink" which is a huge momentum killer out of turn 6 I think which kills like 2-3 seconds and 2) had us "funnel" down away from the wall using cones for turn 1 which drops another 1-2 second and I went sub 2's on the VBox and it got 104 degrees that day.

At this event I was turning similar or worse times with the normal configuration without the kink and without the funnel and maybe 10 degrees cooler. So on an equivalent basis I was at least 5-8 seconds slower

The big difference is that I was running 22psi mid range the first event and now I'm at 30psi. The additional power is incredible for straight line events but is slowing me down a lot because the additional TQ makes the acceleration rather violent in the mid range and I need to work on throttle management to avoid upsetting the car.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM
ET777 is on a distinguished road
Very nice video !

I have also a 997.2TTS and last track day i entered with the sticker pressure was for the first lap on PS tires.
Than i took some air our and left it on 28F 32R cold and it was a huge change.

But my concern was with the brakes i did like 15-17 min of driving and i had to push the brake pedal to the front radiator in order to brake.
Is this normal?
Maybe was the brake fluid?

Old 08-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by ET777
Very nice video !

I have also a 997.2TTS and last track day i entered with the sticker pressure was for the first lap on PS tires.
Than i took some air our and left it on 28F 32R cold and it was a huge change.

But my concern was with the brakes i did like 15-17 min of driving and i had to push the brake pedal to the front radiator in order to brake.
Is this normal?
Maybe was the brake fluid?
That doesn't sound normal and certainly didn't happen to me during multiple 30-minute sessions on a day that was over 100 degreed F. I would say your brake fluid needs to be flushed and pads checked. The carbon ceramic brakes are beyond incredible.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:30 PM
ET777 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by longboarder
That doesn't sound normal and certainly didn't happen to me during multiple 30-minute sessions on a day that was over 100 degreed F. I would say your brake fluid needs to be flushed and pads checked. The carbon ceramic brakes are beyond incredible.
Yeah i thought so.
Thanks

Old 08-27-2015, 04:19 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !

Great video. Your car is incredibly fast on the straights. I saw you were not pushing the car to the max on the turns which makes sense given the boost. It did look like you could have gotten on the gas a little earlier coming out of some of the turns but with that much power of course You need to be careful.

In the straights it literally looks like the other cars were not moving

Old 08-27-2015, 05:43 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Nice video Adam! I haven't been able to get out myself (work), looked like fun. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by sdg1871
Great video. Your car is incredibly fast on the straights. I saw you were not pushing the car to the max on the turns which makes sense given the boost. It did look like you could have gotten on the gas a little earlier coming out of some of the turns but with that much power of course You need to be careful.

In the straights it literally looks like the other cars were not moving
Have you tried that track yet with your 991? That's likely the place where the 991 shines mightily over the 997.2.

I really need to dial down boost in the midrange to get more comfortable in the corners.

Originally Posted by akunob
Nice video Adam! I haven't been able to get out myself (work), looked like fun. Thanks for sharing.
I know what you mean...but I just look ahead a few months and put something on my calendar and cross fingers. I don't have any future events in mind but I'll start looking. Just dropped my car off at BBI for my post-tracking inspection of brakes and suspension so she will be ready for the next one.

Hope you can get out soon too!

Old 08-28-2015, 11:40 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !

Originally Posted by longboarder
Have you tried that track yet with your 991? That's likely the place where the 991 shines mightily over the 997.2.

I really need to dial down boost in the midrange to get more comfortable in the corners. I know what you mean...but I just look ahead a few months and put something on my calendar and cross fingers. I don't have any future events in mind but I'll start looking. Just dropped my car off at BBI for my post-tracking inspection of brakes and suspension so she will be ready for the next one.

Hope you can get out soon too!
Yes I tracked my 991 TTS at Circuit of the Americas. It was just fantastic. Outstanding in both corners and straights. Passed so many other cars. The car was in its elements. But it is nowhere near as powerful as yours (stock ICs and no water/meth and nowhere near 30 psi)

Old 08-29-2015, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yes I tracked my 991 TTS at Circuit of the Americas. It was just fantastic. Outstanding in both corners and straights. Passed so many other cars. The car was in its elements. But it is nowhere near as powerful as yours (stock ICs and no water/meth and nowhere near 30 psi)

Yes I remember now. So jealous!! COTA looks like an incredible track. Drooling when watching F1. I bet you had an absolute blast out there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Day with the 997.2 Turbo S