997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Track Day with the 997.2 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:01 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Track Day with the 997.2 Turbo S

This is a long vid (20 min) of my afternoon track session this past Sunday at Auto Club Speedway. Laps 1 and 2 are just warm up to get the tires heated up (fast forward to the 5 minute mark unless you are just bored lol). I had to run -10 psi to start in order to end at 36F/44R. I'm in the Open Passing Run Group.

The thing is...this car is downright scary in the corners so I'm going really really slow. I'm sure with stock power I would be much more comfortable and sadly probably faster. But with 30 pounds of boost in the mid-range I have to be sooo throttle sensitive that if I give even slightly too much throttle in the corners I'm in for a scary ride. On snap oversteer I can "catch" my M3...can't do it in this car.

So I'm pretty much not even accelerating in the corners. Just cruising through them and then unleashing fury only when the car is pointed completely straight.

This car needs a pro driver. But for now it's got me.

Last edited by longboarder; 06-15-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:33 AM
mike810 is on a distinguished road
Awesome, I need to check this place out one day. I live like 15 minutes away lol.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:00 AM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Looked fun! Your car on the straights make those cars look like they were just out for a Sunday drive .

Old 06-16-2015, 07:45 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for sharing the great vid Adam. Did you try switching the tune back to stock?

Old 06-16-2015, 11:40 AM
NephroC4S is on a distinguished road
Great vid! Curious about how fast you got up to on the main straight. You were flying! Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:19 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Cool video. your hot tire pressures are high in the rear. You should target 34/36 both front/rear.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:34 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mike810
Awesome, I need to check this place out one day. I live like 15 minutes away lol.
Of course you should!!!!!

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Looked fun! Your car on the straights make those cars look like they were just out for a Sunday drive .

Originally Posted by Stage7
Thanks for sharing the great vid Adam. Did you try switching the tune back to stock?
Good question. My current tune only has a Pump and Race mode. Boost profile is the same for both tunes but Pump runs less timing. Although with the 100% meth I'm running a little more timing then if I was just straight pump 91 octane gas.

Originally Posted by NephroC4S
Great vid! Curious about how fast you got up to on the main straight. You were flying! Thanks for sharing.
I didn't even turn my vBox on so I don't know for sure but looking at the speedo on the first two laps maybe 150mph on the straight and the long turn at 115mph but then as the tires got more pressure I was maxing out at 170mph before I hit the brakes to enter the long curve and took the turn at 120-125mph. I'm convinced a better driver could have taken the curve at 145+.

Originally Posted by eurotom
Cool video. your hot tire pressures are high in the rear. You should target 34/36 both front/rear.
Interesting. Since I have stock tire size I was going off the F/R tire pressure recommendation in the door sticker. I asked a few of the Porsche guys and that's what they were doing as well...although they were GT3's so their door pressure stickers were different than mine. Where are you seeing that 36R hot is better than 44? Thx.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:54 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
The door sticker refers to the recommended pressure for street driving with a fully loaded car, meaning passengers luggage etc. For normal use or Partial load 33/39 on is what is recommended by Porsche.

36 target for hot temps is not in any manual rather my personal experience and many others who track their cars. For me anything above 36 hot gets greasy.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed! I have found 32 front/35 rear hot to work best at the track with PS2's, RE-11's and R888's on my 997.1. Start at ~26f ~29r, give them a couple of laps to warm, then bleed down after each session. You'll be amazed how much better they stick. A 10 psi gain is pretty typical. Anything over 40 psi gets very greasy and the tires really need to cool overnight in order to recover. This season I'm going to run the Sport Cup 2's at similar pressures but will go with a nitrogen fill to avoid most of the intraday adjustments, I hope.

If you're driving on them back home, fill them to 45-50 psi before leaving the track and the tpms idiot lights will reset after driving for awhile. Then reset pressures for street use next morning after the tires have cooled and temps stabilized. Hope that helps.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:41 PM
MONKY LONDON will become famous soon enoughMONKY LONDON will become famous soon enough
Question

So 32/35 thereabouts hot and we should be good? I'm about to take my 911 on track, running Cup Sport 2.

When in sport mode, how much bias does the 4wd give to rear, I read 80%? See if I can do some skids

Thanks for sharing OP, I liked your video. Car goes very well indeed, how much power you running circa?

Old 06-16-2015, 06:03 PM
The door sticker refers to the recommended pressure for street driving with a fully loaded car, meaning passengers luggage etc. For normal use or Partial load 33/39 on is what is recommended by Porsche.

36 target for hot temps is not in any manual rather my personal experience and many others who track their cars. For me anything above 36 hot gets greasy.
Ok got it thanks. This is probably why cornering was so difficult for me. The combination of slippery rear tires and a scary turbo spool was tough to manage.

Originally Posted by Steamboat
Agreed! I have found 32 front/35 rear hot to work best at the track with PS2's, RE-11's and R888's on my 997.1. Start at ~26f ~29r, give them a couple of laps to warm, then bleed down after each session. You'll be amazed how much better they stick. A 10 psi gain is pretty typical. Anything over 40 psi gets very greasy and the tires really need to cool overnight in order to recover. This season I'm going to run the Sport Cup 2's at similar pressures but will go with a nitrogen fill to avoid most of the intraday adjustments, I hope.

If you're driving on them back home, fill them to 45-50 psi before leaving the track and the tpms idiot lights will reset after driving for awhile. Then reset pressures for street use next morning after the tires have cooled and temps stabilized. Hope that helps.
Excellent thanks I'll def start a bit lower in both the F and R.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by MONKY LONDON
So 32/35 thereabouts hot and we should be good? I'm about to take my 911 on track, running Cup Sport 2.

When in sport mode, how much bias does the 4wd give to rear, I read 80%? See if I can do some skids

Thanks for sharing OP, I liked your video. Car goes very well indeed, how much power you running circa?
Maybe around 700 HP and 750 TQ on pump gas plus methanol.

This car is quite fun at the track you will love it!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:57 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Nice runs Longborder. You lines got better with every lap.

I think you now have a new challenge vrs. the 1/4 mi competitions you have accomplished. Think of all the chair time you got running your car here vrs, 1/4 mi events.

The track I run at doesn't have the straight's you do so, I could never use 700HP at it. 600HP crank seems to be plenty.

Suspension and driving patience's will be on you list soon.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Great video as always bro. Looks like a bunch of fun. I'd be worried about smoking my brakes though, so I'll live through your youtube channel

Old 06-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like you're having fun with it at least! I'm sure with more track days under your belt with this car you'll get more comfortable with its power. You seem to handle it well nonetheless. Been to auto club a few times, but have yet to make it on the track. Doing some speed ventures stuff soon as well! Maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Day with the 997.2 Turbo S