997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:33 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
Michelin Pilot Super Sport

I need a set of rears (305/30/19) can anyone find a set for me?

Old 06-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Cscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of light
Got mine from Tire Rack. Nice grip and long lasting. Have them on the Masi and GTR as well. I've also used Potenza S04 in that size on the Turbo S and liked them too, but didn't last nearly as long.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drsullivan
I need a set of rears (305/30/19) can anyone find a set for me?
They are on national backorder. I have been trying to get a set since April.

I finally gave up and bought some S04 Pole Positions for the rear and left my Super Sports up front, that was a horribly bad idea. I nearly killed myself going sideways the first time I hit boost. The interaction between different sidewall stiffness front to rear made the car dangerous.

My best advice is either wait for them to come off backorder, in which case they are 30+ days out, or just buy the S04's from Tire Rack. They are roughly $800 for the set of 4 and appear to be the best alternative.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
Michelin has been screwing with us for many months-if you need 20's like I do you have very few choices. As it stands now I'm looking at smaller width Pirelli's

Old 06-25-2015, 02:02 PM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
Same here in Europe, impossible to find rear 305/30/19 Supersports, I ordered them march and they still haven't left factory :s

Old 06-25-2015, 02:18 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wirx
Same here in Europe, impossible to find rear 305/30/19 Supersports, I ordered them march and they still haven't left factory :s
I'm really impressed with the S04 Pole Position, and for the price you can't beat it. Tire Rack has them on special right now for considerably less than the Super Sport. Just don't try to mix them front/back like I did or you'll have a bad time .

Old 06-25-2015, 03:18 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Wow I have an extra set of centerlocks with PSS sounds like now is the time to sell lol

Old 06-25-2015, 04:33 PM
sshu930 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rix
I'm really impressed with the S04 Pole Position, and for the price you can't beat it. Tire Rack has them on special right now for considerably less than the Super Sport. Just don't try to mix them front/back like I did or you'll have a bad time .
What about the S04's have impressed you? How is the noise lvl with the S04's? How long have you had them on your car for?

Old 06-25-2015, 04:46 PM
rix
Originally Posted by sshu930
What about the S04's have impressed you? How is the noise lvl with the S04's? How long have you had them on your car for?
I've had them on the car for about a week. I'm not a hardcore road course driver, but I am a bit of a hardcore street driver .

The sidewall seems a bit stiffer on the S04, they turn in really sharp. Dry traction is about the same as the Pilot Super Sport as near as I can tell. My car tends to walk around a bit under full throttle in 3rd / 4th gears and on the Super Sports it could get a bit exciting. On the S04 I felt like I had a little more control.

They are a little quieter than the Super Sport too. I was surprised how much I liked them, given that I was totally a Super Sport snob before trying them out.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:29 AM
ViSoR is a jewel in the roughViSoR is a jewel in the roughViSoR is a jewel in the roughViSoR is a jewel in the rough
Looks like I'm lucky my Turbo came with good thread left on the rear Super Sports!

I'm really torn on what to do with affermarket wheels since the 20"
tires are so rare as well! Now even the stock sizes are rare. Should we do a petition across all forums who need these sizes and send to Michelin? lol

Old 06-26-2015, 06:08 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Check your dealer. I got a nail and replaced the tire. had hard time finding one but the dealer had tons of stock. Had the tire insurance and they covered it. Tire was about 90 bucks over tire rack but that included installation.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 AM
IbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rix
They are on national backorder. I have been trying to get a set since April.

I finally gave up and bought some S04 Pole Positions for the rear and left my Super Sports up front, that was a horribly bad idea. I nearly killed myself going sideways the first time I hit boost. The interaction between different sidewall stiffness front to rear made the car dangerous.

My best advice is either wait for them to come off backorder, in which case they are 30+ days out, or just buy the S04's from Tire Rack. They are roughly $800 for the set of 4 and appear to be the best alternative.
wow glad I didn't try that, almost exactly what I was going to do. 305's are non-existent, only place to find one if you're lucky is a shop somewhere in their dust bin or on ebay. I found two on ebay from different sellers that had 9/10 thread left. Got a good deal on them. One had a puncture sealed properly from the inside and the sellers feedback was great so hopefully everything works out. Hopefully putting them on my car in a week or so. But got both for a total of around $550

Originally Posted by longboarder
Wow I have an extra set of centerlocks with PSS sounds like now is the time to sell lol
Would have bought them

Old 06-26-2015, 10:09 AM
IbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by JSF721
Check your dealer. I got a nail and replaced the tire. had hard time finding one but the dealer had tons of stock. Had the tire insurance and they covered it. Tire was about 90 bucks over tire rack but that included installation.
MPSS are not the Porsche recommended tire so they don't stock them at dealers. They use Pirelli i believe.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 AM
rix
Local dealer here recommends PSS - the OE tire was the PS2 (the predecessor to the PSS) I believe.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:59 PM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by rix
I've had them on the car for about a week. I'm not a hardcore road course driver, but I am a bit of a hardcore street driver .

The sidewall seems a bit stiffer on the S04, they turn in really sharp. Dry traction is about the same as the Pilot Super Sport as near as I can tell. My car tends to walk around a bit under full throttle in 3rd / 4th gears and on the Super Sports it could get a bit exciting. On the S04 I felt like I had a little more control.

They are a little quieter than the Super Sport too. I was surprised how much I liked them, given that I was totally a Super Sport snob before trying them out.

Are you sure you are not comparing worn out PSS vs fresh S04?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport