997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2008 997tt Grey/Grey resale concern?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 12:01 PM
drivingon9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Goldduster
If you're going with PDK, don't bother paying for a TT. Go with a C4S or lower!! Why get a performance car and then take the control and performance out of it.
Ummm.. There's just all sorts of wrong with this statement.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:57 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
If you're going with PDK, don't bother paying for a TT. Go with a C4S or lower!! Why get a performance car and then take the control and performance out of it.
I read this 3 times...I know English is my 2nd language, but I still can't figure out what it is that you are trying to say...

Old 06-29-2015, 02:05 PM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I read this 3 times...I know English is my 2nd language, but I still can't figure out what it is that you are trying to say...
LOL. Pretty puzzling I agree.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:05 PM
Goldduster is on a distinguished road
Well, I don't think there is any way I'm going to win this one. So how about this; I really enjoy the performance and control I have with my MT TT.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:09 AM
Rodbuster is on a distinguished road
Well, I don't think there is any way I'm going to win this one. So how about this; I really enjoy the performance and control I have with my MT TT.
The 6 speed manual is the way to go in my opinion. It is more involving.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold

its a 6spd and what planet are you on? The tip and PDK have way more performance numbers than the 6sp. Transmission control might be secondary to some as opposed to 10.664 1/4 on a tip with a tune. And the car isnt even built for that.

The PDK is even faster. More involving? Be a real purist and have a hand crank starter as well, now that is more involving. Moving a gear lever is not all its cracked up to be. Heel/ toe is fun but on a track.

Last edited by Squat; 07-01-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Squat
its a 6spd and what planet are you on? The tip and PDK have way more performance numbers than the 6sp. Transmission control might be secondary to some as opposed to 10.664 1/4 on a tip with a tune. And the car isnt even built for that.

The PDK is even faster. More involving? Be a real purist and have a hand crank starter as well, now that is more involving. Moving a gear lever is not all its cracked up to be. Heel/ toe is fun but on a track.
You do realize that if you attempt to do the quarter mile in 10.664 on the street, you are just asking for trouble? Most people drive their cars on the street, and not on a dragstrip, there is so much more to the driving experience than that.

And what car can you buy that is currently made with a hand crank starter?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Rodbuster
You do realize that if you attempt to do the quarter mile in 10.664 on the street, you are just asking for trouble? Most people drive their cars on the street, and not on a dragstrip, there is so much more to the driving experience than that.

And what car can you buy that is currently made with a hand crank starter?
Actually its easy. rev to 2800 with the brake on and stand on it, you might not get 10.664 but you will be destroying the manual. I sling my rear out everytime I want and I enjoy the experience of the "auto" as much as a 6 speed.
The point is everyone with a 6 speed throws the " involving experience" as the reason. Thats fine. I like the involvement of the forces at work on the car in the corners and the terrible autos that porsche has made allow me to do that. I fly as well. No way am I rolling out in a wright flyer for the experience. I am gonna use what gives me the performance I need.

Anyways I do think a gray gray car is a problem but not as bad as a chocolate cab in any color. I think people on the gray fence would go black black. At least what I am seeing. There is an A$$ for every seat though and a lot of those people will pay the extra for that car.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Actually its easy. rev to 2800 with the brake on and stand on it, you might not get 10.664 but you will be destroying the manual. I sling my rear out everytime I want and I enjoy the experience of the "auto" as much as a 6 speed.
The point is everyone with a 6 speed throws the " involving experience" as the reason. Thats fine. I like the involvement of the forces at work on the car in the corners and the terrible autos that porsche has made allow me to do that. I fly as well. No way am I rolling out in a wright flyer for the experience. I am gonna use what gives me the performance I need.

Anyways I do think a gray gray car is a problem but not as bad as a chocolate cab in any color. I think people on the gray fence would go black black. At least what I am seeing. There is an A$$ for every seat though and a lot of those people will pay the extra for that car.
So are you saying that you drive on the street in that manner? If so, It seems to me that you would be asking for trouble.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Rodbuster
So are you saying that you drive on the street in that manner? If so, It seems to me that you would be asking for trouble.
Long straights where I live with no cars you can try it. Of course I wouldnt go 10/10ths with people at risk. I say the same thing you said to guys buying a suspension when the car hasnt even driven past a track.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:46 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
I had three 997TT 6speeds over the last 7 years and went from a 07 Red/Terracotta/Black TT 6sp to a Atlas Gray/Natural Gray TT PDK. Gray is a great color that never really goes out of style. I never would have bought a tip, just seemed like garbage with those stupid shift buttons on the wheel. Tip are already getting a big hit in resale compared to a 6sp or PDK. Wondered by Porsche had never done what Ferrari had done with their F1 trans and the paddle shifters. But when Porsche went to the paddle sift PDK I was sold and will probably never buy a manual shift 911 ever again unless it is a 993 or 964. I think the cars are so quick that the PDK makes sense and shifting on the paddles is as fun as doing it by hand and foot.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:24 AM
So you have zero experience in a Tip yet know all the garbage piece of it. COOL. Thank goodness he isnt looking at a tip!!!!
I too would read someones opinion on a message board who never owned something and gives advice based on resale value of a car. I mean isnt that what hedge fund managers do? Go on message boards to get their advice? Oh wait

I have a much fun in my tip on a drivers education course than I did in my BMW M's even the ones with their " throwback" suspensions. Also nice not counting the clutch life miles down on the straights, as its only time you arent burning it up. The consistency of the performance of the "inferior on message boards but superior in real life" tips makes you be a better driver which equates to more fun. I'm not a factory driver so I will take my fun that makes me better every day.

Last edited by Squat; 07-04-2015 at 09:26 AM. Reason: edited corners for straights
Old 07-04-2015, 09:37 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
So you have zero experience in a Tip yet know all the garbage piece of it. COOL. Thank goodness he isnt looking at a tip!!!!
I too would read someones opinion on a message board who never owned something and gives advice based on resale value of a car. I mean isnt that what hedge fund managers do? Go on message boards to get their advice? Oh wait

I have a much fun in my tip on a drivers education course than I did in my BMW M's even the ones with their " throwback" suspensions. Also nice not counting the clutch life miles down in the corners. The consistency of the performance of the "inferior on message boards but superior in real life" tips makes you be a better driver which equates to more fun. I'm not a factory driver so I will take my fun that makes me better every day.

Didn't say I have zero experience in a tip, I currently own a Cayenne S, my second with the tip. Great in a truck but garbage compared to a PDK. I probably have used the shift buttons on my Cayenne as many times as I have used the button on the back of the wheel to turn off the steering wheel lights. I have driven all 911 models with the tip since it came out in the 964. They sucked compared to a manual up until the PDK came out and that is why I did not waste my money on one in a 911.

Last edited by 90sundevil; 07-04-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:18 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 90sundevil
Didn't say I have zero experience in a tip, I currently own a Cayenne S, my second with the tip. Great in a truck but garbage compared to a PDK. I probably have used the shift buttons on my Cayenne as many times as I have used the button on the back of the wheel to turn off the steering wheel lights. I have driven all 911 models with the tip since it came out in the 964. They sucked compared to a manual up until the PDK came out and that is why I did not waste my money on one in a 911.
Well...I have a Cayenne Tip, Boxster S 6 speed short shifter, and 997 TT Tip....So in my opinion and experience...Agree Tip is nice in the Cayenne...though I DO use the shift buttons a lot. Boxster S modded and tuned is fun to shift and pretty fast. MyTurbo with Tip is fast as sh@t, and can beat pretty much anything. There is no way I could shift a manual as fast...

So I do not think it is "garbage", and think that is a bit harsh to describe it. I would definitely prefer paddles....and a PDK box for sure. But my Tip does the trick! Especially in Sport mode shifting manually and starting in first gear. I honestly would not want a manual in this car...but to each his own.

I am also not touchy about others with different opinions about it...don't really care what others want...This one is mine and I like it:-)...If I ever sell it...I am sure there will be someone like me that will prefer it over 6MT...if not...I get to keep it...

All just opinions...

DC

Old 07-04-2015, 02:58 PM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by therock88
Well...I have a Cayenne Tip, Boxster S 6 speed short shifter, and 997 TT Tip....So in my opinion and experience...Agree Tip is nice in the Cayenne...though I DO use the shift buttons a lot. Boxster S modded and tuned is fun to shift and pretty fast. MyTurbo with Tip is fast as sh@t, and can beat pretty much anything. There is no way I could shift a manual as fast...

So I do not think it is "garbage", and think that is a bit harsh to describe it. I would definitely prefer paddles....and a PDK box for sure. But my Tip does the trick! Especially in Sport mode shifting manually and starting in first gear. I honestly would not want a manual in this car...but to each his own.

I am also not touchy about others with different opinions about it...don't really care what others want...This one is mine and I like it:-)...If I ever sell it...I am sure there will be someone like me that will prefer it over 6MT...if not...I get to keep it...

All just opinions...

DC
DC, we really seem to think alike.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 997tt Grey/Grey resale concern?