997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo help for 997 GT2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:36 PM
GTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to behold
Turbo help for 997 GT2

Guys,

I need some guidance! I have a 997 GT2 and already have CMS Intercoolers, CMS Carbon Intake pipes, IPD 82mm and GT3 Throttle body as well as a ERP Triple carbon clutch.

Question is, what turbo setup would you go? I want to keep the motor stock for the time being as I am unsure how long I want to keep the car.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:56 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
What is your driving style?

Do you Track the car or Casual street drive it?

Old 07-08-2015, 03:36 AM
GTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to behold
Mainly street driving.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:57 AM
SaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really nice
Originally Posted by GTRETA
Guys,

I need some guidance! I have a 997 GT2 and already have CMS Intercoolers, CMS Carbon Intake pipes, IPD 82mm and GT3 Throttle body as well as a ERP Triple carbon clutch.

Question is, what turbo setup would you go? I want to keep the motor stock for the time being as I am unsure how long I want to keep the car.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Curious, have you any dyno results from stock to current with above mods?

Old 07-08-2015, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by SaintGT2
Curious, have you any dyno results from stock to current with above mods?
I also have a Cobb tune. On a dynodynamics we got 434 rwhp

Old 07-08-2015, 07:38 AM
SaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really nice
I also have a Cobb tune. On a dynodynamics we got 434 rwhp
So Stock 434, what about after bolt ons and tune. Thinking of going the same route as you.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:39 AM
roncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond repute
Turbo help for 997 GT2

I'm not sure I'd do any turbo upgrade. I'd first install injectors and run e85. I would also swap the turbo inlet pipes. Crank the boost up a bit and see where that puts you.

If your set on upgrading turbos I'd stick with VTG as you mentioned returning it back to stock. The 65mm turbos from Sam have proven to be a great upgrade. Others might say the 68mm I'm just not sure the added cost equates to the performance gain.

Just saw your down under I'm not sure if you have E85 or not sorry if it doesn't apply

Last edited by roncooper; 07-08-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Depends on what your power goals are and how much you are willing to invest in the project. On the 996 i would say Alpha3076 all day but on 997 its so much more work getting those turbos to fit, the oil lines the water lines, exhaust etc etc. I would get some nice billet wheels put into your GT2 cores and that would keep it much simpler, less costly, less hassle.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 07-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Nice start with upgrades.
Did you by chance Dyno before?
Exhaust?

You could also just move to standard turbochargers non-VTG. But for a street car I believe you can get another 100 hp down and keep everything VTG based. It will be potent. 65mm and you'll have a smile! I have a few customers down under and one of them has every generation GT2! Let me know if I can help out!

Cheers,
Sam

Old 07-09-2015, 05:20 AM
That dyno run was with tune, GMG Exhaust and FVD headers only.

From what I know, dynodynamics read very low. Was somewhat disappointing!

Old 07-09-2015, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by roncooper
I'm not sure I'd do any turbo upgrade. I'd first install injectors and run e85. I would also swap the turbo inlet pipes. Crank the boost up a bit and see where that puts you. If your set on upgrading turbos I'd stick with VTG as you mentioned returning it back to stock. The 65mm turbos from Sam have proven to be a great upgrade. Others might say the 68mm I'm just not sure the added cost equates to the performance gain. Just saw your down under I'm not sure if you have E85 or not sorry if it doesn't apply
We do have E85 but there are very limited supplies here. Not that I've looked into properly but not a lot that I've seen.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by SaintGT2
So Stock 434, what about after bolt ons and tune. Thinking of going the same route as you.
That was with tune, headers and exhaust.

I'm getting the clutch and all other parts installed next week. I will dyno and let you know the outcome.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Yes Dyno dynamics will make people shed a tear for sure. They read the lowest. GIAC tuning?

Old 07-09-2015, 04:07 PM
That was with tune, headers and exhaust.

I'm getting the clutch and all other parts installed next week. I will dyno and let you know the outcome.
That would be great. Did you do a stock run on the dyno for a baseline? I hope you have a better experience with your clutch install than I did with my ERP

Old 07-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Given you're not sure how long you're keeping the car I wouldn't suggest going too custom. However, things tend to change with cars when power is added fairly effortlessly

If you've got E85 I'd highly suggest first getting higher flowing injectors on the car and getting an E85 tune. Cobb Accessport comes with an off the shelf map for E85 and your boltons. You can gain 50-80awhp over a pump gas tune with an E85 tune. Also like @prodigymb mentioned, a nice compressor wheel swap on your existing turbo would give you a nice bump as well.

Dzenno@PTF

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo help for 997 GT2