997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT2RS Inspired 997 Turbo build...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:36 AM
isysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomicfan
If i want to convert a gt2 to led headlights i can use dectane or if i want the original porsche ones i need to buy the gt2rs bumper or?

Do i need other things or only the gt2rs bumper?
Well I'd have to say you need to think of resale values if you go down this route. It depends where you are in the world I suppose but in the UK GT2s are going through the roof. If you mod it and then want to sell it will suffer (unless of course you put it back to standard before sale or have a buyer that wants it as it is.)

Dectanes would be the safer route as far as mods go, as they are plug and play. If you want the OEM LEDs you will need an RS bumper unless you had someone alter your current bumper to take them. Not sure if this would be a good way to do it, you might get cracks under the paintwork when the bumper flexes.

You will also need LED light controllers as the OEM lights are not plug and play. Or you can get the lights rewired by an auto electrician which is what happened with my car. However the lights were throwing up errors every time I put it into reverse. And I had to take it back and they fitted larger resistors t stop that happening.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:43 AM
atomicfan is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info.

OK so only dectane or new bumper with porsche lights are the option

Old 11-18-2015, 03:45 AM
isysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the info.

OK so only dectane or new bumper with porsche lights are the option
Yes those would be the options I would consider. If you get an RS bumper you will also need the carbon exhaust surrounds, which can be very expensive. I bought my bumper new but it had these with it luckily. I've seen them for sale for €900 each!

Old 11-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Finishing the Interior

My original plan was to do the interior last. Get the entire exterior done and then move inside. However whilst the car was laid up last winter I decided to remove the rear seats and lay the RS carpets. However once started I couldn’t stop myself from going the whole hog.

Seats sold, seen here being removed and boxed.

Lowering brackets for carbon bucket seats

New brackets fitted

Cushion with old leather cover

Stripped ready for new cover

As the seats arrived

With Carnewal cushion replacement set fitted

Cluster bought for parts

Finally finished cluster back in the car

Weirdly this plug that fixes the airbag to the car is made by BMW, I had to source a new one as one was missing from my new seats.

Upturned passenger seat showing plug that was missing on driver seat

Plug showing BMW part number (sorry bad photo)

Fitted RS door handles. Ordered parts from Porsche. (these part numbers are for UK, RHD cars)

1 Qty 987-555-352-01-A03 – Door Insert Left
1 Qty 987-555-351-02-A03 – Door Insert Right

1 Qty 987-555-381-00-N13 – Axle Mount Left (latch release w/fabric pull)
1 Qty 987-555-382-00-N13 – Axle Mount Right (latch release w/fabric pull)

1 Qty 987-555-463-00-A03 – Hider Left (cover slot for fabric pull)
1 Qty 987-555-464-00-A03 – Hider Right (cover slot for fabric pull)

2 Qty 999-919-164-09 – Screw 4x30 (secures door pull slot cover)

Removing the old parts to fit the new door handles was a proper ball ache. Getting the door cards off was problematic and I broke a few areas where the plugs to hold the door card on are situated. Luckily DesignLS was able to make repairs. I'm not going to go through the entire fitting procedure but it involved drilling the old parts to get them off as they are melted onto the door card during manufacturing. There is a thread here on rennlist that I followed. I used a soldering iron in place of the torch he mentions. And screwed the new parts into place.

Part that needs to be drilled and heated to remove (top) and new part (bottom)

Complete package required (one side)

Finished door cards back from Design LS

‘Is the interior finished?’ I hear you ask, well There are only two parts left untouched, dash and front carpet! So it’s finished for now… I want the centre and side interior air vents in carbon. I have arranged a price with db-carbon but it’s 4-6 weeks so they will be sent next time I go back to sea. I am also thinking about a rear roll cage. I just love the look even though I’ll probably never take it on track. No decision has been made on that one yet.

The car now looks and feels like a completely different car when I sit in it. I hope you agree it looks fantastic.

Next phase will be the front end. I actually started collecting the parts earlier this year but it’s a big list. I have the entire front bumper assembly including grills and front lip. However the grills are non-carbon so I have to decided how to proceed: carbon dip or custom carbon from DB-Carbon? I’m assured the dip is robust enough not to get stone chips so that might be the way to go. The other thing I have to be certain of is that it matches the other carbon on the car, mainly the carbon bonnet. The carbon bonnet has been ordered from LWS Design (thanks to whomever pointed me in their direction originally). I should get that in the next two weeks. The photos they sent me of one they had just completed looked epic; almost OEM look on the inside, actual OEM look on the outside.

Photo of a customer bonnet recently completed from LWS Design

I will order the carbon front wings, lower winglets along with all the parts to fit the GT2RS middle radiator from Wilmslow OPC. Then I will have the entire front end. I’m hoping the conversion will be done in the spring, as I’ll be away until then. I am really excited to get the front end completed.

I love the interior now. It really feels like an event getting in and out almost like I’m getting in a racing car. Although the new seats are going to take some time figuring out the best way to climb in and out of them!

I could just sit there staring at the interior drinking in all the details. I can’t wait to be able to say the same about the exterior.

LWS Design (Carbon Bonnet) http://www.lwsdesign.co.uk/index.php
A&A Automobiltechnik (Instrument Cluster) http://www.aa-tuning.de
DB-Carbon (carbon air vents) http://www.db-carbon-interior.com
Carnewal (cushion covers) http://www.carnewal.com/
DesignLS (Interior trimming) http://www.designls.co.uk

Old 11-21-2015, 01:15 AM
atomicfan is on a distinguished road
Top Job.

Only the memory buttons for the seats should dissappear.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:39 AM
Top Job.

Only the memory buttons for the seats should dissappear.
I thought about that but it still controls the mirrors. Also to do that the door card would need to come off and I'm not taking them off again!

Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 PM
kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !kbhaw Is a GOD !
beautiful!

Old 11-23-2015, 11:14 PM
GTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to behold
If i want to convert a gt2 to led headlights i can use dectane or if i want the original porsche ones i need to buy the gt2rs bumper or?

Do i need other things or only the gt2rs bumper?
I did this with my GT2, I purchased a OEM GT2RS Bar and LED Lights, I also purchased OEM Carbon Exhaust Surrounds which were more expensive than the bar. However I think it's a night and day difference.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:48 AM
Managed to get the car out of the garage yesterday (it stopped raining long enough) and took these photos. And yes I know my drive is filthy. A tree drops all its leaves onto it and it's a nightmare to keep clean!

Old 11-26-2015, 05:58 AM
omarv6 is a glorious beacon of lightomarv6 is a glorious beacon of lightomarv6 is a glorious beacon of lightomarv6 is a glorious beacon of lightomarv6 is a glorious beacon of lightomarv6 is a glorious beacon of light
One word !
Wow !

Unbelievable work dedication and commitment are clearly shown , love the details in the project .

So are you adding the GT2 rear spoiler ?

Old 11-26-2015, 07:40 AM
roketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really nice
Looks awesome ! Congrats to you! Your workmanship is impressive!
Face it you live in the UK .Do really expect good weather?
Married a Brit (best thing I ever did) and it rained on our wedding day in the UK!

Last edited by roketman; 11-26-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:00 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
You have done an exquisite job so far, loving the interior!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by omarv6
One word !
Wow !

Unbelievable work dedication and commitment are clearly shown , love the details in the project .

So are you adding the GT2 rear spoiler ?
Yes I'm adding the GT2RS decklid. I'm just about to order it actually.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Whole car is amazing - I'd love to do have similar interior. May need to bite the bullet and get some of those DB Carbon GT2 RS look side vents - they really improve the look pf the car - just can't get over the cost.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by roketman
Looks awesome ! Congrats to you! Your workmanship appears to be first rate!
Face it you live in the UK .Do really expect good weather?
I feel your pain my wife is from the midlands and when we go over its hit or miss on the weather.Andof course it rained on our wedding day in the UK!
Haha hey we get good weather sometimes. I just collected my Boxster a couple of weeks ago and the day I collected it the weather was good enough I was able to drop the roof on the drive home!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2RS Inspired 997 Turbo build...