997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT2RS Inspired 997 Turbo build...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 11:26 AM
roketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really nice
Welcome to the club!
If you thinks thats pricey ,Buy a GT3 Cup!

Old 11-27-2015, 03:18 PM
ammo_collector is on a distinguished road
I find it's pretty odd why folks on this thread think my gt2 is a fake. My guess is they have never seen a real one? To be expected I guess.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:22 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ammo_collector
I find it's pretty odd why folks on this thread think my gt2 is a fake. My guess is they have never seen a real one? To be expected I guess.

Id take what people say on forums with a pinch of salt bro.

Many people know everything.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:26 PM
isysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond repute
It was presented to me as a replica (with a single photo). I did point out however that it looked more like a GT2 than a GT2RS. The only thing that threw me was you have added RS winglets and the front lip is also from the RS.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:26 PM
ammo_collector is on a distinguished road
Aftermarket wheels

Originally Posted by isysman
Ah yes I thought it was a GT2, or at least GT2 styling. I don't like those wheels though, they don't suit the car.

I think in the US people tend to put third party wheels on their cars much more than in the UK. I personally think that Porsche's wheels are better than any third party.
It's a GT2 with light GT2RS styling (fender flares to accommodate wider front wheels and tires and front lip).

I went with BBS forged motorsport wheels because they are stronger and lighter than factory. Subjective looks aside, being a Porsche fanboy can make you blind to what is better and what is worse for the car.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:34 PM
isysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond repute
It's a GT2 with light GT2RS styling (fender flares to accommodate wider front wheels and tires and front lip).

I went with BBS forged motorsport wheels because they are stronger and lighter than factory. Subjective looks aside, being a Porsche fanboy can make you blind to what is better and what is worse for the car.
Erm you own a GT2 so you are kind of insulting yourself there. Never been a fan of this phrase 'fanboy' it's a stupid internet name which doesn't really make any sense. If it means I'm a fan of Porsche then it's factually correct. I'm a fan as I own two.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:54 PM
roketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really nice
I think its the front fender flares.Otherwise looks the real deal to me

Old 12-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Last update of 2015

Well it’s been a frustrating wait for some of the latest parts that were ordered in the last couple of months. The first a carbon bonnet ordered from LWS Design arrived today and, I have to say the quality is beyond what I had envisioned. And the phrase I once saw written over the entrance to a restaurant on a cruise ship I worked on years ago came to mind. “Excellence is not perfection, it is better than expected.”

Absolute first class finish

Unfortunately the quality of the finish has been overshadowed by the experience from ordering to receiving. When placing the order the build time was meant to be three weeks. At the 20-day point I emailed them to find out the status of my order, this was on the Monday. On Wednesday having had no reply I sent a further email, and again on Friday, all went unanswered. I called on the Friday as now I was starting to get worried that maybe they had gone out of business. No answer (or voicemail).

The following Monday (day 30) I emailed the personal email address and the main LWS email address and said seeing as I had not received a reply and did not know what was happening I had no choice to contact my credit card to recover the money (Ł1050). At was at this point I received a reply. “Very sorry with delay your bonnet is now complete and is just having the 2k Satin coat applied you will have the bonnet by the weekend or sooner.” Lewis Houben told me. The weekend came and went, still no bonnet. So on the Monday (day 40) I contacted him again. Lewis came back to me again, “The bonnet will be shipped to you Thursday it is ready but we are just fabricating the Brackets.” Another weekend came and went, still no bonnet. By this time I was starting to get nervous as I was due to re-join my vessel at the weekend and I had no more time to wait. So day 50 (Monday) I contacted him and said that if it didn’t arrive this week I was going to have issues. Then today (Thursday) I received another message saying, “The Bonnet is going to be Hand delivered today.” So six and a half weeks after it was ordered it finally arrived. Once it is fitted I have no doubt that I will be completely happy with it and as time passes I’ll think less of this and only about how good it looks. But as a company they really need to get to grips with this part of their business. In the 21st Century there is no excuse for poor communications.

Bonnet has a Satin finish on the exterior section and the interior section is a bare carbon finish which feels and looks very motor sport!

Deck Lid
The other big part ordered was a rear deck lid with spoiler. This part has been the hardest to source. Not that it’s hard to find, a quick look on Teile.com will result in three or four. The problem is the cost; Teile want €10,000 for a complete used deck lid. I had resigned myself to the fact that I would need to spend big bucks on this part, but then I thought I had found a solution. A company in Belgium called Air Cooled Classics were advertising a full carbon deck lid with spoiler for €2,500. I have seen many, many deck lids usually made from glass fibre that never seemed to be good enough quality wise and I didn’t want any of that material on my car. However here was one in carbon fibre. I made contact and asked many questions, about the finish etc. They explained they had them made by a third party company and had received very good feedback from satisfied customers. They also had very good images of what the part looked like and it almost looked OEM. So even though I was a little reluctant I placed the order. Amazingly they said it would only take 10 days to make. And 10 days later the email came through to day it had shipped. They sent three photos but they were small and didn’t really show much. Once it arrived and it was unpacked there were quite a few imperfections on initial inspection. However everything could be sorted in the prep for painting. However when I flipped it over to look at the side where the fan sits, I discovered a major mistake that would mean it would have to be returned. They had made it for a standard Carrera not a Turbo. Immediately thoughts about having to pay shipping back to Belgium and having to deal with it so close to going away was quite stressful.

Part as advertised

Part delivered

Probably damaged in transit

Uneven lip spoiler (should be level to grey spoiler

Scratches on carbon

Wrong lid!

I contacted ACC to tell them about the issue with the photos you can see, and shortly after I received a phone call from Dirk Nelisson. He was not pleased with what had happened and said he’d spoken to them and they had sent me the wrong part which was meant for another customer. He arranged to have it collected and returned to them at no cost to me. He said he would get mine arranged to be sent as soon as it was ready. However I told him I would only accept it after being sent lots of Hi-res images of the completed part. However I’m now thinking about whether or not to just cancel the part and go back to my original plan of buying a genuine part.

Other parts
One other part that arrived (hassle free) was the GT2 centre radiator. I decided to go for an aftermarket, performance part from CSF. that turned out to be actually less expensive then OEM. It was ordered from Design911 through ebay, and it is a quality item.

And finally the Porsche emblem for the bonnet that as you all know on the GT2RS is a sticker was ordered OEM from Porsche. Now I know what yu are going to say, that I am crazy but the cost was… Ł45! For a sticker! I know there are many stickers on ebay and other sites that I am sure are find looking once on but I firmly believe that the devil is in the detail and I wanted to get the genuine item.

Like I mentioned, work awaits and I need to get my game face on so the car has been placed in storage. It has its PJs and slippers on in the garage. The bonnet will have to wait until next time and besides even if I’d had time I don’t want to fit until the entire front end is done anyway. I was hoping to have all the major external bodywork on by the spring but the deck lid is a major setback to that schedule.

Last edited by isysman; 12-18-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Rest of the car is to such a high standard I'd bite the bullet on the deck lid and go OEM. Can DB Carbon or the guys that did your bonnet not fabricate one? Looking forward to seeing finished result - its going to look magnificent. GT2 RS looks like Darth Vaders car in black lol

Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by 9e 28
Rest of the car is to such a high standard I'd bite the bullet on the deck lid and go OEM. Can DB Carbon or the guys that did your bonnet not fabricate one? Looking forward to seeing finished result - its going to look magnificent. GT2 RS looks like Darth Vaders car in black lol
I'll be looking at €10,000 for a used one painted and fitted. I am leaning again towards it. I only decided on this because in the photos it looked so good and I liked the idea of the lightness of the carbon fibre, but I don't think I'll be happy with the finish.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:08 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Looks good & coming along great, i was fortunate enough to find an Oem GT2rs hood at a very reasonable price here on 6 speed & it came in the original crate & all.Your looks very similar even the underneath side ,i also looked at the aftermarket options but was always concerned about the latches & hinges mounting correctly to CF & not flying open at 150 mph , all of the aftermarket ones i looked at mentioned (in the small print)that you had to use hood pins to keep the latched which wasn't gonna work for me.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by twturbo
Looks good & coming along great, i was fortunate enough to find an Oem GT2rs hood at a very reasonable price here on 6 speed & it came in the original crate & all.Your looks very similar even the underneath side ,i also looked at the aftermarket options but was always concerned about the latches & hinges mounting correctly to CF & not flying open at 150 mph , all of the aftermarket ones i looked at mentioned (in the small print)that you had to use hood pins to keep the latched which wasn't gonna work for me.
Oh boy. You know what I was in a car when that happened years ago when I was a teenager and I've had a phobia about them flying open ever since. But it never occurred to me that may be an issue. This one uses all the original latches but I see what you mean about it not being tested at those speeds.

I would have preferred an OEM one but I couldn't find one at a decent price. I looked for two years.

Last edited by isysman; 12-17-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:58 AM
So I've been looking into what you said about companies stating bonnet/hood pins required and I saw a few companies saying that. I think it's a bit sly to put that in small print and yet manufacture the part without the holes. It's just protecting them against any claims.

Anyway I went back to the LWS Design website and on the page it states this: -
"Lightweight replacement bonnets for the Porsche 997 and 987 (911, Cayman and Boxster)

These “Road spec” bonnets are a direct replacement, full replica inside and out, supplied ready to bolt-on. The fit is perfect and they weigh less than half that of the original aluminium item. Available in either:

(A) Fully carbon (5kg)
(B) 'Standard carbon' (carbon fibre outer with a fibreglass inner frame) (6kg)
(C) Fully fibreglass (7kg).

The carbon fibre is finished in a high-gloss clear coat, showing off the 2x2 twill carbon fibre weave. (3k, aerospace grade). Dry carbon is vacuum bagged and resin-infused, to ensure zero air bubbles and the lightest possible part. The bonnet is available with a 'chevron' weave pattern along the centre. or can be supplied without, this is the customers choice.

The fibreglass is finished in a high-gloss black (or white on request)

All of these bonnets can be painted if required.

We also make “Race spec” bonnets with no inner frame structure, intended for racing and track-orientated cars that require bonnet pins to fit. Please call or email for more info."
So I'm reasonably happy with that explination. I'll see how I feel when I'm driving as I often start thinking at 80mph 'Did I close the bonnet properly?', because of what happened when I was young.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:22 AM
I cancelled the order for the deck lid, I'm going to get OEM.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:04 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by isysman
So I've been looking into what you said about companies stating bonnet/hood pins required and I saw a few companies saying that. I think it's a bit sly to put that in small print and yet manufacture the part without the holes. It's just protecting them against any claims.

Anyway I went back to the LWS Design website and on the page it states this: -
"Lightweight replacement bonnets for the Porsche 997 and 987 (911, Cayman and Boxster)

These “Road spec” bonnets are a direct replacement, full replica inside and out, supplied ready to bolt-on. The fit is perfect and they weigh less than half that of the original aluminium item. Available in either:

(A) Fully carbon (5kg)
(B) 'Standard carbon' (carbon fibre outer with a fibreglass inner frame) (6kg)
(C) Fully fibreglass (7kg).

The carbon fibre is finished in a high-gloss clear coat, showing off the 2x2 twill carbon fibre weave. (3k, aerospace grade). Dry carbon is vacuum bagged and resin-infused, to ensure zero air bubbles and the lightest possible part. The bonnet is available with a 'chevron' weave pattern along the centre. or can be supplied without, this is the customers choice.

The fibreglass is finished in a high-gloss black (or white on request)

All of these bonnets can be painted if required.

We also make “Race spec” bonnets with no inner frame structure, intended for racing and track-orientated cars that require bonnet pins to fit. Please call or email for more info."
So I'm reasonably happy with that explination. I'll see how I feel when I'm driving as I often start thinking at 80mph 'Did I close the bonnet properly?', because of what happened when I was young.
I'd be pretty content with that .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2RS Inspired 997 Turbo build...