997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 TT Project in Ashburn garage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by saabin
A little is normal from what I understand.. I had a light film on my left side hose when I did my plugs last winter.. If it drips oil then you may have a leaky turbo..

Plugs and coils are easy from this point..
Leaky turbo from what part of the turbo? . I stuck my finger in the turbo and it was dry. However there seems to have oil from the intake plenum before the throttle body.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:25 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by au2bahn
Had about an hour of garage time before dinner and took off intercooler and hoses. Coils and plugs arrived today but still waiting for thermostat, hoses, belt etc.

I did notice oil on the bottom hose of the intercooler. Anyone know if that's normal?
I had oil in driver side IC, 18months later I had to replace that turbo. Sure the crankcase vent is on the left side of the intake afaik so a thin oil film could be expected but nothing more imo.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:56 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Had some time today to finish off my plugs, coils and thermostat.

Since I was already doing the waterpump, I figured I would do the thermostat as well. What a pain in the A$$.! I was so frustrated, I forgot to take pics of the parts I need to take off to access the inner bolt of the thermostat housing. Upper cam cover had to come off.

Will detail the engine a little then everything goes back on including new Kline exhaust. Will also do the fuel filter while the motor is dropped a little

Last edited by au2bahn; 08-01-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:11 PM
oren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to behold
Had some time today to finish off my plugs, coils and thermostat.

Since I was already doing the waterpump, I figured I would do the thermostat as well. What a pain in the A$$.! I was so frustrated, I forgot to take pics of the parts I need to take off to access the inner bolt of the thermostat housing. Upper cam cover had to come off.

Will detail the engine a little then everything goes back on including new Kline exhaust. Will also do the fuel filter while the motor is dropped a little
Well done,a Very nice write up!
Tried,but Sadly I never succeed to remember to stop and take pictures wail I'm working to make a proper post/DIY...

Actually Me and you are now in a similar boat in life,bra...
like you all my life I fixed and modded all my cars myself..
I too had my first born nine months back,throwing the hobby to crazy weird hours...
Got the coils and plugs in and was planing on doing exactly that last week,But sadly in the rest of my boat theres alot of bad new holes...,i pulled on the right turbo cooling line wrong when tuck turbo out for a inspection and rethreads,and probably killed the fricking infamous rubber elbow to trow me very very deep in the rabbit hole of the metzger.....(will know finally next week with a borescope..)
After that I will probably be doing the works(hobby demon is happy..)with fully dropping down the engine (on a friends lift..),pinning the bad cooling line connections and the sharkwreks elbows (which i already ordered out of aggravation...) and checking everything else is in place...

Ive Done the water pump/thermostat too last year but hope I didn't fry it trying to find the new hole few days back....

Good luck with the rest,and with the new baby..!
Cheers
Oren

Old 08-02-2015, 10:40 AM

Damn Oren. We'll see once I get coolant back in the system and let it build pressure. That's my worse nightmare that I will spring a new leak.

We got the same pattern going on here with kids and cars. Hahha

Old 08-05-2015, 07:59 PM
From earlier this week . Motor back and secured on mounts

New Kline exhaust in and sounds awesome. The quality is superb and the fit is perfect! Thanks to SamboTT@by design for the deal as well as advice for easier install :-). This is the type of service we all need to support our habits. It's like having a personal adviser.

Haven't taken it for a spin yet but will do a review and video. Almost done with detailing last minute stuff then remaining stuff goes back on

Last edited by au2bahn; 08-05-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:14 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future

Dumb question....what does the blue tape help you with?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by turboslut
Dumb question....what does the blue tape help you with?
Just extra precaution on high traffic areas from tools and/or putting stuff back. For example I remove and install the bumper with no help and the sides flap around upon alignment.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Drove the car with major maintenance done plus new Kline exhaust. The sound all the way to redline is exhilarating. Upon start up, it's slightly throatier but when you hit the throttle whether from idle or WOT, it's loud with a very distinct low note. OEM exhaust is very heavy and the Kline weighs like a third of it. I can tell there are performance gains and noticeable better flow. I'm very happy with this purchase. Definitely worth it

Old 08-08-2015, 03:10 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future

This is why I read and participate in forums. Always learning something!

Just extra precaution on high traffic areas from tools and/or putting stuff back. For example I remove and install the bumper with no help and the sides flap around upon alignment.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Great build thread au2bahn!

I see you are all set with your choice of exhaust for your 997 but if you're ever in the market for some high performance wheels and/or aerokits, PM us.

Here at Wheels Boutique we're the world's largest dealer of HRE Wheels, ADV.1 Wheels, and Vorsteiner Aerokits. We'd love to be part of this build in some way shape or fashion. Hope to hear from you soon.

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:17 AM

Thanks good to know. Will definitely keep you guys in mind on my build

Old 09-20-2015, 12:12 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Great pictures! That's a lot of work.

We must be all slightly crazy - we bought cars that it's easier to change the water pump on than it is to change the thermostat .

Old 09-20-2015, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by rix
Great pictures! That's a lot of work. We must be all slightly crazy - we bought cars that it's easier to change the water pump on than it is to change the thermostat .
I totally agree. I decided on the thermostat while i removed the water-pump and added minimum 3 hours to my project. There is just this one bolt that's hard to reach!!! Had to remove cam cover and move lines around. Everything else was straight forward.