997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tire sealant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:54 PM
JBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of light
Tire sealant

Can anyone recommend a good tire sealant?
I'd prefer one that requires using a compressor, since I hear they work better than the aerosol cans.

Used my OEM bottle (to no avail) a couple days ago after hitting the remnants of a wood pallet. Must have been a big puncture, since even the sealant wouldn't hold.

Planning to replace the bottle I used - and wanted to ask if you had any recommendations for fix-a-flat, slime, etc
Thanks,
John

Old 07-31-2015, 08:16 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Slime and the factory fill are about the same. The key is to spin the tire as or once you put the sealant in there. Then start filling the tire with air to force the sealant into the hole. If you know where the hole is then have that side of the tire down as you fill with air. That will also help the sealant in the hole.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:46 AM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by JBurer
Can anyone recommend a good tire sealant?
I'd prefer one that requires using a compressor, since I hear they work better than the aerosol cans.

Used my OEM bottle (to no avail) a couple days ago after hitting the remnants of a wood pallet. Must have been a big puncture, since even the sealant wouldn't hold.

Planning to replace the bottle I used - and wanted to ask if you had any recommendations for fix-a-flat, slime, etc
Thanks,
John
Tire sealant is supposed to allow you to limp to a tire service facility in an emergency. Use should be exclusively in emergencies as it creates a horrible mess on both your tire and your wheel. Its terrible for your tires, your wheels, your wheel balance, your shop. It's bad stuff. Now you want a mix of two different goo's sloshing around in there? Did you check they were chemically compatible? I'm guessing no.

If you punctured your tire, take it to a shop. Get the tire dismounted, the mess cleaned up, and the tire examined and either fixed properly (plug/patch) or replaced.

They are all going to hate you at the shop btw.

http://accuratecars.com/blog/2008/08...of-fix-a-flat/
even fix a flat maker does not recomend for tpms equipped cars.

tire sealant wheel corrosion.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:55 AM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
^^ What he said.
I see that you are in Atlanta. Take it to Discount tire - straight shooters. I would not screw up my wheel and tpms with sealant unless it was an absolute emergency, and then only to get me to a tire shop.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:18 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kwiksilver
^^ What he said.
I see that you are in Atlanta. Take it to Discount tire - straight shooters. I would not screw up my wheel and tpms with sealant unless it was an absolute emergency, and then only to get me to a tire shop.

Agree with all of the above. I would only use it if I was stuck on the side of the road and help was hours away. Flat bed to a tire shop would be my first choice. 2nd friend with a jack and tools. Take just the wheel to tire shop. Last slime the tire.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:54 PM
JBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks guys. Question was solely in relation to a replacement for the container I used if I find myself in another situation where I need it. I ordered a new set of 4 S04's the same evening I got the puncture. Going to have to flatbed the car over to have the tires replaced.

Thanks for the suggestion on tire shop, but I've moved to Austin, TX. 100 degrees out the day I had the puncture... used the sealant hoping I could limp home and avoid waiting for a tow truck. Bummer I wound up doing both!

Old 07-31-2015, 09:58 PM
Boom

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150724_171727.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	425208