997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 TT Engine build Requirements

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 04:06 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr6tee
Sean,
Looks good! Are you selling the pieces or just using it in house?
I spoke with Sean and his 12 mm stud adapters will be available by the end of the month. I'm really glad Sean is entering the Porsche market to keep a bunch of the vendors honest. The Porsche prices are always 2 or 3 times every other cars parts and there is next to no support from them. Where are all the vendors on this thread? Is engine building a secret or do no vendors have any answers?

Old 08-24-2015, 04:12 PM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
It seem the stock pistons are good for 1000rw. Not sure I have read about anybody breaking them at that power level assuming a reasonable tune up.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:43 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jordonmusser
It seem the stock pistons are good for 1000rw. Not sure I have read about anybody breaking them at that power level assuming a reasonable tune up.
I think most people shooting for 1000whp tend to just assume they need new pistons. Not much destructive testing has been done/publicized in the porsche community.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:58 PM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
I have found over years of modding that if the OE component is sufficient for the power level you are better off using it (OE engineering vs aftermarket UNDERneering )

Going to start my build this winter.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:58 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by itguy
I think most people shooting for 1000whp tend to just assume they need new pistons. Not much destructive testing has been done/publicized in the porsche community.
Same type of people that need suspension mods and stickier tires rather than seat time and experience

Kidding.... but also not kidding.

Could also be one of those "while you're in there might as well" situations.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:59 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jordonmusser
I have found over years of modding that if the OE component is sufficient for the power level you are better off using it (OE engineering vs aftermarket UNDERneering )

Going to start my build this winter.
We know the stock pistons are really tough, they've proven to take over 1000 HP in a handful of cars and I've never heard of a piston failure. I'd really like to know their limit.

I'm a big believer of the "while I'm in there" mentality, just not when vendors want $700 per piston. (which is like $5000 Canadian right now) I think when people get over the 1000 HP mark and pull the engine apart for the rods, they just do the pistons/liners while it's apart so maybe no-one has found the limit of the stock piston. The piston can also come out and get coated and put back in. I believe they would hold to 1500 HP.

I've been doing a bunch of research for this engine build and will share what I learn throughout this build. I'll also analyse everything that comes out of the engine which will have been run at around 1000 HP. I don't expect to see any wear on any internals except the rods. I won't be surprised to see some small tweaks in the rods.

So far for head work I've been reading that Todd McKenzie is the guy. I'll give him a shout and see what he wants for a port job and oversized valve cut. If he's fair, I'll ship the head off, if the price seems high, I'll see if I can source the work locally.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
I was thinking of head work down the road, don't think it's in my build budget at the moment. I'm after 1000-1100 awhp. I'll need to beef up the trans, eventually. We'll see if I can get by for a year before moving up to 1200+

Old 08-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by dhahlen
I was thinking of head work down the road, don't think it's in my build budget at the moment. I'm after 1000-1100 awhp. I'll need to beef up the trans, eventually. We'll see if I can get by for a year before moving up to 1200+
Hp is a funny thing I don't "need" more than the 1000 hp I have now but......

I want to build the next iteration to "hold" 2000 hp. It won't have that yet but "while it's apart". I'm planning on seeing what my turbos can make for power when turned up. If I decide I need bigger turbos later, it's an easy swap. 1200 whp would be almost 50% more power than I made now, that's a good start.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
This a great thread and something I would be looking back when it's time for my build....custom cams and rods are the way to go..just got of the phone fron undercover and there in the process of teaming together a set of roads that hold.....2000 hp....seems the carillo are not holding up to advertised numbers.....btw if I wax looking for a street set with 7600 redline what cams am I grinding out...

Old 08-25-2015, 02:02 AM
Banned
Thunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brooklyn boosting
seems the carillo are not holding up to advertised numbers.
Woooow

Old 08-25-2015, 02:24 AM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Thunder915
Woooow
Carillo do have an "off-the-shelf" rod, but you can also order beefed up versions... Branding a carillo rod as insufficient is silly, it's just like head studs, 10mm is good up to a certain point, then you need bigger, same goes for rods.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 AM
Banned
Thunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond repute
Carillo do have an "off-the-shelf" rod, but you can also order beefed up versions... Branding a carillo rod as insufficient is silly, it's just like head studs, 10mm is good up to a certain point, then you need bigger, same goes for rods.
I know Carrillo offer two kind of rods
The better one which come with CRR bolts for higher power

Old 08-25-2015, 07:54 AM
More importantly, what are you doing up at 6 am? haha...

Old 08-25-2015, 08:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Thunder915
I know Carrillo offer two kind of rods
The better one which come with CRR bolts for higher power
those are both considered off the shelf CARR and WMC bolts. carrillo can make a stronger rod and there are other options too.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 08-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
those are both considered off the shelf CARR and WMC bolts. carrillo can make a stronger rod and there are other options too.
What rods would you suggest for 300+ HP per rod?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 TT Engine build Requirements