997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 TT Engine build Requirements

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 04:58 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
We bill a flat 30hr for the engine R&R and for removing and replacing the accessories down to a long block. Everything usually comes apart pretty quick, but cleaning and reassembling everything takes a good chunk of that time. The engine build itself is a flat 40hr plus time for certain mods from pinned coolant pipes, pinned cams, shuffle pin case, etc.
So that's 30hrs plus 40hrs for the build itself (plus any other stuff like you mentioned)? 70hrs is not a ridiculous amount. Well ok I guess it depends on what the per hour cost is, lol.

Thanks for the info guys. I had just read previously that if the cams need to be pinned then just go ahead and upgrade rods etc... "while in there". But now it doesn't sound to me that it is really "while in there", more like a conscious effort to do a build at a time when the engine is already out.

So far so good with the actuator swap so perhaps this discussion is moot for me right now. Fingers crossed.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 PM
roncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond repute
997.1 TT Engine build Requirements

Originally Posted by The Bogg
So that's 30hrs plus 40hrs for the build itself (plus any other stuff like you mentioned)? 70hrs is not a ridiculous amount. Well ok I guess it depends on what the per hour cost is, lol.

Thanks for the info guys. I had just read previously that if the cams need to be pinned then just go ahead and upgrade rods etc... "while in there". But now it doesn't sound to me that it is really "while in there", more like a conscious effort to do a build at a time when the engine is already out.

So far so good with the actuator swap so perhaps this discussion is moot for me right now. Fingers crossed.
I would anticipate 10k minimum just in labor according to what Evolution just posted. To put this in perspective 30 hrs isn't crazy, it covers a lot of unexpected issues. With that being said I had exactly 21 hours in pulling my engine and trans taking it down the the long block and putting it all back together It was my first time and I could have been more efficient.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:26 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
What exactly does taking it down to the long block mean? sorry, noob here, lol.

I don't think that the guy who pinned my coolant pipes made any money on the job. But he did get some experience, and that will help him with the next jobs. I would probably just pay the extra money for an "experienced" builder if I was going to build the engine because I get the impression this is a complicated engine. Hats off to you guys that drop your own engines and work on them.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:52 AM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
What exactly does taking it down to the long block mean? sorry, noob here, lol.

I don't think that the guy who pinned my coolant pipes made any money on the job. But he did get some experience, and that will help him with the next jobs. I would probably just pay the extra money for an "experienced" builder if I was going to build the engine because I get the impression this is a complicated engine. Hats off to you guys that drop your own engines and work on them.
He means taking all the accessory stuff off, IM, sensors, oil cooler, wiring harness. Long block = completely assembled motor with heads, short block = heads off, just crank rods & pistons.