997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need some Diagnostic help - Limp Mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:18 AM
cby1 is on a distinguished road
Need some Diagnostic help - Limp Mode?

Hi All.

Wasn't sure exactly what to search for, as I'm not sure what I have is a Limp mode situation - no CEL, I can tell you that.

Mods: EVOMsit Tune, Fabspeed "quiet" exhaust, Hi-flow cats, Lightweight flywheel (would not repeat that :-( ) - all done over a year ago, and no issues until now. Stock intake.

Anyway, the other day I hit the throttle, and the car felt like the turbos were gone. Then I did it again, and noticed I was only getting 3-4 psi indicated on the gauge. Turned car off, back on - Viola - turbos back. Next time I started it, no/low boost again. Turn off, turn back on, boost back.

Also took it out on the highway for a test, at 70 in 5th, floored it, got the usual boost up to indicated 15 psi (and probably more with the mods), and then it felt like I hit the rev limiter (which I did not), and it fell back to 8 psi immediately.

Car does not miss at all, just the boost disappears. Thoughts?

Thanks much.
Chris

Old 08-29-2015, 11:30 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
This will be difficult to Dx online, based on info provided and no CE codes. Also the sporadic behavior will likely require you to have some data logs for anyone to see what is going on when the boost drops.

Some initial things to check of course would be that your boos hoses and all others are tight and not leaking. Based on some of your behavior, I would also check the VTG Actuators to be certain they are not corroded, stuck, or popped off.

Beyond that, I think you will need more information/logs??

Hope that helps.

DC

Old 08-29-2015, 02:29 PM
It does, thanks. I'm taking it in to a local speed shop - I just wanted to have some ideas from those who know going in - things beyond "bad gas", "too lean", fuel pump, etc. - basic fuel issues, that is. You've given me some alternatives.

Once they look it over, I'll have more information.

Thanks again.

Chris

Old 08-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cby1
Hi All.

Wasn't sure exactly what to search for, as I'm not sure what I have is a Limp mode situation - no CEL, I can tell you that.

Mods: EVOMsit Tune, Fabspeed "quiet" exhaust, Hi-flow cats, Lightweight flywheel (would not repeat that :-( ) - all done over a year ago, and no issues until now. Stock intake.

Anyway, the other day I hit the throttle, and the car felt like the turbos were gone. Then I did it again, and noticed I was only getting 3-4 psi indicated on the gauge. Turned car off, back on - Viola - turbos back. Next time I started it, no/low boost again. Turn off, turn back on, boost back.

Also took it out on the highway for a test, at 70 in 5th, floored it, got the usual boost up to indicated 15 psi (and probably more with the mods), and then it felt like I hit the rev limiter (which I did not), and it fell back to 8 psi immediately.

Thanks much.
Chris
We are on the same boat, Evoms is checking into it!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cby1
Hi All.

Thanks much.
Chris
Have you had the car checked for fault codes? I would recommend starting there as well as getting a datalog during a full throttle pull if possible. Feel free to call (480-317-9911) or email me (sstone@evoms.com) and I can assist directly in troubleshooting.

Sam

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 09-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks. It's being looked at for codes and whatever else as we speak.

I just realized I never gave you all some basic info:

2008 997 turbo, about 25K miles.

Chris