997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 TT Build Take 3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 07:08 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by prodigymb
how are the stock rods looking?
Rods are straight as an arrow ..... I'm pretty surprised honestly.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:19 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Apparently you weren't making enough power .

Old 11-17-2015, 07:20 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
Apparently you weren't making enough power .
Yeah, I guess I needed more long 5-6 gear pulls

Old 11-18-2015, 03:42 AM
xfgjgyuj is on a distinguished road
Your build is where I want to be when I return to the U.S. I can't wait to see your journey and thoughts after the build! GL!

Old 11-18-2015, 06:39 AM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
Great to hear your rods are good, I think it gives peace of mind to others that are still on stock blocks looking for around the same power level.

How many miles would you say you put on the car with the round 2 mods? Looked to be around 2 months before you started to upgrade again.

Great info btw, keep it coming!

Old 11-18-2015, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by rob.boost
Great to hear your rods are good, I think it gives peace of mind to others that are still on stock blocks looking for around the same power level.

How many miles would you say you put on the car with the round 2 mods? Looked to be around 2 months before you started to upgrade again.

Great info btw, keep it coming!
I put about 3000 miles on the engine with this build. We did do some hard 4th and 5th gear pulls on the dyno and several 800+WHP pulls in Mexico. I didn't bang on the car every day but it did some hard pulls at the power it was and showed zero signs of stress. Looking at how small the stock rods are, I can't believe they didn't bend. Pretty impressive engineering in this engine.....

Old 11-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
take them apart and line them up on a flat surface, then look through the wristpin holes of all 6

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 11-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Those look great to me James. You had a great knock free tune on there with appropriate octane and I honestly suspected nothing else. Freak accidents, bad octane and in some cases inability of monitoring/ignorance/misunderstanding (e.g. cranking boost on a boost controller because one can/easy to do) are what seem to cause issues at times too early on this motor for the power/torque they're making.

Looking forward to your updates very soon.

Cheers -

Dzenno@PTF

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 11-19-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Smile

I thought I'd post an update because it's been awhile.....

SRM is shipping my bottom end parts out this week (Pistons/Cylinders/Studs/Studs adapter/Rods). The heads are scheduled to be completed by the end of the week also.

I ended up picking up a tig welder last week. It does AC/DC and I got all the goodies to do every metal I'll ever need it for. Last year, I paid $2750 to have a couple short pieces of tubing welded. I bought the entire welding set up for less money. I've decided to make my own exhaust and other parts..... That seems like a much better investment to me. I've been playing with it and will have some nice beads very shortly. I'm feeling pretty good about that purchase.

On to another purchase..... I was looking to get a more "positive" shifter for my car. I was torn on the numeric and the CAE shifters. My goal to this build was to make a lot of power, but feel/look stock. I really liked the short throw of the CAE but wasn't sure if I wanted the tall tower sticking out in the interior. I can imagine the shifter being in the way of the touch screen radio when I need to change it constantly.... regardless, I thought the CAE was cool and reached out to Hard Motorsport. I asked Jake if he had some type of discount for a 6Speed member who could say nice things about their shifter in my build thread. Quite honestly, the shifter is grossly overpriced at $1570. He said he couldn't give a discount, but would cover the shipping. I said that would work as long as it came by air, ground USPS is taking 5 weeks from USA-CAN right now and has an $80 duty charge on arrival. The cost of the shipping is about $30 to the company and the bulk of the charge is made on arrival by me. $30 is not much of a savings on a $1570 shifter. I went ahead and got a quote for him for $94 USD to ship via Fedex air. This is the discount he would be giving me on the $1570 shifter. He said his boss wouldn't approve it as it would basically eat up ALL of their profit. I responded asking "how much his boss was wiling to pay for the shipping?". I thought, if he was willing to discount $40 for the shipping, I could pay the $54 difference and have them send it by air. His response was that he has wasted enough time on the emails to me and that he would adjust the shipping at his discretion and that if it takes 5 1/2 weeks to get to me, he's sorry. He ended the email with "My offer expires end of business day". I guess there is just no way he could take that $30 risk tomorrow on the shipping? It would have to be today! Needless to say, I went directly to the numeric website, ordered a shifter and cables.... received an instant 10% discount ($115) and got the shifter AND cables shipped to my door for $1105 all in. I saved $465 USD, and will have a beautiful stock fitting shifter WITH nice upgraded cables in 3 days to my door.

So it looks like I have found another lousy, over priced vendor that I can suggest no one uses in the Porsche after market scene. Unfortunately, this is pretty much the standard of what exists in this market. 2000% mark-up, unavailable support and not interested in selling their products. I guess if you have a few customers looking to spend $250,000 each, you don't need the 1000's of other customers?

Last edited by vr6tee; 12-09-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:12 PM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
Good one on the welder! That's something I've had on my personal projects list (this list grows bigger every year) for a while now.

As far as the discount on the shifter: So $94 was going to eat up ALL their profit margin? WOW really?!? How do they do manage to stay in business? (sarcasm)

-Jose

Originally Posted by vr6tee
I thought I'd post an update because it's been awhile.....

SRM is shipping my bottom end parts out this week (Pistons/Cylinders/Studs/Studs adapter/Rods). The heads are scheduled to be completed by the end of the week also.

I ended up picking up a tig welder last week. It does AC/DC and I got all the goodies to do every metal I'll ever need it for. Last year, I paid $2750 to have a couple short pieces of tubing welded. I bought the entire welding set up for less money. I've decided to make my own exhaust and other parts..... That seems like a much better investment to me. I've been playing with it and will have some nice beads very shortly. I'm feeling pretty good about that purchase.

On to another purchase..... I was looking to get a more "positive" shifter for my car. I was torn on the numeric and the CAE shifters. My goal to this build was to make a lot of power, but feel/look stock. I really liked the short throw of the CAE but wasn't sure if I wanted the tall tower sticking out in the interior. I can imagine the shifter being in the way of the touch screen radio when I need to change it constantly.... regardless, I thought the CAE was cool and reached out to Hard Motorsport. I asked Jake if he had some type of discount for a 6Speed member who could say nice things about their shifter in my build thread. Quite honestly, the shifter is grossly overpriced at $1570. He said he couldn't give a discount, but would cover the shipping. I said that would work as long as it came by air, ground USPS is taking 5 weeks from USA-CAN right now and has an $80 duty charge on arrival. The cost of the shipping is about $30 to the company and the bulk of the charge is made on arrival by me. $30 is not much of a savings on a $1570 shifter. I went ahead and got a quote for him for $94 USD to ship via Fedex air. This is the discount he would be giving me on the $1570 shifter. He said his boss wouldn't approve it as it would basically eat up ALL of their profit. I responded asking "how much his boss was wiling to pay for the shipping?". I thought, if he was willing to discount $40 for the shipping, I could pay the $54 difference and have them send it by air. His response was that he has wasted enough time on the emails to me and that he would adjust the shipping at his discretion and that if it takes 5 1/2 weeks to get to me, he's sorry. He ended the email with "My offer expires end of business day". I guess there is just no way he could take that $30 risk tomorrow on the shipping? It would have to be today! Needless to say, I went directly to the numeric website, ordered a shifter and cables.... received an instant 10% discount ($115) and got the shifter AND cables shipped to my door for $1105 all in. I saved $465 USD, and will have a beautiful stock fitting shifter WITH nice upgraded cables in 3 days to my door.

So it looks like I have found another lousy, over priced vendor that I can suggest no one uses in the Porsche after market scene. Unfortunately, this is pretty much the standard of what exists in this market. 2000% mark-up, unavailable support and not interested in selling their products. I guess if you have a few customers looking to spend $250,000 each, you don't need the 1000's of other customers?

Old 12-10-2015, 03:05 PM
wintermute is on a distinguished road
Wow that numeric shifter is a piece of sculpture, I'd be tempted to just put it on my office desk. Looks like it will be fun to install.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
lol - glad you went another direction on the shifter - why give your hard earned money to someone who doesn't deserve it.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:10 PM
When you deal with a professional business..... The transaction for this shifter was awesome from start to finish. It arrived 12 hours after it was shipped!!!

The shifter is absolutely beautiful, I can't wait to install it.

Attached Images    
Old 12-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
you mean to tell us there is no mark up in a 1500$ shifter assembly? mind blown ! lol !

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 12-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
you mean to tell us there is no mark up in a 1500$ shifter assembly? mind blown ! lol !
There is only $30 profit on the $1570 shifter (It costs $22 for materials, and $1525 for R&D ) ..... on the $699 shifter I bought, they had enough margin to reduce it to $600 for forum members. Maybe I should email CAE the info for Numeric so they can find a new manufacturer for their products? I don't know where all the profit is being made, CAE or Hard Motorsport, but there's definitely a crap load in it. I guess profit doesn't mean much if people aren't buying them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 TT Build Take 3