997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 TT Build Take 3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:22 AM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
997.1 TT Build Take 3

Well, winter is nearing already! We have 6-8 weeks of "summer/fall" left where I come from and I've been getting the itch to work on the car again.

I will call the Switzer Take 2 build a huge success, the car starts/runs/drives as good as it did the day I bought it. The ERP clutch has gotten smoother over time although I wouldn't say it feels like stock. The car made around 1000 HP on a dynojet and it pulls really hard. I currently don't have a single issue with the car! Logic would say to leave it alone, I have the best of everything ..... it looks and feels like stock and pulls like a race car. I'm daily driving it and love the car. Unfortunately I'm a die hard car guy and I can't stop...... so upward and onward to Take 3.

I built a 900 HP AWD VW over 20 years and I learned a valuable lesson... There was a point I crossed where the car was not enjoyable to drive daily and no longer looked/drove stock. I will never cross that with the Porsche. I'm not going to sacrifice drivability or looks for performance. This makes for a fine line on how far I can go with Take 3. I've set a goal of 1300 WHP.

I'm a guy who likes to do EVERYTHING I can myself. I hate relying on other people and trust that I can do the job right. With that being said, I've decided to source everything from 1 shop. I'm sourcing all my parts for this project from Sean at SRM. I talk to the guy quite a bit and it doesn't feel like I'm talking to a guy who wants to sell me parts. He's a long time car enthusiast like me. We just BS about cars/mods and ideas on how to make things better. I also really like the fact that when something he needs doesn't exist he just makes it?! I've decided to undertake the entire engine build myself in my garage. I will send the heads off for porting/valve job. I know every single bolt on my VW and want to get the same with the 997. It's easy to work on a car you've completely disassembled and reassembled This project has a scope of 6 months. The first 3 being parts collecting. The goal is to have it running and ready to dyno by March 2016.

On to Take 3:
---------------
- SRM fuel system - E85/98
- 2150 cc injectors
- 3.8L pistons/cylinders
- Carrillo rods w/CARR bolts
- oversized valves/springs
- ported heads/manifolds
- EvoMS camshafts - stage 2
- 12 mm head studs with hell-fire gaskets
- Custom intake manifold/plenum
- Custom X-Pipe intake pipe
- SRM headers with waste-gate flanges
- PTE 6266 Turbos
- stainless braided -4 vacuum lines
- DSS axles
- torque biased diff
- Tilton triple disk

Updates and pics coming soon .....

Last edited by vr6tee; 10-27-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:44 AM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
997.1 TT Build Take 3

Can't wait! Last thread was great!!!

Old 09-01-2015, 10:57 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Your build is where I want to be when I return to the U.S. I can't wait to see your journey and thoughts after the build! GL!

Old 09-01-2015, 11:27 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Beef up that trans for 1200 wheel. I'd give Rader a call I'm in the sa3me boat.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:08 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Xona 7864 would work well for your goals as opposed to PTE.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
James, I have to tell you, I know exactly what you mean by being there done that when it comes to crossing the line for a given platform. The trick though is knowing where that is ahead of time which is quite hard as in a lot of cases failures on more unique higher power builds aren't really being documented well out there and outside of the handful of shops that do get builds such as that going only a few really get to find out the true picture of what it means to be at X whp for Y platform. It takes time/testing/breaking/experience/money/stress and all of that over again, a few times over, until you can reflect and think back to where that power level was where you could beat on it and daily drive it without truly impacting daily drivability aspects for a given platform.

997.1 platform is one of the unique examples though and more is being done with it every day still, 8-9 years since the car was first released.

Your build sheet looks pretty much spot on for a straight forward bottom end reinforcement with a touch more displacement. The only thing I'm not sure of and you know this already is Precision turbos. They've come a long way for sure but with so many other options out there, I'm not sure I'd personally go with them over Forced Performance HTA offerings for instance. A pair of 3586s with .82 Tial housings I think would get you where you want to be. No big deal either way though. I'd worry more about putting a motor such as this one together myself. Its not hard as some make it ought to be but when its the first time you know how it is as with anything.

We'll be looking to do a very similar build soon on our 997.1 to take it further and it might be this winter's project as well.

Best of luck and as always feel free to ping me if you need anything at all.

Dzenno@PTF

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 09-01-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:41 PM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
Looks good.. I am looking to tear mine down this winter as well. Although winter in TX is mainly just a few weeks end of Jan and early Feb

im doing:
SRM fuel system (right now only have the pumps)
triple disk clutch
BBI slave
cams
stock pistons (probably coat crowns)
port the heads myself, stock valves
pauter rods
12mm studs

my goal is 1000rw reliably.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:11 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
Your build sheet looks pretty much spot on for a straight forward bottom end reinforcement with a touch more displacement. The only thing I'm not sure of and you know this already is Precision turbos. They've come a long way for sure but with so many other options out there, I'm not sure I'd personally go with them over Forced Performance HTA offerings for instance. A pair of 3586s with .82 Tial housings I think would get you where you want to be. No big deal either way though. I'd worry more about putting a motor such as this one together myself. Its not hard as some make it ought to be but when its the first time you know how it is as with anything.
Agreed on FP, but the Xona 7864 is FP HTZ aero, the new center cartridge, and all the new tech they have been working on.

http://www.forcedperformance.net/mer...Xona-Universal

Call Robert at FP and tell him what you're doing... He will give you the right turbo.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rix
Agreed on FP, but the Xona 7864 is FP HTZ aero, the new center cartridge, and all the new tech they have been working on.

http://www.forcedperformance.net/mer...Xona-Universal

Call Robert at FP and tell him what you're doing... He will give you the right turbo.
Very nice! I haven't checked with them recently, this would definitely be my top choice.

#xonaeverything

Old 09-01-2015, 01:27 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Talking

Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
James, I have to tell you, I know exactly what you mean by being there done that when it comes to crossing the line for a given platform. The trick though is knowing where that is ahead of time which is quite hard as in a lot of cases failures on more unique higher power builds aren't really being documented well out there and outside of the handful of shops that do get builds such as that going only a few really get to find out the true picture of what it means to be at X whp for Y platform. It takes time/testing/breaking/experience/money/stress and all of that over again, a few times over, until you can reflect and think back to where that power level was where you could beat on it and daily drive it without truly impacting daily drivability aspects for a given platform.

997.1 platform is one of the unique examples though and more is being done with it every day still, 8-9 years since the car was first released.

We'll be looking to do a very similar build soon on our 997.1 to take it further and it might be this winter's project as well.

Best of luck and as always feel free to ping me if you need anything at all.

Dzenno@PTF
Dzenno,
Thanks for the input, you're always available to help and offer advice. I think in the next 2 years the Porsche tuning world is going to open up. Until now, a few companies held on to information about this platform but a lot of enthusiasts are starting to open it up and show what's possible, I'm looking forward to being part of it.

Everyone is hating on the PTE turbos on here. (This is only a 6 speed thing). I've done hours of reading and found 50% who swear by PTE and 50% who swear by FP/Tial. I've never ran a water cooled turbo before this platform, nor do any of the people I know. Air cooled is simple and works. Both companies have Aero wheels and similar housings. The PTE stuff has proven to flow really well and the Gen2 stuff is supposed to be rock solid. I believe it will out spool the HTA stuff. The Xona Rotor is not proven by anyone I know. This makes my choice come down to previous experience and price. I can get the PTE turbos for less than I can get Xona Rotor turbos and have buddies who have made big power on them. I did look into the 3586 HTZ. I called forced performance and a guy Mike told me that I can put the 3586 HTZ in an Alpha housing with the .84 cover and .82 A/R. I later found out it's NOT possible to put the 3586 inside an Alpha housing. At that point it made all turbos equal again so I re-looked at the PTE turbos. The good news is if I'm wrong I can always buy new turbos

I'll admit I've never touched a Porsche engine. I know there's a 1000 parts to remove to get the engine apart, but I want to learn about it and I "believe" it's not going to be any more difficult than any other engine. I like being able to press in some pre-bored cylinders, check my bearing clearances, file down the oil pump, set my ring gap for big power and put it all back together..... My attitude could change by the end of the build though

Old 09-01-2015, 02:18 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jordonmusser
Looks good.. I am looking to tear mine down this winter as well. Although winter in TX is mainly just a few weeks end of Jan and early Feb

im doing:
SRM fuel system (right now only have the pumps)
triple disk clutch
BBI slave
cams
stock pistons (probably coat crowns)
port the heads myself, stock valves
pauter rods
12mm studs

my goal is 1000rw reliably.
no need for the slave if you go tilton, something to consider.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Former Vendor
I've been tuning the new PTE Gen2s and they're indeed doing really well. It was more around the lines of personal preferences so please do ignore that comment on my end and in any case its something that isn't a big deal at the end of the day to change out anyways.

Let me fix my previous hashtag by saying: #xonaisnteverything

In terms of the new HTZ wheels and Alpha housings with FP that's news to me as they just recently made those changes. I'm running their HTA 3794 currently and its got a Tial exhaust housing but I guess I need to get in touch with them and get updated on their new offerings.

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 09-01-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:53 PM
What about the EFR 7163's? I've seen these out spool anything else on the market in the 900-1100hp range. They'll probably do more, but that's the only area I've seen them run.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dhahlen
What about the EFR 7163's? I've seen these out spool anything else on the market in the 900-1100hp range. They'll probably do more, but that's the only area I've seen them run.
Its on the small size for the above build.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
A few things come quickly to mind:
1) A PTE 6262 or 6266 might be better suited for the 3.8L build and your power goals.
2) EVOMS sells Turbo cams, specifically
  • Stock = 265 Intake/245 Exhaust
  • Stage 1 = 290 Intake/270 Exhaust
  • Stage 2 = 315 Intake/290 Exhaust
There are also Stage 3s, but that factors into my next question
3) Tuning - Are you planning on staying stock DME with an EBC, or are you looking at any aftermarket ECUs - Motor, ProEFI & Syvecs seem to be the big 3 in the Porsche community. I believe SRM uses ProEFI (at least remember seeing it on his Instagram). Also, do you have a tuner in mind?
4) With all this power, have you considered upgrading other supporting pieces -- Suspension, Engine Mounts, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 TT Build Take 3