997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo vs. 996 Turbo purchase dilemma

Old 09-05-2015, 12:32 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cadamson
Yeah, I don't know why they put it down as a GT3 rs either. From the limited interaction I've had with this dealer, I can say I'm not a fan. Originally they said it would take about 3 hours, and they ended up having the car for over 24 hours, and all they basically did was a visual inspection! I understand why they couldn't drive it, but that kind of puts me in a bad spot as far as figuring out exactly what I'm getting in to. I had planned on spending a few thousand fixing it up upon purchase, I just want to make sure there aren't any surprises like bad turbos, tranny, or anything major.
The coolant leaks are not fun, I had to replace two radiators and drop the engine twice to fix the main pipes leaking.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:58 AM
cadamson is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
The coolant leaks are not fun, I had to replace two radiators and drop the engine twice to fix the main pipes leaking.
Enigmatic issues like that are what I'm trying to steer clear of, although I'm not sure if that is entirely possible, haha. What finally led you to find the root of the problem?

Old 09-05-2015, 07:07 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cadamson
Enigmatic issues like that are what I'm trying to steer clear of, although I'm not sure if that is entirely possible, haha. What finally led you to find the root of the problem?
Well the radiators are easy to spot, the pipes over the engine is harder. At least one can get a peak on the right side pipe in the engine bay.

But dropping the engine was the final call to find the root cause.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Well the radiators are easy to spot, the pipes over the engine is harder. At least one can get a peak on the right side pipe in the engine bay.

But dropping the engine was the final call to find the root cause.
Cool, thanks man, hopefully they can accurately diagnose it the first time and we can avoid the headache.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:22 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
McKenna, what a bunch of a holes. Did they provide an original estimate for the work? Did they call and advise that the PPI would be $600? How absurd.
Note that most of the items on that report have wildly distorted amounts, e.g the cupholders. Spoiler motors can be an issue, but are not tragic. Coolant problems are expensive. Brakes, tires, clutches, could add to your total.
This is a very high mileage car, regardless of what kind it is. I would not do it unless you are prepared to entertain very expensive issues. As mentioned earlier, cars like this are buying other people's problems.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:01 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sshu930
At 45k I would look for a clean, lightly modded or stock 996tt X50 with reasonably low mileage. Or maybe a base 997.2? I wouldn't consider any 997tt under $55k and even then I would be cautious.
there is no way you'll find a 996tt x50 for that low. To OP, I'd suggest a decent unmolested but medium mileage 997.1 TT can be had for low $50's. I'm looking and have seen a few. I'd stay away from any modded car, unless very minor. Remember the Mezger motors will go many 100k miles without any catastrophes.

djcooper@rennkit.com

Old 09-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
McKenna, what a bunch of a holes. Did they provide an original estimate for the work? Did they call and advise that the PPI would be $600? How absurd.
Note that most of the items on that report have wildly distorted amounts, e.g the cupholders. Spoiler motors can be an issue, but are not tragic. Coolant problems are expensive. Brakes, tires, clutches, could add to your total.
This is a very high mileage car, regardless of what kind it is. I would not do it unless you are prepared to entertain very expensive issues. As mentioned earlier, cars like this are buying other people's problems.
I don't know why it says $600 for the PPI, I was quoted $449 and that's what was charged to my credit card. I think the owner of the car had them check something out for him, and that's what cause the higher price. Yeah, i figured I could take care of most of those issue myself (besides the coolant leak), so I'm trying to work that out with the owner now. He'll have to come down in price and locate/repair the leak for me to consider buying it.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Socalsporty is on a distinguished road
996 911 owner seeking to upgrade to a Turbo

I am interested in moving up to a Turbo. I saw a 996 turbo with 445K miles on the odo and I have never been so jealous in my life. I dig the 911 and realize everytime I drive it how much I love driving Porsches and would really like to have a turbo as DD. I still love Boxster/Caymans, but getting a little older starting to appreciate the GT aspect of the 911, the seamless thrust of a turbo and the comfort, luxury and space the 911 offers over the smaller car. At this point a 997 would seem like the obvious choice, but hoping some owners will chime in.

My Porsche owning experience spans about 20 years. I have had a 944 Turbo S, 3 Boxsters (1 S) and a Cayman S and my current 996 911. I am not really into modding, most just had pipes and minor "hobby" type mods. I did do coilovers on the Cayman, but point being, I dont fool around with the much. Other than the 944, all of the cars ran exceptionally well and never had any major probs.

Is the 997 as bullet proof as its predecessors? Also, I am still fairly confident I want a manual, however, the power upgrade from what I am used to is so significant, I want to at least consider PDK. So my primary questions are, reliability of the 997 and the beaten to death 6spd/PDK question. Thanks -Doug

Old 10-01-2015, 02:26 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jako
I would lean towards the 997. The 996 interior appears cheap and doesn't give me the feel that your in a special car.. Same goes for the fried egg look for headlights. That said, I find the miles on the 997 a tad high. I agree that a heavily modded car could be troublesome but it sounds like this one was done with a bit of strategy.

Good luck with the decision
The miles are low for the price. To get a lower mileage non wrecked car is going to cost substantially more, which im guessing is an issue here.

My vote? Tiptronic sucks. Hold out for a nice 997 6spd.

On the 997 turbo, or a 996 turbo car for that matter. you are really really going to want a tune and an exhaust with a clutch that can handle it as a minimum, so if you find cars with those mods.....

Old 10-02-2015, 06:29 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
This on steroids.

I sold my heavily modded M3 when I was pushing it more than driving it.

It was great up until then. After a few, this last fix will set me free I was relay to get the heck out.

BTW-I am done modding. I've had too many bad experiences personally. I buy them how I want them and enjoy them.

And I did.

As long as the aftermarket rims are the correct size I would buy that car. Be careful for wider rims, it can damage the differential. Price makes me a little suspicious.

Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
$46k for a 2008 even with 80k miles seems low. Does it check out?

I would say this about heavily modified cars...in my experience you are buying someone else's headache.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Wow is it particularly difficult to add coolant?

Since they stuck you with a $600 PPI, what's another quart or two of coolant added to the tab or free water? They should've at least called you so you can consult with the current owner.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:39 AM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
a good thorough PPI from an independent Porsche performance shop (with a dyno preferrably a MUstang) is what you need regardless either 996 or 997 to eliminate potential future headaches low or high mileage means nothin it depends on its history on how it was maintained and type of mods no junk!. i'll stay away from a dealer for a PPI. A well tuned good running car with mods is fun and money in your pocket. Also, knowing the real reason (no BS) why the car is for sale is the ticket. Happy motoring!

Old 10-04-2015, 07:31 AM
MickeyMouseTT will become famous soon enoughMickeyMouseTT will become famous soon enough
It is a good dilemma to be in... Not a lot of people can have this decision to make. But just to add to the question at hand. I have owned the 996tt its a real fun car to drive around it but the interior is real bland and outdated. I now own a 997tt its a real blast to drive also the exterior and interior are more pleasing to the eyes. So definitely the 997tt.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Socalsporty is on a distinguished road
That is ridiculous. How do you know they even LOOKED AT IT????? How can you take a car in for ANY service and mis identify a turbo as a GT3??????????

Not saying those issues are not issues, but I would RUN from that place. Beyond unprofessional, that ppi is worthless.