997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Engine Build?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Engine Build?

So what started as a whining noise @ 2600-2800 RPM is going to be an engine build - at least that's what I was told.

What initially was thought of as the diff ... now diagnosed as the oil pump.

I was told that its ok and its safe to drive, but what I noticed is that its getting louder and louder.

Better safe than sorry so to speak - though I haven't heard of an oil pump failing.

The car did have about 8 ignitions of Range 6 when I bought the car almost 2 years ago. I was told that perhaps that caused the oil pump to start to go out.

Needless to say, I'm going to get a second opinion.

Though if the engine needs to get cracked open, other than rods and Sharkwerks coolant pipes .. what do you guys think should be considered as "while you're in there" ..?

Old 09-10-2015, 12:03 AM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Hate to see this but,

Water pump, plugs, coils, and consider your tune at this time. If you choose to go E85, injectors may be added to the list.

Oil pump? Haven't searched the thread (don't attack) but, I can state that its uncommon for the 997.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:05 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Tensioner, Rollers, Water Pump changed last year .. belt was done 2 weeks ago.

I suppose I'm just trying to get the collective wisdom of the forum as to the thoughts and opinion.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:14 AM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
And for wisdom, you came to the right spot. Not entirely from me but, other members also.

Spark plugs and tune would be the only two things I would have left now that I understand you current rebuild situation.

With your current status, I may have laid the tracks in front of myself. Your one step ahead.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:09 AM
AriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Talk to Boyan (Ms4cd) - he is in your neck of the woods BUT getting his car done (REBUILT) here in LA - that is how i met him... he may bounce a few ideas w you.

Also are you trying to stay stock ish ? Under 800 HP crank at all times ? or possibly get the itch later on at some point ?

Good luck Saint Ari

Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Where you seeing the oil pressure come up slowly after a startup? Basically, the oil pressure should build up after about a second or so - mine is starting to take about 3-4 seconds to come up and that is not goo!

I was wondering if you saw that before you had this issue?

Old 09-10-2015, 10:03 AM
AriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 512bb
Where you seeing the oil pressure come up slowly after a startup? Basically, the oil pressure should build up after about a second or so - mine is starting to take about 3-4 seconds to come up and that is not goo!

I was wondering if you saw that before you had this issue?
sitting at idle it will not come up.. once you rev it it should come up rather quickly... when driving better be on max (5) at all times

Old 09-10-2015, 10:09 AM
kenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond repute
My comments are... It depends on how much you are willing to spend and do you think you want an increase in power.
If more power is a thought, now is the time to increase to 3.8 (if its a 997.1) with new sleeves and pistons. Rods and injectors would also be required if you desire 800+ hp.
If you go the power route, a few external items would be nice. Intercoolers, Y-Pipe, throttle body, intake tubes, methanol injection, mufflers, exhaust and mapping the ECU. I'm probably missing one or two items but I think you must be getting the picture!! It would wind up anywhere between $30k and $50K+ depending upon your upgrades.
Otherwise, just having the coolant tubes welded, plugs and coils would be fine. Have a compression test before teardown just for peace of mind.
Drive down to Coalinga 10/24 and watch the 1/2 mile races. Or perhaps NOT!! It might persuade you to go the power route!

Old 09-10-2015, 10:21 AM
if the pump is failing I am assuming assuming you are getting a new pump OR at least get it taken apart and ultrasonically cleaned ... I did that w my pump and my case as well

Old 09-10-2015, 01:04 PM
I don't have an issue with the oil pressure.

My indy mentioned its the oil pump since she "thinks" the sound is coming from there. Truth be told, when he handed me the stethoscope, I didn't hear anything from the oil pump area when the engine was revved up.

Second opinion it is. I'm really hoping I don't have to tear everything down.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
if your going inside the motor you need to do oil pump with a gt3 double squirter , head bolts and rods. have the heads looked at possibly sonic clean everything and a simple port and polish on the exhaust side. nothing drastic all new gaskets bearings and rings if they are needed. button it up and break it in. everything else is outside the motor and can be done in stages

Old 09-13-2015, 10:40 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
I don't have an issue with the oil pressure.

My indy mentioned its the oil pump since she "thinks" the sound is coming from there. Truth be told, when he handed me the stethoscope, I didn't hear anything from the oil pump area when the engine was revved up.

Second opinion it is. I'm really hoping I don't have to tear everything down.
"... she '' thinks '' "...

That's a pretty thin diagnosis to tear into one of these engines.

Oil pumps are very reliable. Gear driven. Well lubed. Hard to imagine one going bad. In other engines the gear pump gears were rather thin and side wear of the housing or the gear wheel -- in cast iron blocks -- could have excessive clearance.

Have you removed the oil filter housing and checked for any scary debris in the filter element? Drained the oil? Run an oil analysis to see what if any "wear" metals are in the oil?

Engines can make a variety of noises, and some from serious problems, but seldom from an oil pump.

You need a 2nd and even a 3rd opinion before you give an ok to tear into the engine.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if your going inside the motor you need to do oil pump with a gt3 double squirter ,
the 997tt comes factory with teh "gt3" dual pick up oil pump.

i have never heard of one go bad and i doubt the OPs is bad. OP have you tried cutting the oild filter and seeing how that looks if there are any metal shavings there?

i would take the car elsewhere and get a 2nd and 3rd opinion before opening the engine up to replace oil pump.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 01-17-2022, 09:22 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
What happened to this case? I hope he didn’t have to tear into the engine. I don’t know why Ops don’t update these threads for us to learn.